WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
July 11, 2017
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
*News and Transitions
First Mennonite Church, McPherson, KS (Pastor)
News and Transitions
Jaime Cazares Jr., pastor at Iglesia Casa Betania in Newton, KS, will become the church planter at Iglesia Menonita Aposento Alto in Wichita, KS. This is a part time position, while he continues as pastor at Casa Betania. He will start with Aposento Alto on July 23. Aposento Alto will be meeting at the Church of the Servant Mennonite Church in Wichita.
Congratulations to Pastor Derek King and his wife Becky, on the birth of their daughter Joy Horst King on June 7. Derek is pastor at Eden Mennonite Church in Moundridge, KS.
Luann Yutzy will conclude as Interim pastor at Hoffnungsau Mennonite Church, Buhler, KS, on July 14.
Robert Yutzy will conclude as Interim Pastor at First Mennonite Church in Halstead, KS, on July 28.
- The WDC Annual Assembly will be held in Arlington, TX on August 4-6. Please register by next Wednesday, July 19. After this date meals are not included in the registration price. Food is a fun part of the fellowship, so don’t miss out! Register and pay online at: http://mennowdc.org/annual-assembly/#2017annualAssembly.
- Make your lodging reservations for the WDC Annual Assembly at the Doubletree Hotel Arlington DFW South by this Friday, July 14. (A reduced rate is available until the 14th.) Call before it’s too late: 1-800-HILTONS; ask for the “Mennonite Western District Conference” group rate, Group Code MWD.
- Seats are still available for the charter busfrom North Newton, KS to Arlington, TX for the WDC Annual Assembly August 4-6. Complete information about Annual Assembly, the chartered bus option, and online registration is at: http://mennowdc.org/annual-assembly/#2017annualAssembly.
- Reminder to church offices: Next week Wednesday, July 19, is the date by which to submit your WDC Annual Assembly Delegate List Form. This requiredform can be submitted online at: http://mennowdc.org/online-delegate-list-form/, or use the paper form sent in early June. Or alternately, you can just reply to this email with the information… Church name, address, membership number (as of January 1, 2017), and delegate names. Thank you!
- Leadership Lunch! Our next Leadership Lunch (bring your own sack lunch) is scheduled for Thursday, July 20 from 12-1:30 pm at the WDC offices. Each month, we are discussing a different Kansas Leadership Center (KLC) competency and how it relates to scripture, Anabaptist theology and practice, and our own areas of ministry. This month, we will focus on “Work Across Factions”. All pastors and ministry leaders from both WDC and SCC are welcome even if you haven’t attended a KLC training or one of the previous Leadership Lunches. We hope that these lunches will encourage and empower each of us to exercise more leadership for the common good in our churches and communities. If you have questions, please contact Kathy Neufeld Dunn (firstname.lastname@example.org), Rachel Siemens (email@example.com), or Phil Schmidt (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Scholarships for WDC Women studying theology! Western District Women in Mission is offering scholarships for the Fall 2017 semester for those enrolled at AMBS, EMS, IBA, SeBAH, etc. These scholarships are being made available through Memorial funds, please apply at https://goo.gl/forms/AorZd0Q57eYxEu692. Questions? Contact WDWM at email@example.com. Deadline August 15.Scholarship amounts depend on number of applicants.
Camp Mennoscah announcements
- Family Camp at Camp Mennoscah, July 29-30! All families of all assortments and sizes are invited to enjoy a weekend of time together. There will be campfire and singing, swimming, crafts, river play, and amazing opportunities to be in God’s creation. What a great way to experience worship! Register online at campmennoscah.orgor call us at 620-297-3290.
- The Young Adults are GATHERING! Come to Camp Mennoscah for the Young Adult Weekend, August 4-6. We’ll be hanging out and having worship, swimming, playing board games, and breaking bread together (though it may look more like grilling and ice cream). Register online at campmennoscah.orgor call us at 620-297-3290. Request a scholarship as part of the online registration. It’s going to be a blast!
- Sneak Peek at Fall Events! Thinking about fall already? Camp Mennoscah has Scrapbook and Craft Retreats, Mental Health Spiritual Retreat, Work & Play Camp, and lots of fun times coming up. Register online at campmennoscah.orgor call to make a group reservation for your family, church, or small group! We love to have groups at Camp Mennoscah!
Mennonite church announcements
In 2016, the Mennonite Worship and Song Committee began developing a new collection designed to succeed Hymnal: A Worship Book(1992), and supplements Sing the Journey(2005), and Sing the Story (2007). The Committee calls on authors (of worship resources and hymn texts), songwriters (who compose words and music as a unit), and composers (of hymn tunes) to submit original work intended to enhance congregational worship in Anabaptist-Mennonite faith communities. We welcome submissions for consideration in this new collection. We expect the submissions portal at www.MennoniteWorshipAndSongCollection.org to be active throughout 2017. More information at: http://mennoniteworshipandsongcollection.org/. Contact Resonate@MennoMedia.org with questions.
Excited to buy MCC school kit supplies when all the back-to-school supplies show up in stores? Consider helping refugee families in Jordan and Ukraine meet their basic hygiene needs with an MCC relief kit instead! Our partners in the Middle East and Ukraine are asking for more relief kits than MCC has on-hand so we need your help! Our goal is to ship 83,000 relief kits by March 2018. Visit mcc.org/mrc/kitsfor full kit information and from there click through to our Amazon Wish List for easier shopping and shipping. Just bring or ship kit items to MCC Central States 121 E. 30th St. North Newton, KS 67117. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org, 316-283-2720with questions or to schedule a kit packing event at your church! Please print the attached poster to display in your church.
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117