WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
June 12, 2018
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
*News and Transitions
First Mennonite Church, Hillsboro, KS (Pastor)
News and Transitions
Linda Ewert will end as pastor at Alexanderwohl Mennonite Church, Goessel, KS on August 31.
Susan Jantzen will be the Bridge Pastor of Faith Formation at Bethel College Mennonite Church, North Newton, KS, beginning on July 10.
Ryan Koch will end as pastor at Peace Mennonite Church, Dallas, TX on August 12.
Lee Suderman will be 1/2 time Interim Pastor at First Mennonite Church in Hillsboro, KS during July and August.
- Come with “Burning Hearts,” as we listen, discuss and learn deeper biblical connections with scholar/musician Bryan Moyer Suderman, your fellow delegates, and friends at the July 27-28 Western District Annual Assembly. Friday evening worship is at Tabor Mennonite Church, Newton, KS and Saturday activities are at Eden Mennonite Church, Moundridge, KS. For more information and to register, go to: http://mennowdc.org/annual-assembly/#2018annualAssembly.
- Ministers’ Afternoon Apart– Scripture, Stranger, Neighbour: Encountering the “Other” in – and with – the Bible: As part of WDC’s “Year of Evangelism,” ministers are invited to an Afternoon Apart on Friday July 27 with Bryan Moyer Suderman, 2:30 – 5:00 p.m. at Tabor Mennonite Church. We will “search the scriptures” and our own experience to explore examples of encountering the “other” in – and with – Scripture. How might Scripture inform and transform our encounters and relationships with others, inviting people to become disciples of Jesus? How might our encounters and relationships with others inform and transform our engagement with Scripture and life of discipleship? Through story, conversation, film, and song, Bryan Moyer Suderman will lead us in a dynamic and uplifting time of exploration and reflection together. The event is free, but participants are requested to RSVP to WDC: firstname.lastname@example.org or 316-283-6300.
Camp Mennoscah announcements
- The Whale playground at Camp Mennoscah is so very close to completion! Work continues on Saturday, June 16, at 10:00 a.m. to finish the wood structure, and then next Fridayand Saturday, June 22-23, at 9:00 a.m. with final dirt preparation, landscape fabric, and spreading mulch. Please bring a sack lunch. If you have already helped or even if you have not, contact camp at 620-297-3290 if you’re interested and let us know you’ll be there!
- Summer youth camps at Camp Mennoscah are in full swing! We’re having a blast with our summer theme of Beyond Belief: The Universe of God and all the wonderful campers. There are still openings for most of our camps! Senior Highers–keep registering on the wait list so that we know you want to come. We’re busy finding more places for you. If we can’t find you a space, we will return all fees paid. Register online at campmennoscah.org! Our summer youth camps are a hoot!
- Kitchen staff needed for July 15-21. Camp Mennoscah still needs 2-3 people for the week of July 15-21. Kitchen helpers do things like scoop pudding into bowls, peel potatoes, discuss deep and meaningful topics over making bierocks, laugh uproariously, and help make a great camp week with amazingly good meals. Contact us at 620-297-3290 email@example.com! This is a fun time!
Mennonite church announcements
1. Smart Living, Simple Money is a new podcast produced by and for young adults, sponsored by The Mennonite, Inc., and Everence. It focuses on how financial decisions impact – and are impacted by – our faith, values and daily lives. Each episode is built around personal stories, expert information and practical tips for managing everyday finances. The podcast’s first season features 4 episodes. Topics include debt, budgeting, big purchases, and retirement savings. For more information see smartlivingsimplemoney.com
- The Bethel College Women’s Association invites everyone to attend an “Evening with President Gering and Deborah” on Monday, June 18 at 7:00pm. Due to the heat, the location has been changed to KIPCOR, 2515 College Ave. President Gering will speak on his vision for the college. Refreshments will be served.
- Mennonite Church USA invites you, your congregations and conferences to take part in the Journey Forward process by using the newly released “Pathways” study guide. “Pathways” invites your congregation and groups to engage in studying Scripture, singing, praying, storytelling, exploring Anabaptist history and values, and discussing how you see God working in your lives.http://mennoniteusa.org/journey-forward/
WDC Sprouts announcement guidelines: Announcements pertain to Western District Conference (WDC) ministries and churches, institutions with which WDC has formal relationships, and Mennonite Church USA agencies and ministries.
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117