WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
April 13, 2021
A weekly communication for WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
We invite your continuing support for WDC! Contributions may be made HERE.
IN THIS ISSUE:
*WDC Ministerial and Credential Announcements
First Mennonite Church, Beatrice NE – Pastor
First Mennonite Church, Newton KS – Pastoral Team
Hoffnungsau Mennonite Church, Inman KS – Pastor
Turpin Mennonite Church, Turpin OK – Pastor
- Church Replanting – Discerning God’s Call to Change
God is continuing to call God’s church to change so that we can better embody our Jesus-given mission. Perhaps the Spirit is already moving in your heart: Have you been longing to implement changes resulting in deeper discipleship, while inviting and welcoming others into the way of Jesus? But how can we do that if we have become stuck in what was and what has been? How can we prayerfully approach healthy changes as a community for the sake of the Gospel? Join members of the WDC Church Planting Commission for a Zoom conversation and discussion on these topics and more on April 21 at 11:00 am (https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84445430211?pwd=Y3A4V2toK3YxUEVhZGtVcEQzU21nQT09, Meeting ID: 844 4543 0211, Passcode: 173971). Tim Amor, pastor at Beatrice (NE) Mennonite Church, will share his congregation’s ‘replanting’ story and engage our own exploration into how God’s Spirit is moving within us and the congregations we serve, considering guiding questions such as:
- What are you willing to change so that you and your church can better embody and share the love of Jesus?
· What are you not willing to change?
· How can we better disciple and invite others to join with us in orienting all of life toward the radical love of Jesus?
- KLC Competencies: “Why Purposes Matters (and Why Experimentation in Crucial) is our discussion topic next Thursday, April 22, 12-1 pm. Join us if you are a Kansas Leadership Center alum or if you’re curious. Email firstname.lastname@example.org the Zoom link.
WDC Ministerial and Credential announcements
Luann Yutzy began as Transitional Interim Pastor at Grace Mennonite Fellowship in Lacy Spring, VA on February 1, 2021, changing her credential from Active without Charge to Active. As a transitional pastor, her credential remains with WDC.
Camp Mennoscah announcements
- Men and Boys Retreat, April 16-18, at Camp Mennoscah! Come to Camp Mennoscah for time for fishing, canoeing, worshiping, sitting by the fire, or visiting with friends in fellowship. No pre-registration. Registration and payment will take place upon arrival at the shelter. For more information contact Kevin Neufeld at 316-322-5515.
- Camp Mennoscah is cleaning house! Anyone visiting will notice a “display” of items in the field in front of the maintenance shed. When the shed was cleaned out, the items were placed there until we could find new locations for them. It’s messy, as many big cleaning projects are, and we’ll continue to find places to store those items!
- Camp Mennoscah is seeking to fill a part-time custodian/housekeeper position. Hours average 10 per week and are flexible, dependent upon the camp schedule. For more information, contact Camp Mennoscah at 620-297-3290 or email@example.com
- Camp Mennoscah is seeking a full-time Director of Development, Marketing & Communications to lead our ongoing operational and advancement needs. More information at www.campmennoscah.org. Applications accepted until the position is filled; early submission encouraged. Please send application materials (resume, cover letter, references and salary requirements) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mennonite church announcements
- Come build communities of peace with the Colombia Youth Venture experience. Youth participants in both countries come together (virtually) to collaboratively explore that which makes for peace in their own, respective contexts. Visit MennoniteMission.net/YouthVenture to learn more. Deadline is May 1!
- Looking for a non-traditional pastoral role? Become a unit leader for Service Adventure, a gap-year program for ages 17-20 from Mennonite Mission Network. Unit leaders, who are at least 24 years of age, serve as mentors to the young adults in the Service Adventure household. Leaders are needed in Colorado Springs, CO and Johnstown, PA. Learn more by contacting SusanN@MennoniteMission.net.
- Pastor Jon Carlson of Forest Hills (Pennsylvania) Mennonite Church has been nominated as Mennonite Church USA moderator-elect for the 2021-2023 biennium. Read more here: https://www.mennoniteusa.org/carlson-elect
4. Hendy Matahelemaul sheds light on the dramatic increase in hate crimes and acts of racism against Asians in the United States in his blog, “Difficult things in difficult times.” Learn more here: https://www.mennoniteusa.org/difficult-things-times
5. In her blog, “Let us lay down our economic weapons,” Katerina Parsons explains the impact that U.S. economic sanctions have on the people in the countries that have experienced these sanctions. Parsons calls us to advocate against these sanctions, in order put our love for people around the world into action. https://www.mennoniteusa.org/economic-weapons
6. As a young man, Alfonso Alvarado dreamt of leaving his home in El Salvador and moving to the United States. Read about his journey, which led him to become a pastor and church planter at a Mennonite church in “Beyond that ocean is North America.” In English: https://www.mennoniteusa.org/menoticias-alfonso-alvarado/ En español: https://www.mennoniteusa.org/menoticias/posts/alfonso-alvarado/.
WDC Sprouts announcement guidelines: Announcements pertain to Western District Conference (WDC) ministries and churches, institutions with which WDC has formal relationships, and Mennonite Church USA agencies and ministries.