WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
May 3, 2016
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
- Save the date! September 9-11, 2016 is Women and Girls Retreat at Camp Mennoscah sponsored by South Central and Western District Conferences. This year’s featured speaker is Katherine Goerzen on the topic “Beloved, Blessed, and Beautiful.” Registration forms will be coming to churches in July. Please post the flyer attached in a visible spot at your church. Thank you for helping us spread the word.
- Trinity Mennonite Church in Hillsboro, KS, will celebrate their 50th anniversary on Sunday, May 29, and would love to have you celebrate with them! Highlights will include a worship service at 10:30 am, a catered noon meal, a presentation of pictures, sharing of stories, and tours of the original church sites as well as their cemeteries. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 620-947-3824.
- Camp Mennoscah loves having new friends visit! Everyone is invited to bring a friend with them this summer–it’s a great way to share fun and faith! Returning campers and their first time friends get a free camp tee shirt. Fearless Faith: Courage in Community is our theme for the summer. Register online at www.campmennoscah.org!
- Peace Picnic! An alternative Memorial Day activity, Monday, May 30 from 12:00-2:00 p.m. in Riverside Park (at the Gazebo) in Wichita. Bring a picnic lunch for yourself and those coming with you. Bring lawn chairs or blankets – and bring friends! Musical groups, Shoulder to Shoulder/Rise Up Singing will sing and play. Come and sing along for peace! Sponsored by People of Faith for Peace. In case of inclement weather, the picnic will move to First Church of the Brethren at 10th and Jefferson.
Mennonite Church Announcements
- “Deep Faith: Anabaptist Faith Formation for All Ages: Oct. 6–8 at Anabaptist Mennonite Biblical Seminary (AMBS), Elkhart, Indiana. This practical event will empower Anabaptist pastors, teachers and lay leaders in the church to develop a robust understanding of life with Jesus and expand their imagination of faith formation for the 21st century. Keynote speakers include John Roberto of LifelongFaith Associates; Rachel Miller Jacobs, assistant professor of congregational formation at AMBS; and Brian Quan, pastor of Toronto Chinese Mennonite Church. Sponsors include AMBS, the Anabaptist Faith Formation Network, Mennonite Camping Association, Mennonite Church Eastern Canada, Mennonite Church Manitoba and Mennonite Church USA/The Gathering Place. Early registration: $125 USD/regular, $50 USD/student until Sept. 14. More information and online registration will be available as planning continues; see mennoniteusa.org/deepfaith.”
- Presentations from Women Doing Theology Conference – twenty of the papers presented at All Your Need is Love: Honoring the Diversity of Women’s Voices in Theology, the first Women Doing Theology Conference hosted by the Women in Leadership Project of Mennonite Church USA (February 2014), are included in a book that is available online. Download a free PDF or purchase a printed copy through Amazon for $10. See. www.mennoniteusa.org/aynl. Also available for check out in the Conference Resource Library!
- Communications Manager needed for Mennonite Women USA. Skills desirable: experience in editing, writing, design; proficient in social media; commitment to vision and mission of Mennonite Women USA. .4 FTE, send resume and two references to email@example.com Deadline May 30.
- Holy Land Tour. You are invited to participate in the next Bethel College tour of the Holy Land, January 3-24, 2017. The tour is a joint endeavor with Tabor College and includes: a study of the history and geography of the region with connections to Biblical texts; the present Palestinian-Israeli conflict; the religions and cultures of the region; and time for worship and reflection. Some of the locations will include Jerusalem, Gethsemane, Mt. Nebo, Petra, Bethlehem, Nazareth, Jericho, the Jordan River, the Dead Sea, and the Sea of Galilee. Contact Peter Goerzen at firstname.lastname@example.org or 316-284-5356 if interested.
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620