WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
January 8, 2019
A weekly communication for WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
*Pastoral news & transitions
Bethel College Mennonite Church, North Newton, KS – Associate Pastor for Faith Formation
Mennonite Church of the Servant, Wichita, KS – Pastor
Peace Mennonite Church, Dallas, TX – Pastor
News and Transitions
Howard Habegger, retired missionary and pastor, passed away on December 28 in Hesston, KS.
1. Year of Evangelism Online Event: Join John Garland, Pastor of San Antonio Mennonite Church, for an interactive Facebook Live conversation: “Good News for Broken Hearts: Evangelism in a Disincarnate Age.” Noon on January 11 at: https://www.facebook.com/Gospel2819
2. Western District Conference year-end snapshot: At Annual Assembly last July, WDC members gathered for worship and Bible study with guest teacher-singer-songwriter Bryan Moyer Suderman. We were enriched through workshops, sharing in the delegate session, and lots of good food and fellowship! Connecting churches through Annual Assembly is just one way your gifts to WDC empower congregations to witness and invite others to faith in Jesus Christ, dwell in just and loving relationships, and connect to God’s mission in the world. As we work together to meet WDC’s budget goal for the fiscal year (ending January 31, 2019), we request your donations online at http://mennowdc.org or sent to WDC at PO Box 306, North Newton, KS 67117. Thank you for planting these seeds of hope!
3. Reminder to WDC credentialed persons – Please return your 2019 Accountability Plan by January 15. Information and forms were emailed to you in late November, or use the online form at: http://mennowdc.org/resources-for-pastors/ to submit your plan.
4. The WDC Office and Conference Resource Library will be closed on Friday, January 11 for a staff retreat.
5. Leadership training opportunity: Would you like to strengthen your ability to motivate others to work together on common goals? Or, do you seek ways to reach out, work across differences and build trust in the face of conflict and uncertainty? If so, take advantage of WDC’s Leadership Transformation Grant from Kansas Leadership Center, to attend an adaptive leadership training program at KLC in 2019. Program sessions are filling up, but space is still available in Your Leadership Edge (the introductory training) and Equip to Lead. (Lead for Change cohorts are full, with waiting lists). To learn more see https://kansasleadershipcenter.org, and the attached information page and WDC grant application form. Please pass this announcement on to members of your congregation who are interested in growing their leadership skills.
6. Attn – WDC Church Offices – WDC welcomes receiving a copy of your church directory (paper or electronic) when they are updated. Send to: WDC, PO Box 306, North Newton KS 67117 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
7. “Choices”, a play by Gretchen Eick will be presented at Lorraine Avenue Mennonite Church, Wichita, KS on Saturday, January 26, 7 pm, admission is free. It is a story that came to Gretchen during her time of teaching in Bosnia this past year, along with her husband, Rev. Mike Poage. They are active with the Peace Committee of Lorraine Avenue. In the play a young Bosnian woman with a university degree, who can’t find work, meets a Bosnian-American man wishing to be connected to his birth culture. Each must make choices including what religion and country mean to them. Additionally, a Hallal meal from Omar’s Kitchen will be available at 6 pm for a donation. To reserve your meal – contact email@example.com or call 316-682-4555.
Camp Mennoscah announcements
1. Summer staff applications WELCOMED! Camp Mennoscah is searching for and reaching out to those folks 18 and older to be part of our summer leadership family. We’re looking for lifeguards, music leaders, crafts leaders, office and media assistants, naturalists, and grounds/maintenance. It will be a summer of fun times, meaningful relationship building, and leadership skills! Apply online at campmennoscah.org under Summer Youth Camps. This is an amazing way for young adults to serve and grow in faith!
2. Camp Mennoscah is now accepting applicants for a quarter-time (10 hours/week) custodial-housekeeping position. The position will remain open until filled. Contact Olivia at 620-297-3290 or firstname.lastname@example.org for further information. Spread the word!
3. Online registration for 2019 Camp Mennoscah Retreats will open January 12! Go to www.campmennoscah.org to register for retreats like Scrapbook and Crafts, Family Weekend, and Retirees Retreat. There’s always something that goes awry in the update–please let us know if something is amiss! We can’t wait to see you again!