WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
August 15, 2017
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
*News and Transitions
First Mennonite Church, McPherson, KS (Pastor)
News and Transitions
Congratulations to Laura Neufeld Goerzen, Pastor at First Mennonite Church of Christian, Moundridge, KS, and her husband John, on the birth of their daughter Martha on July 10.
Our sympathy to Gail Graber, Chaplain at Bethesda Home & Retirement Center in Goessel, KS, upon the death of her husband Ardath “Ardy”, on August 1.
Jenny Schrag has announced her resignation as Joint Youth Pastor for Hoffnungsau, Inman and Buhler Mennonite Churches in Kansas, effective August 18.
Eugene Thieszen has announced his resignation as Pastor of Hanston (KS) Mennonite Church, effective October 31.
- Leadership Lunch! Our next Leadership Lunch (bring your own sack lunch) is scheduled for Thursday, August 17 from 12-1:30 pm at the WDC office. Each month, we are discussing a different Kansas Leadership Center (KLC) competency and how it relates to scripture, Anabaptist theology and practice, and our own areas of ministry. This month, we will focus on “Work Across Factions”. All pastors and ministry leaders from both WDC and SCC are welcome even if you haven’t attended a KLC training or one of the previous Leadership Lunches. We hope that these lunches will encourage and empower each of us to exercise more leadership for the common good in our churches and communities. If you have questions, please contact Kathy Neufeld Dunn (firstname.lastname@example.org), Rachel Siemens (email@example.com) or Phil Schmidt (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- It’s not too late to register for the Wmens/Girls retreat at Camp Mennoscah September 8-10! Find the schedule and registration forms at your church office or online at mennowdc.org/calendar/. Offering on Sunday morning will go to Mennonite Women USA. We’ll be celebrating 100 years of Mennonite Women Friday evening with a drama and hymn sing, lots of fun seminars and activities for girls age 3rd grade on up and women of all ages, swimming and water aerobics, campfire, giant coloring sheets, catered meals, spiritual directors available and Barb Krehbiel Gehring as our featured speaker on “Together: Rooted and Reaching.” Come join us!
Camp Mennoscah announcements
- Labor not and come to Camp Mennoscah! The Mental Health Spiritual Retreat is September 3-4 and everyone is invited. The theme for the weekend is Branching Out and will include sessions, activities, a hayrack ride, swimming, and time to catch up with friends both old and new. More information and a registration form can be found online at campmennoscah.org. You can also register online and save a stamp! Contact us at 620-297-3290with questions. We can’t wait to see you!
- Work & Play Camp for all ages at Camp Mennoscah! This service-oriented retreat will take place Sept. 29-Oct. 3 in the wild prairie on the Ninnescah River. We’ll be working on projects that have popped up and having coffee and conversation, too. It’s a great opportunity to be part of our camping ministry and to see Camp Mennoscah in the fall. We’ll have plenty of hot chocolate or iced tea–whatever the weather calls for–and lots of good fellowship. There is no cost for this retreat. Register online at campmennoscah.orgor call 620-297-3290. Come for one day or for all days!
- Scrapbook and Crafts Retreats are just a couple of months away! All crafty, scrappy, and croppy people are invited to join us for a weekend of creativity, relaxation, conversations with friends, and maybe productivity. It’s whatever you want! Two weekends are offered this fall, Nov. 3-5 and Nov. 17-19. Register online at campmennoscah.orgor give us a call at 620-297-3290. We’ll help you out!
Mennonite church announcements
1. Registration is now open: Sat., Nov. 18, 4th biennial Worship and the Arts Symposium at Bethel College, North Newton, KS, “Seasons of the Soul: Enacting the Mystery of Faith,” with special guest presenter and resource person Ted Swartz. Symposium registration includes Swartz’s performance of “Slightly Left of Normal,” Fri., Nov. 17, in Krehbiel Auditorium (admission charge for non-symposium registrants). Registration discount for groups of 3 or more from a single congregation – for a complete schedule and online registration, see bethelks.edu/worshiparts
- Jordan Penner joins MCC Central States as the new Donor Relations Associate, working from Denver, Colorado! Prior to accepting this position, Jordan, along with his wife Jenny, served with MCC in Bolivia. We are excited to have Jordan join our staff and hope you get to meet him soon!
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620