WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
October 6, 2015
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
by Jeanette Roberts, Interim Resource Librarian
Churches are beginning to use the new SHINE Sunday school curriculum, so it’s a good time to think about the people involved with such a large faith formation project and thank them for their inspiration and work.
It also brings to mind a new resource in the WDC Resource Library: ”Miz Regier, Wuz You Crying’? and Other Stories: a collection of “Rosella Wiens Regier Stories” compiled by Harold Regier, Rosella’s husband. In addition to her many other roles, Rosella acted as executive director for the development of new Sunday school curriculum for the conference. The Jubilee curriculum was developed under her tutelage.
Rosella has always been an avid writer and has filled many journals. This book is a selection of Rosella’s writings and journaling through the different seasons of her life. It includes heartwarming stories from her school teaching days, light-hearted reflections about aging, treasured memories of family members, special experiences as a pastor’s wife, insights about faith and much more.
Those who know Rosella, teachers, pastors and their wives, grandparents, people of faith and many more will find much to enjoy and reflect upon in this compilation of experiences in Rosella’s life. Harold and Rosella Regier reside in North Newton, Kansas.
For more books of interest, search at Conference Resource Library or http://mennowdc.booksys.net/. Contact us at email@example.com /316-283-6300.
- Western District Conference announces openings and seeks applicants for the positions listed below. Full job descriptions are at mennowdc.org. Send cover letter and application materials to Heidi Regier Kreider, Conference Minister, PO Box 306, North Newton, KS 67117, or firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until positions are filled.
- Full-time Associate Conference Minister based in Texas, to direct church-planting partnerships and support pastors and congregations in relevance to cultural/ethnic context. Ministerial credential and experience, cross-cultural and urban ministry competency and Spanish proficiency required.
- 3/4 time Associate Conference Minister based in Kansas, to resource congregations in a variety of ministry areas and assist in supporting pastors and congregations in relevance to cultural/ethnic context. Ministerial credential and experience required.
- 1/4 time Resource Library Directorto manage and promote WDC library. Library science degree or experience required.
- Do you like food with your meetings? Yes? Then please register by October 16 to receive the meal plan while you are at the WDC Assembly on October 30-31. Go to mennowdc.org/annual-assembly/ and get ready for a great time of discerning, learning and worship.
- Pastor’s Afternoon Apart – October 30, 1-4:30 pm at Faith Mennonite Church. “In Chains of Peace: Ephesians and the Unity of the Church” is the topic, with presentations by Tom Yoder Neufeld and Chuck Neufeld. Register by October 16 at: mennowdc.org/pastors-afternoon-apart-october-30-2015/.
- Looking for a few good (or not so good) scrapbookers! Camp Mennoscah’s Scrapbooking Retreats on Oct. 30-Nov. 1 and Nov. 6-8 have space for beginner scrappers, expert scrappers, and all in-betweeners. It’s a time for chatting, snacking, and organizing all those memories. You can register online at www.campmennoscah.org or call 620-297-3290. We’ll see you soon!
- Hey, Pastors and Ministry Folks! Need a time away? Camp Mennoscah offers space for spiritual retreats for pastors and those in ministry. Retreats must be scheduled with camp staff in advance and are available as the camp schedule allows. No charge for one overnight, donations welcome. Contact us at email@example.com or 620-297-3290 for details.
Mennonite Church Announcements
- Preaching Workshop: Are you looking for preaching tips and new ideas for sermon writing? AMBS-Kansas Center will be hosting a Preaching Seminar led by Allan Rudy-Froese entitled “Preaching as Testimony.” It will be held November 13-14, 2015 and February 26, 2016 on the Bethel College Campus in North Newton, KS. This three-day workshop is open to all who are interested in practical preaching tips and learning more about the power of testimony in preaching. Registration and more information are available at: https://www.ambs.edu/churchleadershipcenter/Preaching-Seminar.cfm. Early Registration deadline is October 23 (prices increase $50 on Oct. 24).
- The annual Instituto Bíblico Anabautista-IBA BENEFIT dinner will take place Friday, October 16 at 6:30 pm in the First Mennonite Church of Newton fellowship hall. A smothered pork burrito dinner will be prepared and served by Chef Carlos Lujano. A short program will follow featuring a hymn by IBA student Javier Rodriquez, a dance performed by the children of Iglesia Mennonita Casa Betania, and video presentation by Ervin Stutzman. Dinner is by donation. This is a great opportunity for a Sunday School, Small Group or individuals to come and hear how this program is equipping Hispanic leaders in Mennonite Church USA. IBA is a program of Mennonite Education Agency’s Hispanic Pastoral and Leadership Education Program. For any inquires contact Violeta Ajquejay at: VioletaA@MennoniteEducation.org or call 316-281-4342
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620