WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
July 14, 2020
A weekly communication for WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
We invite your continuing support for WDC! Contributions may be made HERE.
IN THIS ISSUE:
*Pastoral news & transitions
Southern Hills Mennonite Church, Topeka, KS – Pastor
Turpin Mennonite Church, OK – Pastor
WDC Associate Conference Minister (Texas-Based)
News and Transitions
Jacob T. Friesen, retired pastor and church leader, passed away on June 6, 2020.
Roger Neufeld Smith will be Interim Pastor at First Mennonite Church, Beatrice, NE, beginning August 23.
- WDC (Virtual) Annual Assembly is coming up on August 1-2! See Assembly information at: https://mennowdc.org/2020-wdc-annual-assembly/. The delegate session will be held August 1 at 9 am. Delegates, please register by July 17 to receive a Zoom link for the delegate session (link will be sent prior to August 1). Anyone (no registration required) can participate in the August 1 afternoon webinars – links to those will be posted on WDC’s website prior to August 1.
- WDC Assembly Worship on August 2: God will be praised through wonderful music with Texas flair, a story of God’s presence by a first-generation immigrant (Sue Park-Hur), a sermon by Danny Carroll R (biblical scholar who specializes in stories of God’s people on the move) and a blessing of WDC ministers. The prerecorded worship (in separate English and Spanish versions) will go live on the WDC Facebook page via Facebook Live on Sunday, August 2 at 10 am CT. The link for this special time of worship will also be available before then by emailing email@example.com. After Sunday morning, the worship video will be available for viewing on the WDC YouTube channel.
- WDC Assembly Virtual Kidz Kamp! There will be craft ideas, snack suggestions, music, stories and more available for elementary-aged kids via a pre-recorded video as part of our virtual WDC Annual Assembly August 1-2. We also ask our kids and youth to take a picture of any artistic responses (poem, drawing, song) to our Assembly scriptures (Jeremiah 29:4 and following; 1 Peter 2: 11-12) for use during the delegate session. Please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- WDC Assembly Video Snapshots – To learn more about WDC congregations, Commissions, Committees and Task Forces, watch their video snapshots at: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6aO7e884ZT5d9gHzyrfAucccOFYYd_M5, More are added as they become available.
- What seeds are growing in WDC? Each issue of the WDC Garden (quarterly newsletter) in 2020 will feature some “seeds” – brief highlights from congregations about new initiatives, creative ideas, missional practices and connections within WDC. If you have some “seeds” to suggest for consideration in the Garden, please send a note to WDC at email@example.com!
- Policies and Practice: If your congregation is updating your child, youth, and adult safety (“Safe Sanctuaries”) policy and/or wants an updated safety training or Circle of Grace orientation, contact WDC Associate Conference Minister Kathy Neufeld Dunn (firstname.lastname@example.org 316-283-6300). She keeps current on sexual abuse prevention and response and is happy to help congregations do so too.
Camp Mennoscah announcements
- You are welcome to visit! Camp Mennoscah is open to families, individuals, and groups for days and overnights. The number of groups on campgrounds is limited and each family/group will have their own bathroom. Canoes are available for use; paddles and lifejackets are checked out and disinfected after use. Contact us at email@example.com 620-297-3290. Spend some time at the river, on the trails, or simply enjoying this sacred space!
- Thank you to the First Mennonite Youth Group of Newton, Kansas! 18 people spent a masked and socially distant week working on improvements on campgrounds. The new swing sets were installed and work began on both the trail bridge and amphitheater renovations. There was a lot of work done by the youth and sponsors, both to keep everyone safe and to make Camp Mennoscah the beautiful and fun place we know it to be. We are overflowing with gratitude!
- Camp in a Box from Camp Mennoscah–The vast majority of Camp in the Boxes and tee shirts have been distributed. If you have not received yours (and we have not been in touch), please contact Camp Mennoscah at firstname.lastname@example.org 620-297-3290. We’ll get it figured out!
- Camp Mennoscah’s Family Weekend has been cancelled due to the low number of attendees. The annual Camp Sing scheduled for August 8 has also been cancelled. Staff will continue to brainstorm options for events that can be done safely!
Mennonite church announcements
- Melanie Neufeld and her husband are pastors of Community Ministry at Seattle Mennonite Church, seeking justice, change and protection for unsheltered people. Get a first-hand look at their ministry in Melanie’s blog, “The prick of compassion.” http://mennoniteusa.org/menno-snapshots/compassion/
2. Imagine planting a peace churchamid a pandemic and nationwide protests – that was the backdrop for Mennonite Church USA’s newest church plant in New York. Read more about the Brooklyn Peace Center: http://mennoniteusa.org/news/nyc-peace-witness/
3. Catch up on all the news, blogs and events from Mennonite Church by subscribing to PeaceMail, a weekly e-newsletter. Check out the latest issue and subscribe here: http://ow.ly/K5Z150Afsnm
- Service Adventure only has five spots remaining for the 2020-2021 term beginning this fall. If you are interested in taking a gap year to serve, live in community, and grow spiritually, contact SusanN@MennoniteMission.netor apply online at MennoniteMission.net/ServiceAdventure.
WDC Sprouts announcement guidelines: Announcements pertain to Western District Conference (WDC) ministries and churches, institutions with which WDC has formal relationships, and Mennonite Church USA agencies and ministries.
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620