WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
September 10, 2019
A weekly communication for WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
*Pastoral news & transitions
Alexanderwohl Mennonite Church, Goessel, KS – Associate Pastor
Faith Mennonite Church, Newton, KS – Pastor
Southern Hills Mennonite Church, Topeka, KS – Pastoral Team
Turpin Mennonite Church, Turpin, OK – Pastor
News and Transitions
Scott Litwiller will become part of the pastoral team at Lorraine Avenue Mennonite Church, Wichita, KS, beginning September 16.
Christina Manero will become part of the pastoral team at Lorraine Avenue Mennonite Church, Wichita, KS, beginning September 26.
Joel and Kay Schroeder have announced their resignation from pastoral roles at First Mennonite Church, Newton, KS, effective November 24. Kay will become Pastor of Congregational Life at Hesston (KS) Mennonite Church in December.
Patty Shelly will retire as Professor of Bible and Religion at Bethel College, North Newton, KS, effective at the end of this academic year.
Susan Wheeler ended as Associate Pastor for Pastoral Care at Bethel College Mennonite Church, North Newton, KS on June 30.
Congratulations to Beth (WDC Business Manager) and Caleb (Lead Pastor, Alexanderwohl Mennonite Church, Goessel, KS) Yoder on the birth of Josiah Benjamin on August 12.
- Policies and Practice: If your congregation is updating your child, youth, and adult safety (“Safe Sanctuaries”) policy and/or wants an updated safety training or Circle of Grace orientation, contact WDC Associate Conference Minister Kathy Neufeld Dunn (firstname.lastname@example.org 316-283-6300). She keeps current on sexual abuse prevention and response and is happy to help congregations do so, too, on paper or in-person.
- You can still sign up for adaptive leadership training at Kansas Leadership Center, Wichita, KS, in 2019! KLC’s October 2-4 session of Your Leadership Edgeis the only YLE session in 2019 that still has openings, with a registration due date of September 17. WDC members may apply for free registration through WDC’s 2019 Leadership Transformation Grant, using the attached WDC application form. For more information on KLC, see https://kansasleadershipcenter.org.
- Grace Hill Mennonite Church (10218 SE 12th St, Whitewater, KS) invites you to our 4th Annual Hog Roast on Sunday, September 22. Food served from 5-7 pm, entertainment until 8 pm. Come for food, yard games, fellowship and music by the Flannel Folks! Freewill donation accepted for area food banks.
- Found: A stack of MCC coloring postcards and Crayola twistables were left at Camp Mennoscah this past weekend after Women & Girls Retreat. They can be claimed at the WDC offices in North Newton or email@example.com.
Camp Mennoscah announcements
- Thank you to the many women and girls who attended the Women and Girls Retreat at Camp Mennoscah! There were many generous hands helping with dishes and cleaning. We appreciate the wonderful help–and the chance to host such an amazing inter-generational group! See you next year!
- Get Ready to Work & Play! Camp Mennoscah has a Work & Play Day on Saturday, September 14, from 8:30am to 2pm. We’ll jump full-steam into tasks, pause for a simple lunch, and then finish up needed details after lunch. Wear your grimy work clothes! Depending on weather, we’ll be painting the pool. Tasks for all skill levels and ages are available. Register at campmennoscah.orgor call 620-297-3290! This helps us be prepared for you!
- Come Celebrate Another Great Year at Camp Mennoscah! Mark your calendars for Sunday, September 22, for Camp Mennoscah’s Annual Meeting! All are welcome to attend. Self-guided camp activities available beginning at 2 pm, with a BBQ chicken supper beginning at 5:30. After supper, staff will share about the past year, and campers will reflect on their camp experiences. Also, enter your name to win one of several Camp Mennoscah prizes! Please register online at campmennoscah.orgto let us know you’re coming!
- Scrapbook and Crafts Retreats at Camp Mennoscah happening soon! The Fall Retreats are November 1-3 and November 15-17. Register online at campmennoscah.organd bring a friend!
Mennonite church announcements
- The Hispanic Ministries IBA program provides biblical and theological training for leaders of the Hispanic churches in the US and Marco Güete, director of the program is hiking El Camino de Santiago to raise funds to continue to train these needed leaders. See attached flyer.
- The Mennonite Heritage and Agriculture Museum, Goessel, KS, is sponsoring the Fall 2019 Heritage Lecture on Saturday, October 5 at 9:30 am at Alexanderwohl Mennonite Church, Goessel, KS. The topic is: Seagoing Cowboys and Tractors to Poland. Hear their stories of bringing cattle and tractors to a starving and war-torn Europe ’45-’47. This event is free and open to the public. Donations to the museum are welcome.
- The Mennonite, Inc., invites your original submissions for our November 2019 print magazine issue and corresponding online content focusing on Journeys with church. Submissions are due to Editor@TheMennonite.org no later than October 1. More info at: https://themennonite.org/november-2019-call-submissions-journeys-church/.
- The Board of Directors of Anabaptist Mennonite Biblical Seminary has announced the appointment of David W. Boshart as the next president of the seminary, beginning January 1, 2020. For more information see https://www.ambs.edu/about/president-search
WDC Sprouts announcement guidelines: Announcements pertain to Western District Conference (WDC) ministries and churches, institutions with which WDC has formal relationships, and Mennonite Church USA agencies and ministries.
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620