WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
October 11, 2016
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
*News and Transitions
Alexanderwohl Mennonite Church, Goessel, KS – Pastor
Faith Mennonite Church, Newton, KS – Associate Pastor
First Mennonite Church, Halstead, KS – Pastor
Hoffnungsau Mennonite Church, Inman, KS – Pastor
Iglesia Menonita Aposento Alto, Wichita, KS (Church Planter-Pastor)
Shalom Mennonite Church, Newton, KS – Associate Pastor
News and Transitions
- Lawrence (Pastor, Koinonia Mennonite Church, Clinton, OK) and Betty Hart were recognized for their work with Mennonite Indian Leaders Council (GC), Native Mennonite Ministries of Mennonite Church USA and Mennonite Central Committee at a special dinner on October 8.
- Congratulations to David and Heidi Regier Kreider’s (WDC Conference Minister) family upon the marriage of their son, Ben, to Alli Rudeen on October 8.
- Theodore Wendell Rempel died on September 10 in Newton, Kansas. He formerly pastored at First Mennonite Church in Hutchinson and Eden Mennonite Church, Moundridge. He was also the Dean of Students at Bethel College for 6 years.
- Congratulations to Phil (Pastor, Tabor Mennonite Church, Newton, KS) and Mary Schmidt upon the birth of their second son, Noah Gabriel on September 17.
You are invited to attend a presentation and workshop with Aziza Hasan, founder of NewGround, a Muslim-Jewish Partnership for Change. Join us at Lorraine Avenue Mennonite Church, 655 South Lorraine, Wichita, KS, for our Peace Weekend presentation on Saturday, October 15. The presentation is at 2:30 with a faspa at 4:00. (Faspa is Low German for a small afternoon meal.) RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mennonite Church Announcements
- KIPCOR is again offering its popular “Managing Differences within Faith Communities” course January 25-26, 2017. The polarization and division in our world often seeps into our congregations, but we don’t have to remain stuck in disagreement. This two-day course will offer skills and insights to help transform conflict into spiritual and community renewal. Focus areas include: structured dialogue in times of high anxiety, decision-making principles for collaboration, conflict levels and dynamics in congregations, and discernment processes. After 16 years, participants still see relevance in the training: “The depth of knowledge and experience gained from this course will transform your life” (2014 participant); “This course is not just a lecture series. It is interactive and engaging” (2015 participant). Consider coming as a team from your congregation. Registration and details available online: http://kipcor.org/Registration/Faith-Communities-2017/
- Registration for “Beyond Buried Treasure: Turning Hidden Resources into Assets” is open as of October 17. This second joint MHS Mennonite Health Assembly and Mennonite Education Agency Education Leaders Gathering takes place March 9-12 in Jacksonville, FL. For more information or to register, visit: mhaelgconference.wordpress.com.
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620