WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
June 11, 2019
A weekly communication for WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
*Pastoral news & transitions
Alexanderwohl Mennonite Church, Goessel, KS – Associate Pastor
Faith Mennonite Church, Newton, KS – Pastor
Iglesia Menonita Casa Betania, Newton, KS – Pastor
Lorraine Avenue Mennonite Church, Wichita, KS – Pastoral Team
News and Transitions
Our sympathies to Nancy Funk, WDC Administrative Assistant, upon the death of her mother, Norma Hiebert, on June 1.
Eugene (Gene) Miller is the Transitional Pastor at Manhattan (KS) Mennonite Church during June through August, while the church continues to seek a long-term transitional pastor.
- Western District Conference Annual Assembly: We Are Witnesses!, July 26-27, Bethel College, North Newton, KS, isfree for all children and youth. Please register and bring your family. There will be fun activities for all ages to learn how to love, follow, and serve Jesus today. For more information, go to: mennowdc.org/annual-assembly/#2019annualAssembly.
- Book Sale this weekend! Conference Resource Library Book Sale will be June 13-15, Thursday & Friday, 8 am – 5 pm and Saturday, 9 am – noon at the WDC offices, 2517 N Main in North Newton.
- Journey Forward: Peacemaking – What peace resources are present within your congregation, and what peacemaking activities is your congregation involved in? What challenges and realities does your congregation face in doing peace work? Your responses will be compiled and shared by Heidi Regier Kreider and Lee Lever as WDC representatives attending the Mennonite Church USA Journey Forward: Peacemaking gathering on July 2, 2019, prior to the MC USA convention in Kansas City. The purpose of the gathering is to explore our peace work together, discover what peace-building means for us as Anabaptists following Jesus in the 21st century, and to inspire witness to God’s peace as a priority of the Renewed Commitments for MC USA. Please send your responses by June 28 to Western District Conference at firstname.lastname@example.org or PO Box 306, North Newton, KS 67117. (You may use the attached sheet if that is helpful). Thank you!
- You are invited to Peace Mennonite Church, Lawrence, KS to hear Pauline Sharp’s presentation about Kanza history and the Kanza Heritage Society on Sunday, June 30, from 7-8:30 pm.This presentation is hosted by the Dismantling the Doctrine of Discovery Coalition (for more information see https://dofdmenno.org). Refreshments will be provided.
Camp Mennoscah announcements
- Still room at the inn! Camp Mennoscah still has spaces available for summer youth campers from grades 3-12 (fall 2019). (Spaces at Senior High Camp are continually added–sign up!) Our summer theme is Peace Works: Empowering Peacemakers. The fun, faith and fellowship is just beginning and you don’t want to miss out! Register online at campmennoscah.organd call us at 620-297-3290 with questions. It’s the best time you’ll have this summer!
- Come on out, all you families and friends, adults and youths, kids and parents! Camp Mennoscah has a weekend of fun for you at our Family Weekend, June 29-30. A light schedule allows you to have time to be together and do the camp activities of your choosing. We’ll have swimming, a campfire, and do-it-yourself crafts led by our intrepid summer staffers. Rustic cabins and Retreat Center and bunk house options available. Register online at campmennoscah.org! Call 620-297-3290 with questions.
Mennonite church announcements
- The Mennonite, Inc., invites your original submissions for our September 2019 print magazine issue and corresponding online content focusing on Faith-filled responses to health-care costs. More information at: https://themennonite.org/september-2019-call-submissions-faith-filled-responses-health-care-costs/
- Mennonite Central Committee Central States is hiring for a Young Adult Program Coordinator. This position is available starting on August 5 within the 16-state Central States region. The Young Adult Program Coordinator coordinates and recruits for MCC Central States’ young adult programs, including the International Volunteer Exchange Program (IVEP), Summer Service Worker (SSW) program, the Serving and Learning Together (SALT) program, and Seed. This position connects with Central States’ young adult alumni, especially using social media, and creates opportunities for young adults from the Central States region to serve and develop leadership skills. The full job description is available at serve.mcc.org. . Please contact Heidi Huber at email@example.com more information. Application close date: July 5, 2019.
WDC Sprouts announcement guidelines: Announcements pertain to Western District Conference (WDC) ministries and churches, institutions with which WDC has formal relationships, and Mennonite Church USA agencies and ministries.