WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
September 5, 2017
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
- The September/October/November 2017 issue of WDC Garden has been mailed to churches and is also available online: https://mennowdc.org/wdc-garden-septemberoctobernovember-2017/
- Western District Conference invites contributions to support our churches in the Houston, TX, area following the hurricane there. 100% of the contributions to the WDC Harvey Relief fund will be distributed directly to WDC congregations in the Houston area, to assist them as they help members and neighbors in their communities. Please make checks payable to WDC, designated for Hurricane Relief, and send to WDC at PO Box 306, North Newton, KS 67117. Contributions may also be made online at mennowdc.org. Thank you for your generosity!
- West Zion Mennonite Church, 101 South Washington, Moundridge, KS, will host a benefit concert for Mennonite Disaster Service in relation to Hurricane Harvey’s damage to parts of Texas and Louisiana. The concert will be at 2 pm on September 10 and will feature a vocal quartet called Family & Friends. The quartet’s members are Doug Huxman, Steve & Amy Sherbenou, & Jan Gilmore, accompanied by Donna Stucky. The group sings an eclectic mix of music and this concert will include sacred music in styles ranging from traditional to gospel/jazz to upbeat modern tempos. No admission will be charged, but a free-will offering will be received which will be given in its entirety to Mennonite Disaster Service to aid in recovery efforts in the aftermath of the devastating storms and flooding in Texas & Louisiana.
- “Fall into a Good Book” with the Conference Resource Library’s Fall Story Hour. Join leader Carol Flickinger for stories, rhymes, and fun Thursdays September 28 through November 16 at 10:00am. Sign up at https://goo.gl/forms/ZpYYWCRbiFdSLgbU2or by contacting the library at email@example.com or (316)283-6300. Please sign up by September 21
Mennonite Church Announcements
- IBA BENEFIT DINNER – The annual Instituto Bíblico Anabautista (IBA) benefit dinner will take place Friday, September 15 at 6:30 pm at First Mennonite Church in Newton, KS. A smothered pork burrito dinner will be prepared and served by Chef Carlos Lujano. A short program will follow, featuring testimony from IBA students Vicky Velazquez and Jose Suastegui, a dance performance by the children of Iglesia Menonita Casa Betania and some words and greetings from our new director, Marco Güete. Dinner is by donation. This is a great opportunity for a Sunday School class, small group or individuals to come and hear how IBA is equipping Hispanic leaders in Mennonite Church USA for ministry. IBA is a program of Mennonite Education Agency’s Hispanic Ministries for Leadership Development and Pastoral Education. For any inquires contact Violeta Ajquejay at:VioletaA@MennoniteEducation.org or call 316-281-4342.
- #ActionAlert from MCC – All the Mennonite Central Committee Material Resources Centers in the U.S. need a combined total of 7000 comforters by November! Yes, you read that right, 7000 comforters are needed to fulfill the requests from MCC partner organizations in Iraq, North Korea and Syria! Save the dates to join the effort at the MCC Mini Comforter Blitz at the MCC Center in North Newton, Kansas on September 29 and 30. Check mcc.org/comforter-blitzfor more details, or contact firstname.lastname@example.org, 316.283.2720.
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620