WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
July 12, 2016
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
*News and Transitions
Alexanderwohl Mennonite Church, Goessel, KS – Pastor
Eden Mennonite Church, Moundridge, KS – Associate Pastor
Faith Mennonite Church, Newton, KS – Associate Pastor
First Mennonite Church, Halstead, KS – Pastor
Hoffnungsau Mennonite Church, Inman, KS – Pastor
Iglesia Menonita Aposento Alto, Wichita, KS (Church Planter-Pastor)
Shalom Mennonite Church, Newton, KS – Associate Pastor
News and Transitions
Dawn Yoder Harms will become the Pastor at Bethel College Mennonite Church, North Newton, KS, on November 1.
Derek King transitioned from Associate Pastor to Lead Pastor at Eden Mennonite Church, Moundridge, KS, on July 1.
Alberto Parchmont started on July 1 as the Pastor at Iglesia Menonita Casa del Alfarero, in Pasadena, TX.
Derrick Ramer begins on August 15 as Pastor at New Creation Mennonite Fellowship, Newton, KS.
- Join us for inspired worship, communion, and new staff installation and recognition on Friday evening of our Western District Conference Annual Assembly, July 29-30 at Bethel College in North Newton, KS. Register by this Friday, July 15, to have meals included! For more information and to register, go to: www.mennowdc.org/annual-assembly/#2016annualAssembly.
- Pastors’ Afternoon Apart – Pastors, remember to register for the WDC Pastors’ Afternoon Apart on July 29, 12 Noon – 5 pm, in the Bethel College cafeteria, on the theme “Holy and Whole: Faithful Response to Sexual Abuse in the Congregation.” For more information and on-line registration, see https://mennowdc.org/pastors-afternoon-apart-july-29-2016/ Updated information: Participants may bring a sack lunch along to the sessions; otherwise plan to eat lunch in advance (no lunch will be served, but a mid-afternoon snack and drinks will be provided). Also, pastors’ spouses are welcome to attend, and will also need to register/pay for the event.
- The WDC office has some used furniture that is no longer needed, and is offering to anyone who can use them (donation appreciated!). Available: 2 desks, 5-shelf bookshelf, variety of chairs (executive-style, wood, occasional), TV, combination VHS / DVD player, audio visual cart. You haul! See at 2517 N Main in North Newton, Monday through Friday 8 am-5 pm (closed 11:30 am – 12:30 pm for lunch).
- Get ready to warble! Camp Mennoscah’s annual Camp Sing is August 7 at 6:30pm at Grace Hill Mennonite Church. Everyone is invited to head on over for some camp songs and hymns led by this year’s summer staff. It is always one of the best times to say howdy to other camp folks–new and old!
- Grab your sleeping bag and sunscreen! It’s just about time for all you practiced procrastinators to sign up for the Young Adult Retreat at Camp Mennoscah on July 29-31. We’ll be roasting meals and marshmallows, worshiping in song and fellowship, and having a grand time. Register online at www.campmennoscah.org!
- The Mental Health Spiritual Retreat at Camp Mennoscah is Sept. 4-5. All who are affected by mental illness, including family and friends, are welcome to attend. The theme is Courage in Community. There will be time for getting to know new people and for spending time with long-time friends, as well as worship, swimming, and sessions on the theme. Register online at www.campmennoscah.org or call us at 620-297-3290! If you are unable to attend, see Ted & Company’s production of “Laughter is Sacred Space” at 7pm on Sept. 4 at Buhler High School Auditorium. The production explores the paradoxes, joys, and struggles of mental illness and suicide.
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620