WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
March 11, 2014
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
*News and Transitions
Congregational Information Forms can be viewed at: www.mennowdc.org (Pastoral Openings)
Bethel College Mennonite Church, North Newton, KS – Associate Pastor of Faith Formation
Buhler (KS) Mennonite Church – Pastor
Hope Mennonite Church, Wichita, KS – Pastor
Trinity Mennonite Church, Hillsboro, KS – Pastor
News and Transitions
Our sympathy to Karen Mascho, Church Planter at Grace Mennonite Fellowship in Gladewater, TX, upon the death of her mother on March 8.
1. The WDC Pastor, Spouse & Family Retreat will be April 25-27 at Camp Mennoscah. See all information and register online at: www.mennowdc.org/calendar by April 1.
2. The WDC Annual Assembly will be July 4-6 in Waxahachie, Texas. Please let us know if you have interest in riding a chartered bus from Newton, KS. We need to hear from you by June 3, at which time a determination will be made if there is enough interest. Go to: https://mennowdc.org/conference-life/annual-assembly/, and fill out the online form, or simply reply to this email.
3. Attention! The location for the Women’s Spring Supper on March 20, 6 pm, has been changed to Eden Mennonite Church, Moundridge, KS. It was to have been at Faith Mennonite Church in Newton, but because of the high number of registrations, a larger space was necessary. Eden is located 4 miles west and 2 miles north of Moundridge. This information is for women who have already registered to attend. Sorry, no additional registrations can be accepted.
4. The WDC Basketball Tournament will be held March 25-29 at Bethel College. The schedule of games can be found at: https://mennowdc.org/wdc-basketball-tournament/. Support your favorite church team!
5. An additional Easter morning worship sketch is being offered by Pastor Kathy Neufeld Dunn of First Mennonite, McPherson, KS. This sketch goes along with the worship materials that are featured in The Leader. Thanks Kathy! (Script attached.)
6. Can you use a kitchen knife without serious injury 99% of the time? If so, you are a prime candidate to be a kitchen helper at Camp Mennoscah. We need folks to help in the kitchen for almost all of our summer youth camps. Our weekly camps start June 8 and run through the month of July. Parents can receive a camper discount. Contact us at 620-297-3290 or firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up. Your gift of time creates a great camp week for many campers!
7. Retirees’ Relaxation Retreat–Little drops of water, little grains of sand. We’re focusing on the small things that have big results and inviting you to come to Camp Mennoscah for a few short days and lots of rejuvenating relaxation. Retirees of all ages and busyness are invited. Call 620-297-3290 for more information.
8. Back In Again–We will be putting the dam back in at Camp Mennoscah on Saturday, March 15. A specific time has not been set, but we expect to start in the afternoon. If you are interested in participating or spectating, give us a call at 620-297-3290 so we can make sure to alert you of any changes.
Mennonite Church USA Announcements
1. Be intentional. Be transformed! Serve for year with DOOR: Dwell in urban areas like Atlanta, Chicago, Denver, L.A., Miami, or San Antonio. Join other young adults (ages 19-30) from many Christian backgrounds! MennoniteMission.net/Serve
2. Pray for members of the Constituency Leaders Council (a group that includes representatives from area conferences and recognized Mennonite Church USA constituency groups across the country) as they meet together at Bethel College in North Newton, Kans., from March 20-22.
3. Attention All Youth Sponsors, Workers And Pastors! You are invited to attend Youth Ministry Council 2014: A place to ask questions, share stories, and make friends all along the way. See attached invitation with more information.
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620