WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
May 11, 2021
A weekly communication for WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
We invite your continuing support for WDC! Contributions may be made HERE.
IN THIS ISSUE:
*WDC Ministerial and Credential Announcements
First Mennonite Church, Beatrice NE – Pastor
First Mennonite Church, Newton KS – Pastoral Team
Hoffnungsau Mennonite Church, Inman KS – Pastor
Turpin Mennonite Church, Turpin OK – Pastor
- The WDC Resource Library is now open to the public – Library capacity will be limited to one household in the library at a time. The self-checkout station & library catalog computer will remain off during this phase of reopening. Please see library staff or WDC staff for assistance in looking up items (or browse the catalog on your smartphone). Please plan to make your visit to the library quick and not linger (couches/chairs will be turned around for the time being). Please stop at the WDC front lobby to check whether there is anyone in the library. Questions? Contact the library at firstname.lastname@example.org As in the rest of the WDC offices, masks are required while you are in the library. The library continues to offer service to any individual or congregation in WDC via the United States Postal Service–check out the online catalog here.
Camp Mennoscah announcements
- Help set up camp! Volunteers are needed to help set up the HUGE tents used for this summer’s youth camps at Camp Mennoscah. Setup will happen May 28 and 29. Sign up by May 15 by contacting 620-297-3290 or email@example.com.
- Camp Mennoscah is looking for additional staffto help with extra tasks necessary this summer. The person should be at least 18 years old and will be paid the summer staff stipend. A multiple-week/full summer commitment is preferred, but those with partial summer availability are invited to apply. Complete the Summer Staff application at www.campmennoscah.org
- Nurses needed for summer youth camps! Camp Mennoscah needs nurses for June 17-19 (First Camp), June 20-26 (Junior I) and July 25-30 (Senior High). Nurses receive a stipend or a discount up to full camp fees for their camper (camper does not have to attend the same camp week). Contact us at 620-297-3290 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Congratulations! Deborah, Camp Mennoscah’s dedicated and generous office assistant of over 7 years, is retiring! She has reduced her hours and has graciously agreed to stay on for a time while the next assistant is found. Camp Mennoscah is seeking someone to share in office/support operations and guest services in a position with potential growth. Contact email@example.com for information.
Mennonite church announcements
- Attn: Churches – share this information with your congregational delegates to MennoCon21: This is notice of the proposed Mennonite Church USA bylaw changes to be voted on by delegates during the July 10 Virtual Delegate Assembly. The Executive Board of MC USA approved these changes on April 17, 2021 and they were posted on April 21. At the following link, you’ll find the Bylaw changes, the schedule for the Delegate Assembly, and some FAQs about the Assembly.
https://www.mennoniteusa.org/resource-portal/resource/delegate-resources-mennocon21/. Soon we will post some reports as well as information about nominees to be elected to various boards.
- Mennonite Mission Network, Elkhart, IN is seeking to fill two senior level positions:
Senior Executive of Ventures – Help create, foster, and deliver collaborative programs and services to our constituents and partners.
Senior Executive of Operations – Oversee administrative and operational functions of the organization.
Detailed position descriptions are here. Letters of interest and resumes should be emailed to StaffRecruitment@MennoniteMIssion.net.
- Have you been wondering whose faces you will see on stage at MennoCon21, Mennonite Church USA’s biennial convention on July 6-10? Read about who the worship speakers are and what topics they will be covering at this first hybrid (in-person and online) convention: https://www.mennoniteusa.org/news/mennocon21-worship/.4. For a variety of reasons, regularly attending Sunday morning church services is just not feasible for many people. Beryl Jantzi, in his blog, “Revisioning Church: Sabbath Diaspora and Christian Synagogues,” addresses this issue by offering several ways that churches can accommodate a non-traditional Sabbath. https://www.mennoniteusa.org/diaspora-synagogues5. Jonathan Brenneman reflects on how the militarized state of Israel causes children to suffer and how our taxpayer dollars aid in causing that suffering. Read his blog, “Investing in Justice Rather Than Militarism at Home and Abroad,” here: https://www.mennoniteusa.org/justice-over-militarism6. In response to increased violence and hate crimes against Asian American Pacific Islander people, the Mennonite Church USA Women in Leadership Steering Committee made a statement urging the church to work together to call out anti-Asian rhetoric and abuse. Read more here: https://www.mennoniteusa.org/menno-snapshots/aapi-statement/. Also, consider attending the Christian Faith & Anti-Asian Violence Workshopsponsored by Mennonite Church USA, Roots of Justice, and ReconciliAsian on Friday, May 28th, 2021 at 6:30 CDT. To register, click HERE, or go to http://reconciliasian.org/new-events.
WDC Sprouts announcement guidelines: Announcements pertain to Western District Conference (WDC) ministries and churches, institutions with which WDC has formal relationships, and Mennonite Church USA agencies and ministries.
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620