WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
June 16, 2015
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
*News and Transitions
Congregational Information Forms can be viewed at: www.mennowdc.org (Pastoral Openings)
Alexanderwohl Mennonite Church, Goessel, KS – Pastor – CIF will be posted soon
Buhler/Hoffnungsau/Inman Mennonite Churches, Buhler & Inman, KS – Joint Youth Pastor
Eden Mennonite Church, Moundridge, KS – Pastor
Grace Hill Mennonite Church, Whitewater, KS – Pastor – CIF will be posted soon
New Creation Fellowship Church, Newton, KS – Search Committee appointed
San Antonio (TX) Mennonite Church – Appointing Search Committee
News and Transitions
Cindy Beecher, Director of Church Ministry at Beatrice (NE) Mennonite Church since the death of her husband Bob, who was the Pastor, will end her service on June 28.
Nadine Friesen, Chaplain of Independent Living at Schowalter Villa in Hesston, will be ordained on Sunday, June 21 at 4 pm at First Mennonite Church, in Hillsboro, KS. Everyone is invited!
Frank Keller, former WDC Conference Minister (1978-90), passed away in Souderton, PA on May 31. His wife Holly is at 207 W Summit St, Parkview 3520, Souderton PA 18964.
Heidi Regier Kreider will conclude as Pastor at Bethel College Mennonite Church, North Newton, KS, on July 31. She will begin as WDC Conference Minister on August 17.
The Mennonite Indian Church in Seiling, OK, was officially closed on April 29.
- Western District Conference can send one delegate for every 1000 members or fraction thereof in our area conference to the Mennonite Church USA convention. The following persons have been appointed by the Executive Board to be WDC delegates at Kansas City 2015: Norma Duerksen, Kathy Neufeld Dunn, Richard Gehring, Peter Goerzen, Anita Kehr, Norma Johnson, Byron Pellecer, Wendy Funk Schrag, and Diana Schunn.
- Policy regarding resolutions for WDC delegate discussion and action: Any proposed church statement should be discerned through congregations or WDC commissions and task forces and submitted for consideration to the WDC Resolutions Committee a minimum of 120 days prior to annual conference sessions. The deadline this year is June 30.
3. You are invited to celebrate the 7th anniversary of Iglesia Menonita Casa Betania on July 12 at 3 pm at the First Mennonite Church Sanctuary, Newton, KS. A time of fellowship will follow the service.
4. The West Zion Mennonite Church Concert Series continues with a concert on Sunday evening, June 28 at 7 p.m. Featured performers include Kenna Frey Graber, flute; RoJean Loucks, Celtic harp; Laurie Voth Regehr, piano & Donna Stucky, organ and piano. During the concert a free-will offering will be received and following the concert there will be a time of fellowship with refreshments being served.
5. All-Ages Family Camp at Camp Mennoscah on July 25-26! This camp is for everyone–any state of life, any fashion style, and for all favorite colors! Join Katie Best and Alan Stucky for a weekend of amazing camp activities like canoeing, swimming, ultimate frisbee, pop break, campfire and worship. Sign up online at www.campmennoscah.org or call 620-297-3290 for a brochure. It’s going to be fun for all ages!
6. Mental Health Spiritual Retreat–The annual Mental Health Spiritual Retreat at Camp Mennoscah is Sept. 6-7. All who are affected by mental illness, including family members and friends, are welcome to join us in supporting one another, enjoying camp activities, and relaxing in fellowship with others. Scholarships are available. Register online or request a brochure at 620-297-3290.
7. Still room for more campers! While there are a few camps that are nearly, practically, essentially almost full, Camp Mennoscah has room for more campers. Please call 620-297-3290 to confirm open spaces or register online. Our summer theme is Power UP: Living in the Spirit. We’re having a blast–come be part of it!
8. Mark your calendars with the Camp Mennoscah Camp Sing on August 9 at 6pm at Grace Hill Mennonite Church. Sing camp songs, enjoy pop and popcorn, and wear your favorite camp tee shirt!
Mennonite Church Announcements
- Mennonite Healthcare Fellowship (MHF) invites the public to two evening events during its Annual Gathering, July 19-21 at the Sheraton Harrisburg Hershey Hotel in Harrisburg, PA. The two events both include a time of worship and singing and then feature these presentations: Sunday evening, July 17, 7 pm – “The Jesus Stories…what’s for lunch?” Performance by Ted and Company. Contribution: $30/person. Monday evening, July 20, 6 pm – “Another Way of Doing Life”. Speaker: Shane Claiborne, Philadelphia, PA. This session begins with a meal at 6 pm. Contribution: $40/person. Register online for these events at www.mennohealth.org/registration. A small plus sign under the first heading will open up with special instructions for evening only registrations. For more information, contact MHF at 1-888-406-3643 or email@example.com.
- Mennonite World Conference’s global Assembly this July will be a time for fellowship and growth! Join Anabaptist brothers and sisters from around the world for workshops on personal healing, conflict resolution, gender issues, interfaith conversations, art, worship, prophetic engagement, and so much more! For more info or to register, head to mwc-cmm.org/pa2015.
- The Oklahoma Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church will hold a “Mediation Skills Training Institute for Church Leaders”, led by the Lombard Mennonite Peace Center (www.LMPeaceCenter.org) on August 24-28 at Church of the Servant (UMC), 14343 N MacArthur Blvd, Oklahoma City. This training is open to church leaders in all areas of ministry, and is valuable for dealing with current conflict as well as learning to be proactive so that conflict can be transformative. For information, contact the Rev. Charles Rettig, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 405-379-2439 or the Rev. Dianne Peters, email@example.com or 405-524-8428.
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620