WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
March 22, 2016
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
- WDC Spring Reference Council: “Held Together in Mission: Being Church in the Rural Context” – Saturday, April 23, 9 am – 3 pm at First Mennonite Church, Beatrice, NE. Everyone is invited to come for worship, fellowship and learning together, as we nurture relationships through deeper understanding of our diverse church contexts. (Fall Reference Council on October 22 in Dallas will feature urban ministry.) Sessions will include a panel discussion of WDC pastors working on a book-writing project on rural ministry and story-telling about the unique experiences, gifts and challenges of being church in rural communities. Table and large-group conversations will explore how rural and urban congregations can learn from one another as partners in God’s mission. Refreshments and lunch will be provided. Please RSVP by April 14 – 316-283-6300 or email@example.com. Let us know if you want to carpool and we will help to make those connections. See lodging information at: https://mennowdc.org/annual-assembly/#2016springReference
You are welcome to worship with one of the two Beatrice churches the next morning. Pastor Tim Amor will be preaching at both churches on the topic, Saint Leo the Great as part of a series on Heroes of the Faith. Leo’s life and ministry is a fantastic reminder that the story of the church does not end in Acts, but God continues to miraculously work through people to show his great power and loving kindness. Beatrice Mennonite’s service is from 9:30-10:30 am, and First Mennonite’s service starts at 10:30 am.
- Retirees Relaxation Retreat at Camp Mennoscah–Retirees of all ages and those interested are welcome at the Retirees Relaxation Retreat on March 25-27. The theme is Mennonites in Early Kansas. We’ll have Bible Study and singing, coffee breaks, amazing speakers, and time to get to know new folks or catch up with friends. Call 620-297-3290 for a brochure or register online at www.campmennoscah.org. See you soon!
- Kitchen helpers for Camp Mennoscah’s summer youth camps are needed for the weeks of June 19-25, June 26-30, July 17-23, and July 24-29. No great skill is needed, only willing hands and a giving heart. Parents can receive a camper discount of up to full camp fees. Call 620-297-3290 for more information. Free camp tee for all volunteers!
- Camp Mennoscah wants as many kids and youth as possible to have a summer youth camp experience. It’s a great way to help faith grow and to find God in creation and in friends. The summer youth camp theme is Fearless Faith: Courage in Community. Register online at www.campmennoscah.org. Scholarships are available. Call 620-297-3290 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- We’ve rounded up our 2016 Camp Mennoscah Summer Staff! These folks have snazzy pants, loving hearts, and just the right amount of silliness. Josh Carlgren (lifeguard), Hannah Carlgren (lifeguard), Roxy Gehring (music), Ashlynn Hamm (office/media), Kate Jolliff (crafts), Keri Kauffman (lifeguard), Garrett Smith (naturalist), Adam Voth (grounds/maintenance), and Amy Wedel (office) will be serving at Camp Mennoscah this summer. We’re absolutely positively thrilled. Give them a cheer and send your prayers for these folks!
Mennonite Church Announcements
- #MennoLove … get involved! Would you like to be part of Mennonite Church USA’s new storytelling project, “Love is a Verb”? We’re exploring the idea of love in action – highlighting stories of individuals, families, congregations, communities and agencies across Mennonite Church USA who are living out the transformative love of Christ all around them. Write for the Menno Snapshots blog, submit a feature story idea or congregational service snapshot, nominate a love song of the month, or tell us what you think “love is…” at mennoniteusa.org/mennolove.
- A wonderful weekend in June requires your registration by April 15! Healthcare professionals and their families are encouraged to sign up now for the Mennonite Healthcare Fellowship (MHF) 2016 Annual Gathering, June 17-19 at the YMCA of the Rockies, Estes Park, Colorado. Theme: “Wholeness and Holiness: Views from the Mountaintop.” Topics include the spirituality of illness, international healthcare, end of life ethics, public health, trauma, and gun violence. Vibrant worship, stimulating speakers, and a variety of workshops. Open to anyone interested, especially persons from medical, mental health, therapy, and chaplaincy professions, including students and retirees. Children and Youth Program provided. Register by April 15 at www.mennohealth.org/gathering or call 1-888-406-3643.
- URGENT NEED!!! Volunteer host and hostess are needed for the ministry of Christian hospitality at The International Guest House in beautiful northwest Washington, D.C. The Guest House (a ministry of Allegheny Conference) serves both international and US travelers. Volunteers are provided full room and board in the Guest House. The host and hostess positions are one year appointments beginning September 1, 2016. Included is a monthly stipend of $140.00 and payment of health insurance if needed. The host and hostess lead a team which includes three additional volunteers. Hospitality duties include welcoming guests, hosting breakfast and tea, cleaning, laundry, maintenance, baking, gardening – whatever is needed to make this gracious house a haven of peace for our guests. Great location for sightseeing and exploring the many facets of our Capital City. For information and an application contact: Judy Nord email@example.com (301-9856-858) or International Guest House firstname.lastname@example.org (202-726-5808).
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620