WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
October 14, 2014
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
*News and Transitions
Congregational Information Forms can be viewed at: www.mennowdc.org (Pastoral Openings)
WDC Associate Conference Minister
Hanston (KS) Mennonite Church – Pastor
Buhler/Hoffnungsau/Inman Mennonite churches – Joint Youth Pastor
Trinity Mennonite Church, Hillsboro, KS – Pastor
News and Transitions
Mike Bogard will end as Supply Pastor of Hope Mennonite Church, Wichita, KS on November 23.
Derek King, Associate Pastor at Eden Mennonite Church, Moundridge, KS, and his wife Becky welcomed a daughter, Evelyn Horst King, to their family on September 23.
Jack Norris ended as Pastor at First Mennonite Church, Clinton, OK on September 17.
Amanda Rempel began as Interim Pastor at Trinity Mennonite Church, Hillsboro, KS on September 14.
Jeff Wintermote ended as Pastor at Trinity Mennonite Church, Hillsboro, KS, on August 31. Our sympathy to Jeff upon the death of his mother, Violet Stark, on September 23 in Wichita, KS.
1. Next year’s WDC Annual Assembly will be held October 30-31, 2015 at Bethel College in North Newton, Kansas.
2. Pastors’ Day Apart – “Cultivating an Incarnational Church” with Brad Brisco, October 30, 9 am – 3 pm at Shalom Mennonite Church, Newton, KS. Brad is the author of two books in our library – The Missional Quest and Missional Essentials. He will focus on assisting existing congregations to transition in a missional direction. Register by Wednesday, October 22 at https://mennowdc.org/pastors-day-apart-october-30-2014/
3. Only a few spaces left for the Scrapbooking Retreat at Camp Mennoscah on Oct. 31-Nov. 2. Send in your registration form, grab your box of pictures or your computer, and be ready for a weekend of memories and fun! Call us at 620-297-3290 with questions.
4. Is your contact information correct? Camp Mennoscah will be sending out annual reservation forms for 2015 within the next few weeks. If your contact person has changed, please contact us at 620-297-3290 or firstname.lastname@example.org with updated information–or even just call to say hi! It’s always fun to hear from folks.
Mennonite Church USA Announcements
1. Advent Planning Webinar: WDC and AMBS-Kansas Center will host an Advent Planning Webinar on Thursday, October 16, from 6:30-7:45 pm. This webinar is presented by Rachel Miller Jacobs, AMBS Assistant Professor of Congregational Formation. This webinar will explore creative ideas for scripture, visuals, sermons, children’s worship and music for resources published in the Leader magazine with the theme, “Oh, that you would reveal your mystery.” A brief discussion will follow to provide space for participants to share ideas on how they plan to use the Advent material in their own congregations. This webinar will be hosted in the WDC offices. Cost is $10 per participant. Apple Cider and Peppernuts will be provided. Please register by October 15 by emailing Katherine Goerzen at email@example.com.
2. Biblical and Theological Resources on Same-Gender Sexuality. The Mennonite Church USA Executive Board and Staff have compiled a list of resources focused on same-gender sexuality for study in small groups and congregations. The list was developed with input from Mennonite church members with diverse perspectives, and seeks to tell stories of the ways people have come to their theological understandings. The list is available online: http://bit.ly/MCUSAResources.
3. The Corinthian Plan will have open enrollment this year beginning November 15, 2014, through February 15, 2015. The Corinthian Plan is the Mennonite Church USA sponsored health coverage plan. MC USA congregations currently not participating in The Corinthian Plan may join during this time by going through the application process. If a congregation joins between November 15 and December 31, 2014 coverage will start on January 1, 2015. If a congregation joins between January 1 and February 15, 2015, coverage will start the first day of the month following enrollment. Congregations can choose to apply for coverage during times of the year outside of open enrollment, but have to go through underwriting. For information on enrolling contact Denise Henke (Denise.Henke@everence.com) or Duncan Smith (firstname.lastname@example.org). Feel free to contact Duncan Smith, TCP Director, with any comments or questions, at the e-mail listed previously or at 316-281-4255.
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620