WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
June 15, 2021
A weekly communication for WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
We invite your continuing support for WDC! Contributions may be made HERE.
IN THIS ISSUE:
*WDC Ministerial and Credential Announcements
First Mennonite Church, Beatrice NE
First Mennonite Church, Newton KS
Hoffnungsau Mennonite Church, Inman KS
Manhattan Mennonite Church, Manhattan KS
Turpin Mennonite Church, Turpin OK
- WDC Annual Assembly, July 30-Aug 1 is by donation this year! We’ll tell you what the cost of this hybrid event is, and you give as you can. If you plan to be on-site, you’re welcome to order a box lunch on Saturday or bring your own. Food trucks will offer a variety of supper options on Saturday to purchase for on-site participants. For more Assembly info, go to: https://mennowdc.org/2021-wdc-annual-assembly/
- Special Annual Assembly Storytelling Opportunity! WDC’s Assembly theme July 30-August 1 is “Woven into God’s Story.” StoryCorps has invited WDC to partner with their storytelling project, One Small Step, to share and record our own stories within WDC. One Small Step is an initiative to facilitate conversations across differences, between people who may disagree politically. (Facilitators are bilingual in Spanish and English.) It’s not a debate. It’s a chance to spend time virtually with someone different than you and discover the stories behind each other’s beliefs. To join another WDC member for an online conversation, sign up at https://onesmallstep.storycorps.org/wdc/. The registration deadline is June 25 and virtual recordings will be scheduled July 28-30 (space is limited). For more information about One Small Step see attached flyer.
¡Oportunidad especial de contar historias en la Asamblea Anual! El tema de la Asamblea de WDC del 30 de julio al 1 de agosto es “Entretejido en la historia de Dios”. StoryCorps ha invitado a WDC a asociarse con su proyecto de narración, One Small Step, para compartir y grabar nuestras propias historias dentro de WDC. One Small Step es una iniciativa para facilitar las conversaciones a través de las diferencias, entre personas que pueden estar en desacuerdo políticamente. (Los facilitadores son bilingües en español e inglés). No es un debate. Es una oportunidad de pasar tiempo virtualmente con alguien diferente a usted y descubrir las historias detrás de las creencias de cada uno. Para unirse a otro miembro de WDC para una conversación en línea, regístrese en https://onesmallstep.storycorps.org/wdc/. La fecha límite de inscripción es el 25 de junio y las grabaciones virtuales se programarán del 28 al 30 de julio (el espacio es limitado). Para obtener más información sobre One Small Step, consulte el folleto adjunto.
- Staff position opening: WDC seeks a full time Administrative Assistant to work out of its North Newton, KS office, beginning August 25. Responsibilities include office management, communications, records management, scheduling, and administrative support for staff. Qualifications include strong organizational, computer and communication skills, ability to collaborate as part of a team, and willingness to promote WDC’s mission and priorities. For more information, position description and application materials, contact Heidi Regier Kreider, Conference Minister, at email@example.com or 316-283-6300.
WDC Ministerial and Credential announcements
Eldon Epp will end as Pastor at First Mennonite Church, Ransom, KS, on August 31. He began as Chaplain at Bethesda Home, Goessel, KS on June 9.
Kathryn Goering Reid, Executive Director at Family Abuse Center, Waco TX, retired on June 1. Her credential was changed from Active to Retired.
Camp Mennoscah announcements
- Family Weekend at Camp Mennoscah on July 17-18! If you are looking for a weekend to escape, Family Weekend offers a smorgasbord of camp activities for you to choose from and plenty of time to roam the river and be with your family and friends. Register at campmennoscah.organd contact 620-297-3290 with questions!
- Extra help and hands needed for summer youth camps! Camp Mennoscah has paid and volunteer positions for grounds, maintenance and custodial positions. For those of college age, there is a weekly stipend position that could be a lifeguard, grounds, or custodial position. Contact Camp Mennoscah at 620-297-3290 or firstname.lastname@example.org details. You will make camp an amazing experience for everyone!
Mennonite church announcements
- Interested in short-term service opportunities? Ask us about SOOP! We’d love to speak with your congregation about the awesome service opportunities that we can provide through SOOP. Contact LaurenEH@MennoniteMission.netfor more information.
- Iris de León-Hartshorn, associate executive director of Mennonite Church USA, offers a response to the hatred and brutality that continues against the Asian American and Pacific Islander population in the United States. Read her call to action here: https://www.mennoniteusa.org/respond-to-hatred3. In “Reclaiming my Indonesian Heritage,” Syerafina Himawan, an Indonesian-American teenager, shares some of her experiences dealing with racism in high school. Himawan explores how her friends’ racist actions caused her to abandon her heritage, only to later have her love of her Indonesian culture reinvigorated. https://www.mennoniteusa.org/reclaiming-indonesian-heritage4. Have you heard that MennoCon21, Mennonite Church USA’s biennium convention, will be offering a Bible study each morning, led by Safwat Marzouk? Marzouk reflects on the themes that will be covered each morning, in his blog, “Peace and Justice Amid the Pandemics of COVID-19 and Racism.” https://www.mennoniteusa.org/peace-justice-amid-covid-racism5. Make the most of your Voices Together experience by exploring the depths of the Voices Together website. Read Katie Graber’s blog, “Best-kept Secrets of the Voices Together Website,” to ensure you don’t miss anything! https://www.mennoniteusa.org/secrets-voices-together-website
6. Want to know more about the exciting things happening across our denomination? Subscribe to PeaceMail, Mennonite Church USA’s weekly news digest: mennoniteusa.org/peacemail
- Mennonite Heritage and Ag Museum in Goessel is having the 2021 Antique, Classic Car, Truck and Motorcycle Show at 200 N. Poplar in Goessel, KS on June 19 from 10 am – 3 pm. Free admission to the museum all day, Museum “Garage” sale, Hot dog meal deal starts at 11 am, Free ice cream bars 1-2pm sponsored by Goessel Recreation Commission. $ 10 Exhibitor’s entry fee. 620-367-8200. Come “Fill Your Tank With Memories”.
WDC Sprouts announcement guidelines: Announcements pertain to Western District Conference (WDC) ministries and churches, institutions with which WDC has formal relationships, and Mennonite Church USA agencies and ministries.
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620