WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
March 8, 2016
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
- Next Steps with Kansas Leadership Center training: Pastors and congregation members who have taken training at Kansas Leadership Center (or anyone interested in learning more about it) are invited to a workshop this Saturday, March 12, 8:30 a.m. – 12:00 noon at Whitestone Mennonite Church, 629 Crescent Dr., Hesston, co-sponsored by Western District and South Central Conferences. The workshop is free, and brunch will be served. Thane Chastain from KLC along with SCC and WDC leaders will help facilitate this gathering to review leadership concepts, consider how they relate to Anabaptist-Mennonite principles, network with other church leaders, and brainstorm future ways to use what we are learning. Bring your questions, ideas and stories of how you are putting KLC training to use! If you plan to attend, RSVP now! to email@example.com or 316-283-6300.
- Thursday, March 17, 6 pm at Whitestone Mennonite Church, 629 Crescent Drive, Hesston, KS 67062 – “Making Connections: friendship, faith and women today” by Marlene Bogard. Marlene serves as executive director of Mennonite Women USA. She works from her home office in Salem, OR, and daily walks her cute little doggie up a hill, over a creek and beside tall trees. She regularly cuddles and reads to grandson and is very grateful. But she still misses Kansas and all the wonderful Mennonite women who live there. Music provided by Whitestone Women’s Quartet. Full meal provided by the Whitestone Youth Group (ham, potatoes and more – $10 payable at the door). Please make your reservation with name(s) due March 10 to: firstname.lastname@example.org or 620-327-8201 (Angie at Hesston College). Sponsored by Mennonite Women organizations of South Central and Western District Conferences. Offering – WDC project: The International Women’s Fund (IWF) scholarships help women around the world receive training and education for church leadership. Make check out to: Mennonite Women USA for WDC project.
- Camp Mennoscah is looking for temporary custodial/housekeeping help for 8-10 hours per week. Pay is $11/hour and hours are flexible. The position is open immediately. Please contact us at email@example.com or 620-297-3290.
- It’s almost spring, which means that it’s time to put the dam back in. Come to Camp Mennoscah on Saturday, March 12, around 2pm to put the dam it, chase stranded fish, and have a blast. You’re welcome to watch or to wear your river duds and help out. Be prepared for chilly water. (We will not put the dam in if there are storms in the area.)
- Retirees Relaxation Retreat–Camp Mennoscah invites all retirees and those interested to join us April 25-27, 2016. We’ll be spending time in fellowship and in creation hearing about Mennonites in Early Kansas. There will be singing and Bible study, coffee breaks for conversation, and Tuesday evening entertainment with Karen Andres and Marcene Entz. Contact us at 620-297-3290 or find the brochure online at www.campmennoscah.org. We can’t wait for another coffee break with you!
- Willing hands? Attentive ears? Then you are the person we want to see at Camp Mennoscah this summer. We’re enticing kitchen helpers with the offer of a free camp tee shirt and a parent discount of up to full camp fees. You only need to be able to follow directions and love the craziness that is camp. Many summer youth camps still need helpers. Contact us at 620-297-3290 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We love our kitchen staff!
- Know someone who would benefit from spending time at Camp Mennoscah? Scholarships are available. Contact Camp Mennoscah at 620-297-3290 or find the request form at www.campmennoscah.org under Camps. We want to share Camp Mennoscah with everyone!
- A fundraiser dinner to support scholarships for four Iglesia Menonita Casa Betania members participating in IBA ( Instituto Biblico Anabautista) classes will be Tuesday, March 22, 6:00 p.m. at BCMC. (Note change of date.) The donation goal is $3,200. Checks are payable to Mennonite Education Agency. In Memo line indicate ‘Casa Betania IBA Scholarship’. Dinner and program are sponsored by the BCMC Witness Commission as part of a project supported by a WDC “Loaves and Fishes” grant used to facilitate conversational Spanish classes. If you plan to attend, RSVP by March 14 to Margaret Goering at email@example.com or 316-283-5034. Please convey dietary needs.
Mennonite Church Announcements
- Prayer and Scripture Continuing Ed. Opportunity Available from AMBS-Kansas Center: AMBS-Kansas Center will host a short course on prayer and Scripture entitled “Being Formed by God through Scripture.” This course is open to anyone interested in learning how Scripture shapes our prayer practices. This course will be led by Kathryn Damiano, a spiritual director of 33 years and adjunct professor for AMBS-Great Plains. The course will meet on April 9, 16, 23, and 30 from 9:30-11:30am at Mennonite Church of the Servant in Wichita, KS (2401 N. Woodland, Wichita, KS 67204). If interested in taking this course for masters-level credit or if you have any questions, please contact Katherine Goerzen (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information. The cost of this continuing education course is only $50 for WDC participants who register before March 19. Registration is now available at: https://www.ambs.edu/academics/kansas-center-non-credit.cfm
- Are you a veteran, or do you know someone who is? We are seeking groups to try out the six-week Sunday School curriculum “Returning Veterans, Returning Hope: Seeking Peace Together” and share their feedback with us. The curriculum focuses on returning veterans and how the church can play a part in their healing journeys, drawing from biblical reflection, the latest understandings of trauma and moral injury and the experiences of veterans themselves. This is a project of the Peace and Justice Support Network, a partnership of Mennonite Church USA and Mennonite Mission Network. See pjsn.org/vets or contact Jason Boone, PJSN’s coordinating minister at email@example.com.
- The MCC Central States office has two open positions: Executive Director position is available starting in June. The Executive Director promotes and encourages support of MCC. The Director works hand-in-hand with a management team which includes the Program Director and the Director of Donor Relations to provide vision and leadership to MCC program in the region and to develop and maintain strong relationships between MCC and its constituents in the region. This full-time position requires considerable cooperation and coordination with MCC US and the other regional MCCs and considerable travel in the region and beyond. The full job description is available at http://mcc.org/get-involved/serve/openings/executive-director-cs. The Office Manager/Bookkeeper position is available starting in April at the MCC office in North Newton, Kansas. The Office Manager provides public relations, completes bill paying, bookkeeping and other financial tasks, assists volunteers and other departments as needed, maintains CS information in MCC databases and completes general office management tasks. The work schedule is 32 hours per week. The full job description is available at http://mcc.org/get-involved/serve/openings/office-managerbookkeeper-central-states. Please contact Heidi Huber at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on either of these positions.
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620