WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
May 15, 2018
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
*News and Transitions
First Mennonite Church, Hillsboro, KS (Pastor)
News and Transitions
Glen Guyton, member of San Antonio (TX) Mennonite Church, began as Mennonite Church USA Executive Director on May 1. He will be installed on August 18 at College Mennonite Church in Goshen, IN. All are invited to attend.
Congratulations to credentialed WDC’ers Karen Mascho and Kay Schroeder upon their graduation from Anabaptist Mennonite Biblical Seminary. Karen is a member at Joy Mennonite Church in Oklahoma City, OK and works with Kairos Outside Ministry; Kay is Pastor of Worship & Visitation at First Mennonite Church in Newton, KS.
- Save the date – the 2018 WDC Annual Assembly will be held July 27-28 in South Central Kansas. More details and registration information will be emailed to pastors and churches and will be posted at: https://mennowdc.org/annual-assembly/#2018annualAssembly during the last week of May.
- (Greater Newton-area churches: Please print and post the attached flier for Summer Story Hour. You are also invited to forward this announcement and poster to your families with young children.) Join us for Summer Story Hour at the Conference Resource Library! This summer, ages 3-8 will have fun with the theme of Creepy Crawlies: Bugs and More! Led by Marjie Warkentine, we’ll meet at the library in North Newton on Mondays June 4-July 9 at 10:00am. Register by May 31 at https://goo.gl/forms/wlzeX9FZbFoNYBW32or by calling the library at (316) 283-6300.
- Language Interpretation Ministry Team: WDC seeks to establish a ministry team of persons located in different areas of the conference, who can provide language interpretation for WDC meetings and events in order to enhance participation by individuals who speak different languages. Assessment, orientation and training will be provided for Team members, as well as some financial compensation through grant funds WDC has received. Please contact WDC at firstname.lastname@example.org 316-283-6300 if you have skills in a second language and are interested in applying or learning more about this ministry opportunity!
- The next Leadership Lunch will be on May 24 from 12-1:30 pm at the WDC office. The topic is: “Test multiple interpretations, points-of-view (Diagnose Situation)”. All are welcome to attend this conversation on Kansas Leadership Center concepts, even if you haven’t attended a KLC training. Bring your own lunch. (To join this meting by Zoom video conference: Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/j/954211554, Or iPhone one-tap: US: +14086380986, 954211554# or +16465588665, 954211554# Or Telephone: +1 408 638 0986 or +1 646 558 8665 or +1 646 876 9923 or +1 669 900 6833 or +1 408 638 0968, Meeting ID: 954 211 554
Camp Mennoscah announcements
- Construction of the Whale playground at Camp Mennoscah begins on May 18! Volunteers are needed to make this possible. If you’d like to be a part of the action, contact us at email@example.com 620-297-3290. Work days are May 18-19, May 25-26, June 1-2, and during the week of June 3. Let us know which days you can be there, and we’ll get back to you with more details. We’re really excited to get this project started and hope you are, too!
2. New kitchen needs friends! Camp Mennoscah’s new kitchen needs some friends (i.e., kitchen staff) for the weeks of June 24-30 and July 15-21. The new space is wonderfully shiny and ready for adventures. Parents can receive a camper discount up to full camp fees. You only need to be able to follow instructions and enjoy being part of a camp community. Contact us at 620-297-3290 or firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a “play date” with the new kitchen!
3. Whoa, horses! We’re less than a month away from our summer youth camps and gobs of fun at Camp Mennoscah. Our summer theme is Beyond Belief: The Universe of God and we’ll be seeking God in creation, community, and in our own hearts. Friends are welcome! Register online at campmennoscah.org. Scholarships are available.
WDC Sprouts announcement guidelines: Announcements pertain to Western District Conference (WDC) ministries and churches, institutions with which WDC has formal relationships, and Mennonite Church USA agencies and ministries.
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620