WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
May 5, 2015
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
- Join us for a Pastors’ Lunch Table Talk on the Rainbow Resolution–Thursday, May 21, 12:00-1:30 at the Western District Office conference room. We’ll dialogue around the premises of the Rainbow Resolution and test how well they sustain their conclusion. Do they add up? Could they be made stronger? Brad Roth, pastor of the West Zion Mennonite Church in Moundridge, will spark the conversation with some friendly challenges to the Resolution. Bring your own lunch–water provided. To connect via the internet, notify Nancy Funk at email@example.com or 316-283-6300.
- Are you interested in Anabaptist Faith formation? Are you a Sunday school teacher? A pastor? A youth worker? A small group leader? A parent or grandparent? All are welcome at the Anabaptist Faith Formation Launch: Learn, Grow, Serve, Repeat. This will be held June 12-13 on the Bethel College campus in North Newton, KS. Cost is only $100 per congregation (unlimited participants) or $20 per person. Register at https://mennowdc.org/anabaptist-faith-formation-launch/
- All aboard for summer fun at the WDC Resource Library! Story time is a fun, free activity and a wonderful way for parents/grandparents to bond with children while having delightful book adventures. Enroll your children ages 3-8 for story time now – call/email 316-283-6300; firstname.lastname@example.org. Dates/times: Wednesdays, June 17-24, July 8-29 at 9:30 am.
- Keep up with what’s going on – LIKE “Western District Conference” on Facebook!
- Camp Mennoscah is searching for two more head cooks and two more camp nurses for this summer. These positions are paid positions or receive a camper discount. Head cooks are needed for July 5-9 (PreJunior II) and June 29-July 2 (Range Youth/rental group). A camp nurse is needed for the weeks of June 14-18 (PreJunior I) and June 21-27 (Junior I). These are fun times and a great way to be part of our camping ministry! Contact us at 620-297-3290 or email@example.com.
- Family Camp at Camp Mennoscah! It’s going to be a blast! Alan Stucky and Katie Best will be our leaders, and we’re going to be prepared for almost anything. July 25-26 is a time for you and your family of all ages to spend time together–playing in the river, swimming, resting, and relaxing plus a lot more! More information coming soon.
- Got a friend new to Camp Mennoscah? Wonderful! Camp Mennoscah offers a free camp tee shirt to both the returning camper and the first-time camper friend through the Bring a Friend program. So grab a new friend and bring them to camp! We love new friends, we love long-time friends, and the camp tee shirts are absolutely stunning! Details on the BAF program in the camp catalog or call 620-297-3290.
- Iglesia Menonita Casa Betania, Newton, KS, invites everyone to their Mother’s Day Service at noon on May 10, followed by lunch. Meet at the 4-H Building in Newton Athletic Park.
Mennonite Church Announcements
1. Are you interested in faith formation opportunities? AMBS-Kansas Center will host an “Adult Bible School” focusing on the Sermon on the Mount during the month of June. Members and attendees of WDC congregations can participate for only $50 per person (normally continuing education opportunities like this cost $200 or more). Registration is due by May 11 for this low price. Registration is available at https://www.ambs.edu/academics/Sermon-on-the-Mount-course.cfm
- You are invited to a lunch to welcome Rosa and Alejandra from Proyecto MAMA in Honduras, at the MCC Central States Office, North Newton on Tuesday, May 12, noon – 1 pm. Proyecto MAMA is a MCC-supported program of the Honduran Evangelical Mennonite Church that works with 10 preschools, 8 basic education centers and 3 tutoring programs in 12 communities near San Pedro Sula. Join us as we learn more about their work. A free-will donation will be accepted to help cover the cost of food. Please RSVP to Anna Yoder, firstname.lastname@example.org or 316.283.2720 by Thursday May 7th if you are planning on attending. We look forward to seeing you!
- “Called to share: my gifts, our gifts.” Meet other young people from around the world at Mennonite World Conference’s Global Youth Summit, July 17-19, at Messiah College in Mechanicsburg, PA. Young adults (age 18 and older) are invited to listen to God and to one another, to share information and experiences, and to have fun with new friends from around the world. More info at mwc-cmm.org/pa2015.
- How does your faith integrate with your work in the healthcare field? Mennonite Healthcare Fellowship (MHF) invites all healthcare workers, past, present, and future, and from medical, mental health, and chaplaincy professions, to come, along with their families, to its Annual Gathering 2015, July 19-21, in Harrisburg, PA. Come to learn, fellowship, worship, network, and be encouraged in your Christian faith! Annual Gathering is a family-friendly event with a children’s program for ages 0-18. Grants are available for students, volunteers, and those outside the U.S. and Canada. For more information and registration, go to www.mennohealth/gathering, email email@example.com, or call toll-free to 1-888-406-3643.
- Bethel College Women’s Association Annual Meeting – May 21, 7 pm at Kauffman Museum, 2801 N Main, North Newton, KS. Come and view the “Sorting Out Race: Examining Racial Identity and Stereotypes in Thrift Store Donations” exhibit. The evening will include a presentation by museum director, Annette LeZotte and a brief summary of the past years activities of BCWA. The public is invited. Refreshments served, donations welcome.
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620