WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
May 7, 2019
A weekly communication for WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
- Israel-Palestine Workshops: Want more reasons to attend #MennoCon19? The WDC Israel-Palestine Task Force encourages you to faithfully respond to the Israel Palestine conflict and the MC USA resolution, Seeking Peace in Israel and Palestine: A Resolution for MCUSA, by taking in several workshops, including:
- Building Relationships with Jewish Communities
- Walking in Someone Else’s Shoes
- Holy Scriptures, Holy People
- What to Do about Gaza?
- Seeking Peace in Israel and Palestine: A Resolution Update
- Israel-Palestine 101
- Mennonites and the Holocaust
- Rainbow Mennonite Church, Kansas City, KS invites all to an ecumenical gathering on International Conscientious Objection Day– Wednesday, May 15 from 6-7 pm. A special focus of this gathering will be to dedicate engraved stones remembering those who, in the spirit of two cherished Bible passages (Isaiah 2:4 and Luke 19:42), were conscientious objectors of WW1. The memorial stones will be placed on the premises of the nation’s only World War 1 Museum and Memorial, at the entrance, near those stones already dedicated by the Hutterites in 2017 at the Remembering Muted Voices Symposium (https://www.theworldwar.org/learn/remembering-muted-voices). Although entrance to the ceremony is free and open to the public, it is preferred that you RSVP at: https://my.theworldwar.org/4216. For questions, please contact Paul Cesare, Peace Coordinator at First Central Church of the Brethren, by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org Ruth Harder, pastor of Rainbow Mennonite Church at email@example.com.
Camp Mennoscah announcements
- Nurses needed for June 9-15 and June 23-29! Camp Mennoscah is seeking a nurse for Junior High I Camp (June 9-15) and Junior I Camp (June 23-29). These positions come with either a stipend or a full camper discount. Nurses need to be licensed in Kansas and be a RN (or equivalent). Please contact us at 620-297-3290 or firstname.lastname@example.org! Our nurses are greatly valued and much loved!
- It’s fun and it’s faith formation! Camp Mennoscah has openings for more summer youth campers for grades 3 to High School (fall 2019). Just go online to www.campmennoscah.organd click on Register Online at the top of the page. Weeks will be filled with worship, singing, Bible study, friendship bracelets, swimming and river play, and gobs of other fun stuff. Our theme is Peace Works: Empowering Peacemakers. Call 620-297-3290 for more information.
- Kitchen staff! Don’t miss out on this grand, wonderful opportunity to be at Camp Mennoscah! We need 1-2 helpers for the weeks of June 9-15 and July 14-20. Kitchen helpers only need to be able to follow directions and have willing hearts & hands! Contact Olivia at 620-297-3290 or email@example.com. Full camper discount and free tee shirt, too!
Mennonite church announcements
- Retreat resource for pastors:Eastern Mennonite Seminary is offering a “remote” day-retreat series for pastors, with guidance offered via zoom teleconference, funded by the “Thriving in Ministry” Lilly Grant received by EMS. If you are interested, contact Brenda Martin Hurst at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, see the attached flier.
- The Mennonite, Inc., invites your original submissions for our June 2019 print magazine issue and corresponding online content focusing on The Breath of God restores us. For more information, see: https://themennonite.org/july-2019-call-submissions-breath-god-restores-us/. This issue will get special attention as it will be available at MennoCon19.
- You are invited to attend the Bethel College Women’s Association annual meeting, June 10, 7pm, at KIPCOR, 2515 College Ave, North Newton. Donna Becker will present an historical sketch titled Her Light Still Shines,which is about a woman who was integral to the Bethel College Women’s Association. Refreshments will be provided, and all are welcome. (For circulation & inclusion in bulletins from May 12 through June 9.)
WDC Sprouts announcement guidelines: Announcements pertain to Western District Conference (WDC) ministries and churches, institutions with which WDC has formal relationships, and Mennonite Church USA agencies and ministries.
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620