WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
April 10, 2018
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
*News and Transitions
First Mennonite Church, Hillsboro, KS – Pastor
News and Transitions
Our sympathy to Byron and Hildalejandra Pellecer upon the death of Hilda’s mother on February 23. Byron is the WDC Associate Conference Minister (Texas-Based).
LaVerne Rutschman, retired Mennonite mission worker and theology professor, passed away in North Newton, KS on March 21.
Welcome to Beth Yoder, the new WDC Business Manager! She began her work with WDC on March 26. She can be contacted at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Comeback ChurchesBook Discussion: Pastors, at noon on April 18 come to WDC offices to have energized discussion about Comeback Churches, the book each WDC congregation received in January. How has the research of Ed Stetzer and Mike Dodson informed how your congregation shares the good news? What questions or concerns does it raise for you? Bring your lunch and join the conversation. This is part of the Year of Evangelism, sponsored by Resource Commission. (To join this meeting via Zoom video conference: Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/j/941115255, Or iPhone one-tap: US: +14086380968,,941115255# or +16468769923, 941115255#, Or Telephone: Dial (for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location): US: +1 408 638 0968 or +1 646 876 9923 or +1 669 900 6833; Meeting ID: 941 115 255)
- Upside Down King is a creative look at the life and ministry of Jesus. This bible study includes music from the musical by the same name, active and less active activities for youth through adults, and dramatic sketches all pointing toward the One who came to show us the way. Find this Anabaptist curriculum at: http://mennowdc.org/the-upside-down-bible-study/.
Camp Mennoscan announcements
- Ends April 30! Camp Mennoscah will give the following items to the person with the highest offer: two upright freezers, the stove/griddle with 2 convection ovens, and the double-decker conventional oven. As is and you are responsible for transporting the item(s). Contact us at 620-297-3290 or email@example.com make an offer or get an update on the current bid. Pictures will be on Facebook shortly.
- Men and Boys Retreat is April 20-22 at Camp Mennoscah. This retreat for all ages of men and boys requires no pre-registration. Lodging options include the cabins, staff houses, tents, bringing an RV, or just sleeping under the stars, available on a first come, first served basis. The optional meals available are Saturday supper through Sunday lunch, and will cost about $6.00 apiece. Activities include fishing, canoeing, horseshoes, basketball, ping pong, walking trails, or just relaxing. Adam Voth Unruh will be our speaker on Sunday and will be sharing about “Trusting God on your faith journey.” For questions about the retreat please contact Kevin Neufeld at 316-322-5515or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- New Kitchen Dedication! Camp Mennoscah will be dedicating the new kitchen on April 22 at 2:30pm (after Men and Boys Retreat). You’ll have a chance to walk through the new space and staff will be on hand to answer questions. More information soon!
- Events coming up at Camp Mennoscah! After Men & Boys Retreat on April 20-22, we’ve got Retirees Retreat, April 23-25, and summer youth camps all summer. Register at campmennoscah.orgor call 620-297-3290 for more information. Bring a friend!
- Grab your paring knives and aprons! Camp Mennoscah’s got a brand new kitchen and we’re looking for kitchen helpers to test it out. We need kitchen staff for June 24-30, July 8-12, July 15-21, and July 29-Aug. 3. No great skills are needed–just a willing heart, listening ears, and a love of camp and youth. Parent discounts up to full camp fees are available. Contact us at 620-297-3290 or email@example.com. Free tee shirt, too!
- “Rebuilding the Whale!” Camp Mennoscah plans to start construction of the new playground, “The Whale,” in mid-April, and we’ll be looking for volunteers to come out and help! Stay tuned to your church bulletins, e-mail, and social media for the types of work we’ll be doing, dates, and times. With your help, we’ll have it ready to go for summer youth camps!
Mennonite church announcements
- Graduate Students in Healthcare Professions: Mennonite Healthcare Fellowship (MHF) offers educational grants for Anabaptist students to learn and serve in cross-cultural mission/service settings in developing countries. Deadline for 2018-19 academic year is May 15, 2018. For details and application form, see www.mennohealth.org/student_term/, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 1-888-406-3643.
- Healthcare Workers, Students, Retirees! You are invited to the Mennonite Healthcare Fellowship Annual Gathering 2018, June 22-24, 2018, at Bluffton University, Bluffton, Ohio. Come join doctors, nurses, dieticians, therapists, chaplains, mental health workers, students, educators, and other healthcare workers and families for a weekend of worship, inspiration, learning, networking, and fellowship. The theme this year is “Stories of Healing.” For more information and registration, visit www.mennohealth.org/gathering/, call 1-888-406-3643, or email email@example.com.
- VBS leaders, Mennonite Central Committee has once again compiled a list of potential MCC giving projects that correspond with the various VBS curriculums available to you. We hope you find this list (attached) helpful and please be in contact with us if you have questions or would like more information!316-283-2720, firstname.lastname@example.org
WDC Sprouts announcement guidelines: Announcements should pertain to Western District Conference (WDC) ministries and churches, institutions with which WDC has formal relationships, and Mennonite Church USA agencies and ministries.
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117