WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
June 7, 2016
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
- Come listen to the insights and stories of featured speaker, Marty Troyer, Houston, TX pastor, on Friday evening, July 29 at the Western District Conference Annual Assembly, Bethel College, North Newton, KS. Scripture focus: Matthew 28.16-20. For more information, go to mennowdc.org/annual-assembly/#2016annualAssembly.
- Attn Pastors – Pastors’ Afternoon Apart, Holy and Whole: Faithful Response to Sexual Abuse in the Congregations, is on July 29 from 12-5 pm, immediately preceding the WDC Annual Assembly. You’ll find information and online registration at: https://mennowdc.org/pastors-afternoon-apart-july-29-2016/
- Western District Women in Mission is offering 10 registration scholarships for MW USA’s PREP event in Colorado August 12-13. To receive a WDWM scholarship OR for carpooling info contact Western District Women in Mission at WesternDistrictWomen@gmail.comor Jennie at 316-708-0309.
- All women are invited to Western District Women in Mission’s annual lunch meeting at WDC’s Annual Assembly. Come hear about WDWM and some exciting upcoming opportunities, connect with other women, and build relationships. Register by July 15 by contacting Nancy at firstname.lastname@example.org 316-283-6300. Cost for the lunch (for those not attending assembly) is $15.
- It’s hard to miss that summer youth camps have started at Camp Mennoscah! The camp grounds are teeming with activity and we hear singing and laughter throughout the day. We have room for more and we’d love to share camp with your favorite young person. The theme for the summer is Fearless Faith: Courage in Community. We’re looking at how God works through community to bless the world. Register online at www.campmennoscah.org or call us at 620-297-3290. It’s a great start to a great summer!
- Grab your sleeping bags (and maybe your bug spray) and spread the word! The Young Adult Weekend at Camp Mennoscah is July 29-31. It’s a time for reconnecting with your camp “roots” or discovering what camp is about with fun and amazing folks. Planned events include burning marshmallows, singing off-key, worshiping with your whole heart, laughing about nothing, and gobs of other stuff. Register online at www.campmennoscah.org!
- Camp Mennoscah’s Annual Camp Sing is August 7 at 6:30pm at Grace Hill Mennonite Church. The 2016 summer staff will lead hymns and popular camp songs. Then when we’re done with our warbling, we’ll chomp on some kettle-made popcorn and drink generic soda pop. How can you beat that?
8. The Mental Health Spiritual Retreat is Sept. 4-5 at Camp Mennoscah. Our theme this year is Courage in Community. Activities planned include worship, a hayrack ride, swimming, crafts, and sessions on community. Contact Camp Mennoscah for a registration form or register online at www.campmennoscah.org.
- Bethel College Mennonite Church, North Newton, KS, is seeking to fill the staff position of Music Coordinator. The term for this part-time position (4 hours/week) runs from September 1 – August 31, and renews annually. For more information, contact: 316-283-3667 or email@example.com.
Mennonite Church Announcements
Mennonite Central Committee and WillowSpring Downs are hosting two events this weekend: June 11, 1-5 pm Fun on the Farm – In the tradition of “Day on the Farm”, but different, “Fun on the Farm” features interaction with animals, relays, snacks, games, nature scavenger hunt, obstacle course, stick horse race, rides, and crafts for children of all ages. Come at 1 pm for all the fun, and you just might learn a little bit about MCC’s work around the world in the process! Admission free. In case of rain, call 620-386-0709 or 620-367-8432 for updates. June 12, 5-8 pm Song on the Lawn– This year’s mini-music festival features the Book of JEBB, Cottonwood River Band, Newton Men’s Quartet, Senior Jammers, and Elaine Unruh/Emil Schmidt and Friends. Meal catered by Keith Banman. Bring your lawn chairs, table service, friends and family. Admission is free, donations accepted for MCC. In case of rain, event will be at Goessel Elementary School. Call 620-386-0709 or 620-367-8432 for updates.
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620