WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
November 3, 2015
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
- Western District Conference announces openings and seeks applicants for the positions listed below. Full job descriptions are at mennowdc.org. Send cover letter and application materials to Heidi Regier Kreider, Conference Minister, PO Box 306, North Newton, KS 67117, or email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until positions are filled.
- Full-time Associate Conference Minister based in Texas, to direct church-planting partnerships and support pastors and congregations in relevance to cultural/ethnic context. Ministerial credential and experience, cross-cultural and urban ministry competency and Spanish proficiency required.
- 3/4 time Associate Conference Minister based in Kansas, to resource congregations in a variety of ministry areas and assist in supporting pastors and congregations in relevance to cultural/ethnic context. Ministerial credential and experience required.
- 1/4 time Resource Library Directorto manage and promote WDC library. Library science degree or experience required.
- Actions taken at WDC Delegate Assembly, October 31, 2015:
–Delegates approved by a 72% vote the resolution from Rainbow Mennonite Church. 185 delegates voted yes, with 30 of these noting that they oppose same-sex relationships. 72 voted no, with four of these noting they affirm same-sex relationships. The resolution is as follows:
Be it resolved that the Western District Conference of the Mennonite Church USA, out of respect for the responsibility and commitment “to seek to understand and interpret Scripture in harmony with Jesus Christ as we are led by the Holy Spirit in the church,” upholds the right of individual congregations to discern how homosexuality will be subject to Biblical interpretation, and
Be it further resolved that pastors, with the affirmation of their congregations, consistent with Mennonite polity, and without fear of censure, may officiate or refuse to officiate ceremonies that consecrate before God monogamous, life-long unions, regardless of the sexual orientation of those being united.
–Persons were elected to serve in WDC positions (some are new to these positions and some are continuing):
Executive Board – Norma Duerksen, Kristen Swartley
Gifts Discernment Committee – Ryan Koch, Jane McNair
Ministerial Leadership Commission – Peter Goerzen, Brad Roth
Resource Commission – Katherine Goerzen, Ann Hiebert
Stewardship Commission – Leanna Ediger, Stephen Hochstetler
Church Planting Commission – Veronica Robles, Lee Suderman
— A budget of $577,050 for 2016 was approved. This includes funding for the new Church Planting Commission, and continuing staff support for church planting, congregational resourcing, and the resource library (see staff openings advertised above).
- All delegates and participants at the WDC Annual Assembly are encouraged to respond to a feedback survey at: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/GZW5ZCK. The survey is also posted on the WDC website at: mennowdc.org/annual-assembly/. This will help in shaping future Assemblies.
Mennonite Church Announcements
Ceasefire! – a gathering to support sensible gun laws in Kansas – Saturday, November 14 at College Hill United Methodist Church, 2930 E 1st St N., Wichita KS. Refreshments at 9:30 am, Conference 10:00 am – noon. Speakers: Oletha Faust-Goudeau (Kansas State Senator), Loren Stanton (Brady Bill Representative). Sponsored by Wichita Coalition Against Gun Violence. (wichitacoalitionagainstgunviolence.org)
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117