WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
January 10, 2017
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
*News and Transitions
Faith Mennonite Church, Newton, KS – Associate Pastor
First Mennonite Church, Halstead, KS – Pastor
First Mennonite Church, McPherson, KS – Pastor (Search Committee appointed)
Hoffnungsau Mennonite Church, Inman, KS – Pastor
Iglesia Menonita Aposento Alto, Wichita, KS – Church Planter-Pastor
Shalom Mennonite Church, Newton, KS – Associate Pastor
News and Transitions
Associated Mennonite Biblical Seminary – Kansas Center’s work was ended on December 31, 2016. AMBS will continue to serve students in pursuing graduate-level studies for ministry through the MDiv-Connect program, and Church Leadership Center programming will serve those seeking ministry formation through non-degree education programs, short courses, and webinars. For questions, call AMBS at: 1-800-964-2627. A public event in North Newton to mark this closure will be planned yet this winter.
Esther Wenger, retired missionary and church worker died December 18, 2016 in North Newton, KS.
- The WDC Staff is at Staff Retreat on January 10-11. Please note that the offices and the Conference Resource Library are closed these two days.
- Leadership Lunches! WDC and SCC Pastors, come join us at the WDC offices from 12-1:30 pm on January 19 for our first “Leadership Lunch”. Bring your own lunch and plan to enter into a conversation about how Kansas Leadership Center competencies interact with scripture, Anabaptist theology and practice, and our own areas of ministry. This month, we will focus on the competency “Take the temperature,” which is part of “Diagnosing the Situation”. All pastors are welcome even if you haven’t attended a KLC training. We hope that this will encourage and empower us to exercise more leadership for the common good in our churches and communities. If you have questions, please contact Kathy Neufeld Dunn (firstname.lastname@example.org), Rachel Siemens (email@example.com) or Phil Schmidt (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- What’s So Funny about Money?, a Ted and Company show, is coming to the McPherson Opera House, 219 S Main St, McPherson, KS on Sunday, February 19 (NOTE THIS CHANGE OF DATE from an earlier announcement.) at 7 pm. This show is open to the public by donation to benefit the WDC Matching Fund, assisting pastors with financial challenges. Thanks to Everence for their sponsorship. Invite your friends! Please use the attached bulletin inserts and poster to help publicize this event. For more information, contact Kathy at 316-283-6300 or email@example.com.
- Preschool Story Hour at the Resource Library with Carol Flickinger begins Wednesday, February 15. Sign up today at https://goo.gl/forms/NNeiVbEyzpzLqksc2 or by calling the WDC offices at 316-283-6300. (Churches, please print and post the attached sign.)
- Save the date: Western District Women in Mission/South Central Women’s annual Spring Supper Thursday, March 23 at Bethel College Sudent Center/Fine Arts Center. Watch for more details in coming weeks.
- Preview MennoMedia’s 2017 Summer VBS Curriculum at the Resource Library. This year’s theme–Digging for Treasure: Parables Revealed was written by local WDC and SCC members, Lici Roth, Becky King, Amy Nissley Stauffer, and Clayton Gladish. Pre-Orders placed with MennoMedia by the end of January receive a 25% discount!
- Everyone is invited to join Mennonite Church of the Servant, 2401 N Woodland Ave, Wichita KS 67204 on Friday, January 20, from 7:30 to 8:30 pm for the highly-acclaimed film, “Requiem for the American Dream,” which reveals how democratic ideals and basic Christian values have been sabotaged. Discussion and comments are scheduled for 30 minutes after the film. Refreshments will be provided. www.mcswichita.net.
- Looking for you–or someone you know! Applications for Camp Mennoscah’s summer staff positions are now available. Tell all those great college age folks that you know and nudge them on over to us for the summer! Find further information at campmennoscah.org/application
- Fundraiser for the Whale! There will be a hymn sing and dessert auction fundraiser for the new playground structure (otherwise known as “the whale”) on February 26 from 4-6pm at Eden Mennonite Church in Moundridge. All are invited to come to this time of singing, fellowship, and bidding on tasty desserts! **see attached poster
- Spring Scrapbook and Crafts Retreat registration is open! It’s not that far away, all you crafters and croppers. Two retreats will be filled with laughter, good folks, and fun times at Camp Mennoscah on March 3-5 and March 17-19. Register at campmennoscah.org or contact us at 620-297-3290 for a registration form.
- Parents and Pastors of Youth! Camp Mennoscah is again offering a Youth Volunteer Weekend, March 10-11, for those in grades 7-12. The Friday eve-Saturday retreat is a time of worship, service, and fellowship. Camp will provide counselors, meals, music, and space in God’s great creation (whatever the weather). Register at campmennoscah.org or contact us at 620-297-3290.
Mennonite Church Announcements
- The Centering Prayer group that meets every Monday at Bethel College, North Newton, KS, is coordinating a special prayer event for Inauguration Day, Friday, Jan. 20. Anyone is invited to come and go between 11 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. to the Administration Building chapel on the Bethel campus to pray for our country, its leaders and the world. Come when you can and stay for as long or short a time as you like. There will be no agenda other than silence, prayer and candle-lighting if desired. If you have questions, please e-mail Melanie Zuercher, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Registration for “Beyond Buried Treasure: Turning Hidden Resources into Assets” is now open. This second joint MHS Mennonite Health Assembly and Mennonite Education Agency Education Leaders Gathering takes place March 9-12 in Jacksonville, FL. For more information or to register, visit mhaelgconference.wordpress.com.
- Registration for the Mennonite Church USA Convention 2017 opens January 17. The convention takes place July 4-8 in Orlando, FL, with the theme “Love is a Verb”. Enjoy fellowship, worship and activities with Mennonites from around the country while enjoying the attractions of the Orlando area. Learn more at: http://convention.mennoniteusa.org/registration/.
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620