WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
February 2, 2016
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
- Kitchen helpers? All you folks who delight in chopping and stirring, we have a place for you! Camp Mennoscah is looking for people to help in the kitchen during our summer youth camps. A discount of up to full camp fees is available for your camper. Camps begin June 5 and run until July 29. Contact Camp Mennoscah at 620-297-3290 or firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up! Great skill not needed, only a love of kids and a willingness to follow directions.
- Renewable energy is much more available these days, and with the increased availability comes the need to move that energy from one place to another. Renewable energy is moving close to Camp Mennoscah this spring. NextEra Energy is constructing a transmission line 340′ from Camp Mennoscah’s north property line. The poles will be 80-100′ tall and will be visible from camp grounds. There will likely be some humming associated with the lines. Construction is expected to be completed by June.
- Hey there, all you crafty and scrappy people! Camp Mennoscah has two weekend retreats for you this spring. The Scrapbook and Crafts Retreats are March 4-6 and March 11-13 and they will be delightful times for you to spend hours working on your projects or talking with friends or meandering around camp grounds (weather permitting). Sign up online at www.campmennoscah.org or contact us at 620-297-3290. These retreats are a hootin’ good time!
- Dear Youth (and their parents)–Camp Mennoscah has a rootin’, tootin’, gallalootin’ retreat for those youth grades 7-12 on March 11-12. We’re doing a service and worship weekend and calling it Youth Volunteer Weekend. There will be music and worship, snacks and projects, and gobs o’ fun. It will be so much stinkin’ fun you won’t want to go home. Register online at www.campmennoscah.org or call us at 620-297-3290. It’s like a summer camp appetizer!
Mennonite Church Announcements
- Interested in mass incarceration? How about immigration? MCC has large scale, multi-panel displays available for your congregation to use on these topics. To help you engage in these topics, MCC will cover the cost of shipping the displays to your church. All you have to do is let us know when you’d like them! When a Parent is in Prison gives a glimpse of life for the two million children with a parent in prison. Ladder without Rungs explores metaphors of suffering and trauma from survivors of violent crime to express their experiences, and from life-sentenced prisoners to describe the sentences they are serving. People on the Move tells the human stories of migration. If your church would like to help with the cost of shipping, your donation would be accepted, but for 2016 it is not required. Call 316.283.2720 for more information and email email@example.com make your reservations today!
- Mennonite Central Committee has a great resource on the topic of Conscience Objection for teachers/sponsors/pastors who work with high school and Jr. High age youth. Ben’s Story is a 6-part series of videos and PDF lessons for you to use to engage youth on the topic of Conscience Objection. Ben Peter’s told his story at the Mennonite Church USA convention in July of 2015. We encourage you to consider incorporating this material into your upcoming lessons. It is thought provoking and could lead to fruitful and lively conversation with youth at your church. http://mcc.org/learn/more/bens-story
- You’re Invited to join the MCC Central States Board and Staff at our annual Community Engagement Event on Saturday, Feb. 27. Our event this year will be held in the chapel at Tabor College in Hillsboro, Kan. from 8:30-10:45am focusing on Mass Incarceration. We will have a variety of speakers share with the group and time for questions and answers. Please call our office to let us know if you’ll be attending at 316.283.2720. All our welcome to attend this informative event with opportunity to engage with MCC board and staff!
- Volunteer position in Washington, DC – Volunteer staff are needed at The International Guest House in Washington, D.C. (3 months or full year) for the ministry of Christian hospitality. The Guest House (a ministry of Allegheny Conference) serves both international and US travelers. Volunteers are provided full room and board in the Guest House. Monthly stipend of $140. Health insurance paid for full year volunteers if needed. Hospitality duties include welcoming guests, hosting breakfast and tea,cleaning, laundry, maintenance, baking. Great location for sightseeing and exploring the many facets of the National City. For information and an application contact: Judy Nord firstname.lastname@example.org (301-9856-858) or International Guest House email@example.com (202-726-5808).
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620