WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
December 15, 2015
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
*News and Transitions
Alexanderwohl Mennonite Church, Goessel, KS – Pastor
Bethel College Mennonite Church, North Newton, KS – Pastor
Eden Mennonite Church, Moundridge, KS – Pastor
Faith Mennonite Church, Newton, KS – Associate Pastor (Search Committee appointed)
Hoffnungsau Mennonite Church, Inman, KS – Pastor
New Creation Fellowship Church, Newton, KS – Pastor (Search Committee appointed)
San Antonio (TX) Mennonite Church – Pastor (Search Committee appointed)
News and Transitions
Peter Voran, retired missionary to Japan and pastor, died on November 14 in North Newton, KS.
- The Camp Mennoscah Board of directors has accepted the resignation of John Stoesz, executive director. John will be available to continue assisting Camp with marketing and advancement initiatives until the next executive director is hired. John shared “Camp Mennoscah is a wonderful organization and everyone – board, staff and volunteers – have been great. However, I would like to spend more time on Native American justice issues, particularly Dakota land return in my home state of Minnesota. I wish camp all the best in the future”. If you are interested in the Executive Director position at Camp Mennoscah, please contact David Weaver, recruiting consultant at Career 1 Source at 620-327-0371or DavidWeaver@career1source .com. Please keep Camp in your prayers as we search for a new Executive Director to focus on advancement and marketing.
- Retreat Registration open! Online registration for Camp Mennoscah’s 2016 retreats is now open. You can register for any of the retreats (not summer youth camps) at www.campmennoscah.org. We’ll get the summer youth camp registration up by sometime in January 2016. Contact Camp Mennoscah at 620-297-3290 with questions or problems. Let us know if we missed something!
- All Years Summer Staff Gathering! Summer staffers, their families, and significant others for all years (1948 to today) are invited to gather for a time of fellowship, cookies, and hot/cold drinks at Camp Mennoscah on Dec. 19 at 2:30pm in the dining hall. Not sure if you were a summer staffer? Come on out–we’re not checking invitations. Feel free to bring a snack to share. Contact Camp Mennoscah at 620-297-3290 with questions.
- The Camp Mennoscah staff wish all of you–our friends and campers, guests and volunteers–many blessings for this holiday season. You have given so generously and blessed us with prayers and support. We hope that you have the time to renew yourself during this Advent season and draw near to God and those around you. Merry Christmas!
Mennonite Church Announcements
1. Rural Ministry Discussion Group: PRICE REDUCED – The registration cost for AMBS-Kansas Center’s Rural Ministry Discussion Group (both in-person and online) has been reduced to the low price of $75 if you register before January 3. Registration is limited, so please register as soon as possible to ensure participation. The in-person discussion group begins January 12, 2016 and is facilitated by Dorothy Nickel Friesen. The online discussion group begins January 14, 2016 and is facilitated by S. Roy Kaufman. For registration and more information, please see: https://www.ambs.edu/academics/rural-ministry-discussion-group.cfm
- We are sharing with you the attached Advent message from Mennonite Central Committee U.S. Executive Director J Ron Byler. We encourage you to use it as you like in your congregation — perhaps in your e-newsletter or e-bulletin, or by including it in your worship elements. With you, we pray and work for peace and comfort for all in our country and around the world in this season of Advent.
- Registration is open for Mennonite Healthcare Fellowship’s Annual Gathering, June 17-19, 2016 in Estes Park, CO. Plan now for this weekend of workshops, worship, networking, and sharing together with other healthcare professionals. Visit www.mennohealth.org/annual-gathering-2016
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620