WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
October 15, 2019
A weekly communication for WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
*Pastoral news & transitions
Alexanderwohl Mennonite Church, Goessel, KS – Associate Pastor
Faith Mennonite Church, Newton, KS – Pastor
Southern Hills Mennonite Church, Topeka, KS – Pastor
Turpin Mennonite Church, Turpin, OK – Pastor
News and Transitions
Eric Buller ended as Interim Pastor at Lorraine Avenue Mennonite Church, Wichita KS on September 30.
Brett Klingenberg has resigned as Pastor at First Mennonite Church, Beatrice, NE, effective May 2020.
Randy Smith will end as Interim Pastor at Faith Mennonite Church, Newton, KS, on October 31.
Graciela Tijerina began as Pastor at Iglesia Menonita Casa Betania, Newton, KS on October 12.
Ben Woodward-Breckbill, Associate Pastor at Shalom Mennontie Church, Newton, KS, will have an ordination service during the October 27 worship service at 10:45 am. All are invited!
Luann Yutzy ended as Transitional Pastor at Lorraine Avenue Mennonite Church, Wichita, KS, on September 30.
- Interested in history? WDC’s Historical Committee has selected some of their favorite titles from the Resource Library. Check out the list here: Historical Committeeor stop by the library. We’d also be happy to mail resources to you! Contact Jennie at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Goshen College Parables will perform a concert at Shalom Mennonite Church, Tuesday, October 15 at 7 PM. Parables is a student ensemble whose performances combine music, drama, and storytelling into a worshipful experience. Parables has been well-received by audiences of all ages. We hope you can come! 800 E. 1st St, Newton. The concert is free of charge, and a free-will offering will be taken.
- Leadership Lunches continue on the fourth Thursday of each month. These lunch discussions are based on Kansas Leadership Center (KLC) principles, competencies, and behaviors, but please come even if you haven’t attended a KLC training. Case studies are used to guide our time together. We are looking for a volunteer to present her/his case study on October 24. Please email email@example.com to volunteer. Join us at the WDC offices from 12-1:30 pm on October 24 (bring your own lunch). If you want to join via Zoom video conference, let us know (firstname.lastname@example.org), and you will be sent a link.
- The West Zion Mennonite Church (101 S Washington, Moundridge, KS) Concert Series continues with an event on Sunday, October 27 at 7 pm. Featured performers include Ken Rodgers, Organ; Tropical Shores, a steel pan duo with Brad Shores & Erica Nance; The Brainflowers, an instrumental trio composed of Rebecca Schloneger, Violin; Seth Girton, Cello; and Kenna Graber, Flute. Donna Stucky, Piano, will also perform. A free-will offering will be received; fellowship and refreshments will follow the concert. (Local churches, please run this announcement in your Oct 20 and 27 bulletins. Thank you!)
Camp Mennoscah announcements
- What a great time we had at Fall Fest! Thank you to everyone who stopped by the Camp Mennoscah booth and said hi, bought a cookie, looked at the tee shirts, or even intended to stop by but got stuck somewhere on the other side of the Green as everyone stopped to talk with you. It was a great way to build community away from camp and we’re so glad you were part of the fun!
- Scrapbook and Crafts Retreat, Nov. 1-3, only has a few more spaces! Sign up at campmennoscah.orgto grab your spot at this weekend of cropping, crafting, and fellowshiping!
WDC Sprouts announcement guidelines: Announcements pertain to Western District Conference (WDC) ministries and churches, institutions with which WDC has formal relationships, and Mennonite Church USA agencies and ministries.