WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
September 12, 2017
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
*News and Transitions
First Mennonite Church, McPherson, KS – Pastor
News and Transitions
Our sympathy to Christina Litwiller, Pastor at Salina (KS) Mennonite Church, upon the death of her father, Floyd Litwiller on August 18 in Hopedale, IL.
- Western District Conference invites contributions to support our churches in the Houston, TX, area following the hurricane there. 100% of the contributions to the WDC Harvey Relief fund will be distributed directly to WDC congregations in the Houston area, to assist them as they help members and neighbors in their communities. Please make checks payable to WDC, designated for Hurricane Relief, and send to WDC at PO Box 306, North Newton, KS 67117. Contributions may also be made online at mennowdc.org. Thank you for your generosity!
- Missing books – Some books from the Resource Library didn’t make it back from Annual Assembly in Texas. If they went home with you, please let us know if you need them longer or return them to the library. Missing: Biblia par ninos Historias de Jesus / The Jesus Storybook Bibleby Zonderkidz, Marisol McDonald and the clash bash / Marisol McDonald y la fiesta sin igual by Monica Brown, Los 5 lenguajes del amor de los niñosby Gary Chapman, and Jesús y sus amigos / Jesus and his friends by Kelly Pulley.
Camp Mennoscah announcements
- Celebration for Kelly! Kelly Stucky, long-time program director of Senior High Camp, has announced that he is retiring. We will celebrate his 19 years as program director at the Camp Mennoscah annual meeting on October 1st (meeting begins at 5:30pm) and welcome all to attend. Please RSVP online or call us at 620-297-3290. We also invite everyone to share pictures, notes of gratitude, and memories. These will be gathered into a scrapbook of sorts for Kelly. Send them to Camp Mennoscah at firstname.lastname@example.org by mail to Olivia Bartel, PO Box 65, Murdock, KS 67111. You are welcome to bring them with you to the annual meeting, too!
- Camp Mennoscah invites you and everyone you know to Work & Play Camp from September 29 to October 3! It’s a blast for folks of all ages. We’ll be working on projects and making camp shiny from head to toe. Interspersed with all that fun will be breaks, devotions, and friends to chat with and play games. On Sunday, October 1, we’ll break from our routine with worship and the annual meeting. Come for a day or for the full camp. NO COST for this retreat! Please let us know you’re coming by registering online at campmennoscah.orgor calling 620-297-3290.
- Camp Mennoscah’s Annual Meeting is October 1 at 5:30pm in the Camp Mennoscah dining hall. Everyone is invited! Please RSVP by registering online at campmennoscah.orgor calling 620-297-3290. The meeting will include a Live Auction Fundraiser with meals for 6-10 people up for bid, hosted by board members and supporters of Camp Mennoscah. Meals include “Mic Drop” Lasagna and Cheesecake, an Old-fashioned Sunday Dinner, Bed and Breakfast at Bluestem, and a German Sausage Tasting. The agenda also includes recognition of Kelly Stucky’s 19 years as the Senior High Camp program director, updates on the dining hall and kitchen renovations, and stories from campers about Camp Mennoscah’s impact in life and faith.
- Scrapbook and Craft Retreats for everyone! Pack up your pictures, punches, stamps and scissors and join us for one of our fall retreats, Nov. 3-5 and Nov. 15-17. Enjoy the weekend however you’d like–create page after page of scrapbook and crafty artworks or take fall walks by the river. Register online at campmennoscah.orgor call us at 620-297-3290for a paper registration. Retreats often fill up!
Mennonite church announcements
1. MCC is providing relief assistance in Nepal, India and Bangladesh after two weeks of severe monsoon rains displaced more than 1.7 million people and killed 1,246 in the region. We are working with partners to provide emergency food, water, tarps, mosquito nets and hygiene kits to those affected. MCC welcomes your support for our relief work in the area. www.mcc.org/south-asia-flood-relief
2. Save the Dates for the MCC Mini Comforter Blitz September 29 & 30 at the MCC Material Resources Center in North Newton, Kansas! MCC is in need of 7000 comforters to meet our partner requests by November. Requests for comforters from areas affected by current natural disasters will make that number climb higher. Check mcc.org/comforter-blitz for more details, or contact email@example.com, 316.283.2720.
- Baked goods donations are needed for Bethel College Fall Festival October 14 – for the Market in the Round (zwieback, cinnamon rolls, cookies, bars, brownies etc ) and the Pie By The Slice booth (whole 9″ pies in foil pans- fruit pies, pecan pies, No Cream Pies please). Items can be dropped off at the Fine Arts Center or the Student Center Seminar A on Friday evening or Saturday morning.
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620