WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
April 9, 2019
A weekly communication for WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
Alexanderwohl Mennonite Church, Goessel, KS – Associate Pastor
Bethel College Mennonite Church, North Newton, KS – Associate Pastor for Faith Formation
Iglesia Menonita Casa Betania, Newton, KS – Pastor
Mennonite Church of the Servant, Wichita, KS – Pastor
- Save the date! The WDC Annual Assembly will be held July 26-27 at Bethel College in North Newton, KS. Mennonite Church USA Executive Director, Glen Guyton, will be our keynote speaker! More information will be available in May. Everyone’s invited!
- Pastors’ Financial Assistance grant:Everence has been awarded a second $1 million grant from Lilly Endowment to address financial needs of pastors. Similar to a previous grant, this program will provide direct financial assistance through matching grants to pastors to help alleviate debt burdens such as education, medical and credit card debt. (Grants are available to pastors who have not previously received direct financial assistance grants as part of the program). Financial assistance grants must be matched by congregations, the conference, or other sources. WDC encourages congregations to provide matching funds for pastors who are eligible for a grant. The WDC Ministerial Leadership Commission also has made a limited number of matching grants available to assist eligible pastors who are approved by Everence for a grant. For more information, please contact WDC. March 1 is the first due-date for grant applications, with subsequent due-dates on June 1, Sept 1 and Nov 1. The grant will also assist pastors with financial planning subsidies toward the cost of a first-year Everence comprehensive financial plan, and support educational events on topics such as retirement planning, debt reduction, financial planning, clergy taxes, etc. For more information and application forms go to https://www.everence.com/financial-services/for-churches/pastoral-financial-wellness-program.
- Do you know of someone who has gifts, skills, and perspectives to share in the ministry of Western District Conference? The WDC Gifts Discernment Committee invites your suggestions as they consider nominees to fill positions on the four WDC commissions (Church Planting Commission, Ministerial Leadership Commission, Resource Commission and Stewardship Commission). Nominees will be presented for affirmation by delegates at WDC Annual Assembly, July 26-27, 2019 at Bethel College. For more information about the work and current members of WDC commissions, see http://mennowdc.org/executive-board-commissions/– Please contact WDC at firstname.lastname@example.org or 316-283-6300 to offer your suggestions for future nominees. Thanks!
Camp Mennoscah announcements
- Two nurses needed for Summer Youth Camps! Camp Mennoscah is looking for a camp nurse for the weeks of June 9-15 and June 23-29. Nurses receive a stipend or a full camper discount. Contact us at email@example.com 620-297-3290 to become one of our much adored nurses!
- Friends, moms, dads, neighbors, grandparents, and other random volunteers welcomed! Camp Mennoscah is looking for kitchen helpers for the weeks of June 9-15, June 23-29, and July 14-20. No great skills are needed; following directions is all that is necessary (bring your sense of humor and flexibility). Contact Olivia at firstname.lastname@example.org 620-297-3290. Parents receive a camper discount up to full camp fees! It’s going to be an amazing summer with amazing volunteers!
- Retirees Retreat at Camp Mennoscah, April 22-24! We can’t wait to see retirees of all ages for a time of renewal! There will be sessions on everything from trips to Central America and Ukraine to Reader’s Theater and a steel drum concert. Take time for a break or go for a walk or have coffee and conversation. Singing and Bible studies included! A poster for the Retirees Retreat is attached. Email email@example.com call 620-297-3290 for a brochure. Register online at campmennoscah.org! Bring friends!
- Work and Play Day at Camp Mennoscah coming soon! Our first Work & Play Day of the year is April 27. We’ll start work projects at 8:30am and end at 2:30pm, just in time for you to spend the rest of the afternoon playing. A simple lunch will be served. Please register online at campmennoscah.orgor call us at 620-297-3290 to let us know you’re coming! All ages invited; those under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
Mennonite church announcements
The Mennonite, Inc., invites your original submissions for our June 2019 print magazine issue and corresponding online content focusing on Congregational peace witness. https://themennonite.org/june-2019-call-submissions/
WDC Sprouts announcement guidelines: Announcements pertain to Western District Conference (WDC) ministries and churches, institutions with which WDC has formal relationships, and Mennonite Church USA agencies and ministries.