WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
February 16, 2016
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
- Resolutions Policy: Resolutions must be submitted a minimum of 120 days prior to Annual Assembly, which will be held July 29-30. This year, resolutions must be submitted by March 31. Send to: WDC Executive Board, PO Box 306, North Newton KS 67117
- Next Steps with Kansas Leadership Center training: Pastors and congregation members who have taken training at Kansas Leadership Center (or anyone interested in learning more about it ) are invited to a workshop Saturday, March 12, 8:30 am – 12:00 noon at Whitestone Mennonite Church, 629 Crescent Dr., Hesston, co-sponsored by Western District and South Central Conferences. See attached program. The workshop is free, and brunch will be served. Bring your questions, ideas and stories of how you are putting KLC training to use! If you plan to attend, please RSVP by March 7 to email@example.com or 316-283-6300.
- New books, new books! In the last 3 months, the WDC Resource Library has added over 250 new items! We now have the latest from MennoMedia (including Trouble I’ve Seen: Changing the Way the Church Views Racism by Drew Hart, Rewilding the Way by Todd Wynward, and 4 volumes of the Abundant Faith Women’s Bible Study Series). Visit our online card catalog to review these titles and the other 11,000+ resources we have available for check out at http://mennowdc.booksys.net/opac/crl/index.html?mode=start#menuHome Also available are Lent and Easter resources for worship planning, personal devotion, and family celebration. To request books: reserve online (requires library card), email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 316-283-6300. I look forward to helping connect you with the right resource. -Jennie Wintermote, WDC Resource Library Director
- Hold the dates! “Held Together in Mission” is the theme the WDC Executive Board has identified for Annual Assembly, July 29-30 at Bethel College in North Newton, KS. Reference Council sessions in 2016 will also explore this theme in both rural and urban settings, as opportunity to share worship, stories, and conversation about how God is at work in the diverse contexts of WDC:
–Spring Reference Council: “Held Together in Mission: Being Church in the Rural Context” – Saturday, April 23, 9 am – 3 pm at First Mennonite Church, Beatrice, NE
–Fall Reference Council: “Held Together in Mission: Being Church in the Urban context” – Saturday, October 22 in Dallas, TX (schedule/location to be announced)
All WDC board, commission and committee members, delegates, pastors and congregation members are invited to attend Reference Council sessions. Lunch and snacks will be provided. Plan now to attend, and watch for more information on registration and schedules.
- Mennonite Agri-Urban has just finished another successful year and you are invited to help us celebrate. Anyone interested in learning about our organization and everyone who donated feed and worked with Agri-Urban cattle is invited to a faspa on Sunday, February 21 at Eden Mennonite Church, rural Moundridge. Drop in between 3:30 and 5:00 pm. Information about the organization, a financial report and written reports from our beneficiaries will be available. A special thanks to all those who raised cattle and donated feed again this year. Proceeds from the cattle sales benefit Western District Conference, Mennonite Church USA and Bethel College.
- Grab your cohorts and friends. It’s just about time for the Youth Volunteer Weekend at Camp Mennoscah on March 11-12! We’ll be singing & worshiping, doing some service projects, and enjoying camp! Patrick Loganbill and Rachel Miller will lead us in activities along with our trusty counselors. Register online at www.campmennoscah.org. Have sponsors who want to come? Contact us at 620-297-3290.
- One glorious weekend of memories and creativity! Camp Mennoscah offers you a weekend filled with hours of time to spend on your scrapbooks or craft-making in the company of others. Join us March 11-13! Register online at www.campmennoscah.org or call us at 620-297-3290. Bring a Friend for a discount–and because it’s fun to be with friends!
- Camp Mennoscah’s Retirees Relaxation Retreat will be April 25-27 on the theme of Mennonites in Early Kansas. Retirees of all ages (and all interested!) are invited to join us for 3 days of captivating speakers, Bible Study, coffee breaks, and community. It’s a grand time for being with others and relaxing in creation. Contact us at 620-297-3290 or register online at www.campmennoscah.org!
- Want to spend a week cooling off in the water? Camp Mennoscah has the bestest opportunity for you! Come be a kitchen helper at one of our summer youth camps and spend the day with your hands in dishwater–or cutting potatoes or mixing up crispy treats. (There’s also a pool for you to dip your toes in.) Nothing more than the ability to follow directions and an appreciation of youth and camp needed. Contact us at 620-297-3290. Parent discount available.
Mennonite Church Announcements
- Criminal Justice System, What Can We Do? You’re invited to join the conversation as Mennonite Central Committee Central States dives into this broad topic. Speakers will share on various aspects and from a variety of viewpoints on the topic of the criminal justice system and our response to it. Join us in the Chapel in the H.W. Lohrenz Building on the Tabor College campus (Hillsboro, KS) on Feb. 27 from 9am-noon. Speakers include Jill Schellenberg, Nathan Koontz, David King and Pam Nath.
- Prayer and Scripture Continuing Ed. Opportunity Available from AMBS-Kansas Center – AMBS-Kansas Center will host a short course on prayer and Scripture entitled “Being Formed by God through Scripture.” This course is open to anyone interested in learning how Scripture shapes our prayer practices. This course will be led by Kathryn Damiano, a spiritual director of 33 years and adjunct professor for AMBS-Great Plains. The course will meet on April 9, 16, 23, and 30 from 9:30-11:30am at Mennonite Church of the Servant in Wichita, KS (2401 N. Woodland, Wichita, KS 67204). If interested in taking this course for masters-level credit or if you have any questions, please contact Katherine Goerzen (email@example.com) for more information. The cost of this continuing education course is only $50 for WDC participants who register before March 19. This is a savings of $150. Registration will be available shortly on https://www.ambs.edu/academics/AMBS-Kansas-Center.cfm
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620