WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
June 13, 2017
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
*News and Transitions
First Mennonite Church, McPherson, KS – Pastor
News and Transitions
Beverly Baumgartner will end her position as Minister of Christian Education/Worship at Lorraine Avenue Mennonite Church in Wichita, KS on June 30. She has accepted a new position as Associate Pastor of West Heights United Methodist Church in Wichita, KS, beginning July 1.
Ben Breckbill will begin as Associate pastor at Shalom Mennonite Church in Newton, KS, on September 13.
- WDC Annual Assembly will be August 4-6 in Arlington, TX. Complete information was distributed to churches and posted online last week. Registrations have begun to arrive! Read all about Assembly and register by July 19 at: http://mennowdc.org/annual-assembly/#2017annualAssembly
- Leadership Lunch! Our next Leadership Lunch (bring your own sack lunch) is scheduled for Thursday, June 15 from 12-1:30pm at the WDC offices. Each month, we are discussing a different Kansas Leadership Center (KLC) competency and how it relates to scripture, Anabaptist theology and practice, and our own areas of ministry. Last month, we reflected on “Identify who needs to do the work,” and this month we will focus on “Give the work back.” All pastors and ministry leaders from both WDC and SCC are welcome even if you haven’t attended a KLC training or one of the previous Leadership Lunches. We hope that these lunches will encourage and empower each of us to exercise more leadership for the common good in our churches and communities. If you have questions, please contact Kathy Neufeld Dunn (email@example.com), Rachel Siemens (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Phil Schmidt (email@example.com)
- Share your congregation’s story! As part of WDC’s 125th anniversary in 2017, congregations are invited to share stories of their history to post on the WDC website. Check out the stories already posted, at http://mennowdc.org/congregation-history-stories/. To submit your congregation’s story, go to http://mennowdc.org/wdcs-125-year-anniversary-is-in-2017/where you will find several questions to respond to. This ongoing project provides one way for us to learn more about each others’ congregations, and be inspired to live faithfully in the future.
- You are invited to a “Peace is Possible” forum on June 17 at 7 pm at the Mennonite Church of the Servant, 2401 N. Woodland in Wichita, KS. In these times of travel bans and anti-immigrant sentiment, it is more important than ever to tear down fences and build bridges across national borders.
Camp Mennoscah announcements
- Summer Youth Camps have started–and we have room for you! Camp Mennoscah has summer youth camps for youth in grades 3-12. It’s a blast with worship, crafts, recreation, riverplay, interest groups, and lots of neat folks! The theme this year is Branching Out: Connecting Through Christ. Register online at campmennoscah.orgor call us at 620-297-3290. We’ll sign you up for a week of fun!
- Thank you to everyone who attended the dedication for Sandbar cabin! We saw the work of dedicated volunteers, enjoyed hearing stories, and offered a prayer for Sandbar and the many campers who will enjoy the new space. The first campers are in the cabin this week.
- Camp Mennoscah, a place of faith and fun, is looking for you! We need a nurse for the week of July 16-22 and kitchen helpers for our Family Weekend, July 29-30, and our Senior High Camp, July 30-Aug. 3. Nurses need a valid license, but kitchen staff need only smiling faces and the ability to follow directions! It’s a grand time, however you spend your time!
Mennonite Church Announcements
Seeking Peace in Israel and Palestine Resolution Webinar put on by Mennonite Church USA, in coordination with MCC, will be on June 20, 8 pm eastern / 7 pm central/ 6 pm mountain / 5 pm pacific – Join us for a 1-hour webinar to learn more about the “Seeking Peace in Israel-Palestine” resolution that will be considered by delegates at Orlando 2017. Andre Gingerich Stoner who helped lead the writing process will offer a short overview of the resolution. The webinar will have extensive question and answer time. Whether you read the resolution beforehand and come with questions, or use this as an introduction to the resolution, you are welcome to join the conversation. Please RSVP.