WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
March 10, 2015
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
*News and Transitions
Congregational Information Forms can be viewed at: www.mennowdc.org (Pastoral Openings)
WDC Conference Minister
Beatrice Mennonite Church, Beatrice, NE – Pastor
Shalom Mennonite Church, Newton, KS – Pastor
Buhler/Hoffnungsau/Inman (KS) Mennonite Churches – Joint Youth Pastor
Grace Hill Mennonite Church, Whitewater, KS – CIF will be posted soon
Eden Mennonite Church, Moundridge KS – CIF will be posted soon
News and Transitions
Iglesia Cristiana Menonita Mi Redentor in Dallas, Texas, has made the decision to leave Western District Conference and Mennonite Church USA.
Doug Krehbiel will end as Associate Pastor at Tabor Mennonite Church, Newton, KS on August 9.
Steve Schmidt will retire as Pastor at Alexanderwohl Mennonite Church, Goessel, KS on July 31.
Our sympathy to Randy Smith, Interim Pastor at Grace Hill Mennonite Church, Whitewater, KS, upon the death of his father William Smith in Murrels Inlet, South Carolina, on February 25.
Eugene Thieszen will be installed as Pastor at Hanston (KS) Mennonite Church on March 15.
- NOTE THAT THE LOCATION OF THIS MEETING HAS CHANGED!
Ervin Stutzman, Executive Director of Mennonite Church USA, invites Western District Conference delegates to Kansas City 2015 to a meeting at First Mennonite Church, Newton (not Faith Mennonite Church, as was originally announced), on March 27 at 7 pm. The purpose of the 90-minute meeting will include:
- briefly sharing the vision for the future of Mennonite Church USA, focusing on Jesus as the center of our faith, community as the center of our lives, and reconciliation as the center of our work
- providing a guide that outlines the delegates’ overall responsibilities at the assembly
- explaining how the results from the online delegate survey shaped the Executive Board’s decisions about the agenda
- distributing an agenda for the delegate sessions, and explaining the specific decisions which delegates will be invited to make
- providing handouts which delegates can use in congregational study groups
- engaging in a time of feedback and discussion
Interested pastors and members who are not serving as delegates, but would appreciate a first-hand briefing, are welcome as well. If you would like to connect via the internet for this meeting, notify Nancy Funk at email@example.com or 316-283-6300.
- The Western District Reference Councilwill meet on Saturday, April 11, at Hope Mennonite Church, 868 N. Maize Rd.,Wichita, KS, 9:00 am – 2:00 pm. This gathering will be an opportunity to hear the latest developments from Mennonite Church USA and continue our ongoing discernment regarding the resolution from Rainbow Mennonite Church that will come before our Western District delegate assembly in October. The resolution deals with pastors performing same-sex unions. This Reference Council is open to members and participants of WDC congregations in addition to WDC commissions and committees and pastors. Those who will be serving as delegates to either the Mennonite Church USA Convention in July or the WDC Assembly in October are especially encouraged to attend. Register online by April 3 at: https://mennowdc.org/annual-assembly/ (or call 316-283-6300).
- The WDC Basketball Tournament will be held March 19-21 at Bethel College in North Newton, KS. Nine teams have registered to play. The schedule is posted at: https://mennowdc.org/wdc-basketball-tournament/
- There will be a free screening of “Which Way Home“, an Academy Award nominated documentary focusing on the issue of immigration and the journey’s children take, at Mennonite Church of the Servant, (2401 North Woodland, Wichita, KS) on Friday, March 13 at 7 pm.
- On Sunday, Mar. 22, at 4:00 p.m. Bethel College Mennonite Church will host organist Shirley Sprunger King for “Looking Toward Easter,” a program of Lenten and Easter music for the organ. A freewill offering will be received for BCMC’s Living Stones Organ Renovation Fund, and a reception will follow. Members of the community are invited! Prior to her retirement in 2013, Shirley Sprunger King was Dean of Academic Advising and College Organist at Dickinson College (Carlisle, PA) and organist at First Presbyterian Church in Carlisle. Previously she was Professor of Music at Bethel College and organist at BCMC. BCMC is located at 2600 College Ave., North Newton. For more information, see bethelcollegemennonitechurch.org or call 316-283-3667.
- Dam Going In–With balmy weather predicted for this weekend, this is a last minute notice for all you spectators and helpers for putting the dam in at Camp Mennoscah. We’re guessing that we’ll start putting the dam in at approx. 2pm-ish on Sunday, March 15. Those wishing to help should wear/bring river clothes. Spectators are welcome to wear formal, evening attire (or whatever everyday, camp-like outfit you choose). Questions can be directed to Camp Mennoscah at firstname.lastname@example.org or 620-297-3290.
- Woo-hoo! It is our sincere and absolute hope that by the time you read this that Camp Mennoscah’s online registration will be running full-speed ahead (or at least jogging with purpose). Go to www.campmennoscah.org and click on the Online Registration button on the right side. We are waiting only for those last website links to be connected. Check it out, call us with your problems (620-297-3290), and register for summer youth camps and any of our retreats! This is so exciting!
- Three Days of Ukraine and Relaxation–Camp Mennoscah’s Retirees Relaxation Retreat for retirees of all ages and busy-ness will take place April 27-29. Activities include sessions on a variety of Ukrainian issues, Bible Studies, music, and coffee breaks. This is a time to relax and fellowship with others. Brochures can be found online at www.campmennoscah.org or by calling 620-297-3290. Share a cup of coffee and conversation with us!
- It is, we fear, that time of year when Olivia begins to pull out the phone book and start calling random people to be kitchen volunteers. Camp Mennoscah is seeking kitchen helpers for almost all of their summer youth camps (June 1-Aug.1). Kitchen helpers do not need a great wealth of skills other than the ability to follow directions and to enjoy the company of fun-loving folks of all ages. Parents can receive a camper discount of up to full camp fees. Questions can be directed to Olivia at 620-297-3290 or email@example.com
Mennonite Church Announcements
1. Service doesn’t have to wait! Join Youth Venture this summer to serve and learn with Mennonite youth from Lithuania, Ecuador, Japan, and France. Apply by April 1 for international locations. Ages 16-22 can apply at MennoniteMission.net/Serve.
- Healthcare workers – past, present, and future: Don’t miss this event immediately prior to Mennonite World Conference Global Assembly! Bring the whole family to the Mennonite Healthcare Fellowship (MHF) Annual Gathering, July 19-21, in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. The theme is “Walking Together for Healthy Communities.” Plenary presenters include Ted & Company, Shane Claiborne, and Dr. Ann Thyle from India. Grants are available for students, volunteers, and those from outside the U.S. and Canada. Children and youth program for ages 0-18 provided. For more information and registration, go to www.mennohealth/gathering, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call toll-free at 1-888-406-3643.
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620