WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
August 9, 2016
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
*News and Transitions
Alexanderwohl Mennonite Church, Goessel, KS – Pastor
Eden Mennonite Church, Moundridge, KS – Associate Pastor
Faith Mennonite Church, Newton, KS – Associate Pastor
First Mennonite Church, Halstead, KS – Pastor
Hoffnungsau Mennonite Church, Inman, KS – Pastor
Iglesia Menonita Aposento Alto, Wichita, KS (Church Planter-Pastor)
Shalom Mennonite Church, Newton, KS – Associate Pastor
News and Transitions
Karen Andres began serving as Interim Associate Pastor at Eden Mennonite Church, Moundridge, KS on July 1.
The board of the Camp Mennoscah Association is excited to announce the selection of Michael Unruh as its new Executive Director. He will begin in this position on September 6.
WDC Annual Assembly 2016 Actions:
- Election Results: Moderator Elect: Ray Reimer; Executive Board Secretary: Allen Jantz; Executive Board: Cynthia Loganbill, Jim Stucky; Church Planting Commission: Marv Zehr, Violeta Ajquejay; Gifts Discernment Committee: Roberta Harms, Susan Jantzen; Ministerial Leadership Commission: Dave Stevens, Gail Graber; Resource Commission: Vicki Hinz Ensz, Gordon Houser; Stewardship Commission: Emily Voran, Darlene Powers
- A 2017 budget of $588,050 was approved.
- An amendment was made to the WDC Constitution Bylaw 5, which focuses on WDC appointments to others organizations.
1. Palestinian speaker to visit WDC: WDC will host evangelical Christian Palestinian leader Rev. Alex Awad for presentations in central Kansas September 2-6, 2016, in response to the Mennonite Church USA resolution on Palestine/Israel. Rev. Awad will lead a session on Christian Zionism and Theology of the Land on Sat., Sept 3, 9:00-11:30 a.m. at Shalom Mennonite Church, Newton, KS. On Sun., Sept 4, he will speak in 9:45 a.m. Sunday school and 10:45 a.m. worship at Zion Mennonite Church, Elbing, KS, and at 7 p.m. at Lorraine Avenue Mennonite, Wichita, KS. Rev. Awad will also visit Bethel, Hesston and Tabor colleges for presentations. All events free and open to the public. For more information see attached document or go to: https://mennowdc.org/rev-alex-awad-palestinian-speaker-september-2-6-2016/.
2. WDC’s Fall Reference Council gathering will be Sat., Oct 22, at Iglesia Luz del Evangelio in Dallas, TX, on the theme Held Together in Mission: Being Church in the Urban Context. Following last Spring’s Reference Council gathering focused on the rural church, the Oct 22 event will include story-telling and table conversation about urban opportunities and challenges, and how urban and rural congregations in WDC can learn from each other as partners in God’s mission. All WDC congregation members, commission/board members, and staff are invited! Plan now to attend, and watch for more information about the schedule. If you are interested in car-pooling, contact the WDC office.
3. Curious about “Love Is a Verb: A One-Year Spiritual Practices Resource” by Leo Hartshorn? We have a copy of this resource (highlighted in last week’s Sprouts by Associate Conference Minister Kathy Neufeld Dunn) available for preview in the Conference Resource Library.
4. Historic faith formation resources now available at the Resource Library. Copies of 1937 catechism, 1968 This we believe (with studyguide) and other catechism guides from the mid to late 20th-century. Stop by to take a look.
5. Laughter is Sacred Space is on tour and coming to Buhler, KS during Suicide Prevention Awareness Month on Sunday, September 4 at 7:00 pm at Buhler High School, 611 N Main St, Buhler, KS 67522. $2 admission, open to the public. Sponsored by Buhler Mennonite Church and NAMI Reno County. Call 620.543.2733 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. In this gritty and dramatic talk, Ted Swartz walks you through his relationship with friend and business partner, Lee Eshleman, who took his own life in 2007. Ted explores the paradox of working with a comedic partner struggling with bipolar disorder, as well as the challenge of writing and performing stories about God while experiencing the absence of God after Lee’s death. Using multi-media and his twenty years of storytelling experience, Laughter is Sacred Space is honest, funny and vulnerable, and reveals the unique journey of working as a comedic actor under the shadow of a mental illness, and offers hope and humor in a way that only Ted could deliver.
6. Singing Success! The annual Camp Mennoscah Camp Sing celebrated the end of the 2016 summer camps with approximately 160 “choristers” and camp supporters. We sang and sang some more and then finished off the evening with popcorn and generic pop–a Camp Mennoscah tradition. Almost $1000 was raised for new dishes, glasses, and other tableware as part of the kitchen renovations. Thank you, everyone, for your generous gifts and support of Camp Mennoscah!
7. Mental Health Spiritual Retreat–All are welcome to join us for a Mental Health Spiritual Retreat at Camp Mennoscah on September 4-5–this includes family members, friends, and community members of those affected by mental illness! We will be relaxing, spending time with others, enjoying free time and sessions on the theme of Courage in Community. Scholarships available. Register online at www.campmennoscah.org or call 620-297-3290.
8. Work & Play Camp on the Weekend! We’ve shifted this year’s schedule of our annual service-oriented retreat at Camp Mennoscah to include a weekend. We did this just for those of you who have weekday commitments–we wanted you to be able to join in the fun! This retreat is September 16-20 and is for all ages. You are welcome to come for whatever time fits your schedule. There is no cost to this retreat. Suggested donation of $4 per meal per person. Register online at www.campmennoscah.org or call us at 620-297-3290.
9. Camp Mennoscah Association Annual Meeting–This year’s annual meeting of the Camp Mennoscah Association will be on September 18 at Camp Mennoscah. All are invited to attend! More details will be upcoming. Put us on your calendar!
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620