WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
August 13, 2019
A weekly communication for WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
*Pastoral news & transitions
Alexanderwohl Mennonite Church, Goessel, KS – Associate Pastor
Faith Mennonite Church, Newton, KS – Pastor
Iglesia Menonita Casa Betania, Newton, KS – Pastor
Lorraine Avenue Mennonite Church, Wichita, KS – Pastoral Team
Southern Hills Mennonite Church, Topeka, KS – Pastor
News and Transitions
Nathan Koontz will end as Associate Pastor at First Mennonite Church, Hutchinson, KS on September 30. He will become the Associate Pastor for Pastoral Care at Bethel College Mennonite Church, North Newton, KS on October 1.
Kristine Regehr will end as Transitional Pastor at Southern Hills Mennonite Church, Topeka, KS on August 31. She will begin as 3/4ths-time Transitional Pastor at Manhattan (KS) Mennonite Church on September 22 (and also continue as part-time Transitional Pastor at Joy Mennonite Church in Oklahoma City, OK).
- MCC Lunch and Learn, this Thursday, August 15, 12-1 pm, 121 E 30th St (MCC Central States), North Newton, KS: Recent participants in the MCC South Texas Borderlands Learning Tour will reflect on their experiences. RSVPs for lunch were due yesterday, but anyone is welcome to come listen to the presentation. If you are at a distance, contact Nancy Funk (firstname.lastname@example.org) for a Zoom video conference link.
- Leadership Lunches continue on the fourth Thursday of each month. These lunch discussions are based on Kansas Leadership Center (KLC) principles, competencies, and behaviors, but please come even if you haven’t attended a KLC training. Case studies are used to guide our time together. Come join us on Thursday, August 22 at the WDC offices from 12-1:30pm (bring your own lunch). If you want to join via Zoom video conference, let us know (email@example.com), and you will be sent a link.
- WDC Dallas congregationsare invited to join together for worship on Saturday, August 24 from 6:30-8:30 pm at Iglesia Comunidad de Esperanza to connect and build relationships. (See attached.)
- First Mennonite Church, 427 W. 4th St, Halstead, KS will celebrate the ordination of Pastor Steve Wilcox on Sunday, August 25 at 5 pm. Pastor Wilmer Harder will be the guest speaker and the choir and bell choir will provide special music. A meal will follow in the fellowship hall beginning at 6 pm. All are welcome.
- Tabor Mennonite Church, Newton KS, will celebrate the dedication of their new Fellowship Hall on Sunday, August 25. Worship begins at 10am followed by a catered meal in the Fellowship Hall. All are welcome to join the celebration! Additionally, Tabor invites everyone to join us at our church park in the evening for our annual MennoGrass event. Supper is provided and will be served beginning at 5:30pm. Music by Hopeful Blues and the Flannelbacks will begin around 6. If possible, bring table service and lawn chairs. We hope to see you there!
- Immigration Justice and You:WDC Immigration Task Force invites 1-2 people from every congregation to share in an immigration networking event Thursday, August 29, 7-8:30 pm at 2517 N Main St, North Newton, KS (WDC offices). Share what your congregation is doing toward immigration justice. What do you wish you were doing? What kind of resources does your congregation want and need on this topic? If you are at a distance, contact Nancy Funk to receive a link to join via Zoom.
- Family Fun Night!! Mark your calendars for an evening of light-hearted fun at Hoffnungsau Mennonite Church (43 13th Ave., rural Inman, KS) on Saturday, August 31! All sorts of entertainment are in the works: A car show will begin at 5 pm. Children will enjoy playing in large inflatables (for free!) and have a good time with water games! At 5:30 pm a corn hole tournament will get underway (come at 5 pm to get your 2-person team registered to play with a $20 entry fee). Half of entry costs will be awarded back in prizes and half the proceeds will go to Mennonite Central Committee’s school kit project. Food trucks and booths will be selling tasty eats for supper and snacks. And while this much fun might seem “inconceivable” (hint, hint!), at 8:30 pm, we also invite you to bring your lawn chairs and blankets for a family friendly evening movie projected on the big screen outside, “as you wish”… Bring friends and come for a relaxing evening of entertainment! Check Hoffnungsau Mennonite Church’s Facebook page for more information.
- Attention High School Youth and Church Leaders: The WDC/SCC Youth Ministry Committee is excited to announce the start of a new discipleship and leadership initiative for high school youth called Youth Lead Now. We invite churches to send youth to this one day workshop at Hesston College (Hesston,KS) on September 7, that integrates faith and leadership gifts. Using the Kansas Leadership Center’s framework and spiritual disciplines, we hope to encourage passion and increase competence in leadership for the sake of the church and the world. See the attached flyer for details and registration information. Please contact Isaac Landis (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.
- WDC Reference Councilgathering will be Sat., September 14, at 8:30 am – 12 noon (with lunch following) at the WDC offices at 2517 North Main Street, North Newton, KS. All members of WDC Executive Board, the four Commissions, Gifts Discernment Committee and staff are invited to this time of orientation for the new program year, worship, sharing and planning together. (A specific invitation and request for RSVP will also be sent directly to participants).
- WDC Pastors: Consider “Pastors to Projects” with Mennonite Disaster Service the next time you plan for a congregational service project, personal vacation or sabbatical. This program welcomes active pastors and their spouses from MDS constituent congregations to a hands-on experience at an MDS site. Be part of expressing Christ’s love while offering hope to survivors of a disaster. The program offers a travel reimbursement for the pastor and spouse, as well as lodging and food. For more information see https://mds.mennonite.net/pastors-to-projects/
Camp Mennoscah announcements
- The Mental Health Spiritual Retreat at Camp Mennoscah will be September 1-2. The theme for the retreat is Living Peacefully! Come support each other and enjoy fellowship, music, and worship. This retreat is for individuals affected by mental illness, including family and friends. Register online at campmennoscah.org.
- Work & Play Day! September 14 is the next Work & Play Day at Camp Mennoscah. Join us for service, a simple lunch, and some free time in the afternoon (your choice). Please register online at campmennoscah.orgor call us at 620-297-3290! We love our volunteers!
Mennonite church announcements
- The Mennonite, Inc., invites your original submissions for our October 2019 print magazine issue and corresponding online content focusing on Positive uses of power. For more information, go to: https://themennonite.org/october-2019-call-submissions-positive-uses-power/ Submissions are due to Editor@TheMennonite.org no later than September 2.
- Sent Network is a new resourcing curriculum developed by Mennonite Mission Networkto assist conferences, churches and leaders to plant peace churches and to be part of missional efforts in engaging the gospel with their local contexts.
- A free webinar introducing the Sent Network will take place August 13 at 6 p.m. CDT. For more information and to register, see https://www.mennonitemission.net/resources/church-vitality/church-planting/Sent-Network-webinar-presentation
- The first Sent Network cohort group will begin August 29. Registration fee is $65, and is due August 19. Each module takes about six hours of work (counting individual readings, video clips, and writing) and videoconferencing with the cohort group. The total time for all the modules is six months. For registration and more information see, https://www.mennonitemission.net/resources/church-vitality/church-planting/The-Sent-Network
WDC Sprouts announcement guidelines: Announcements pertain to Western District Conference (WDC) ministries and churches, institutions with which WDC has formal relationships, and Mennonite Church USA agencies and ministries.