WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
June 30, 2015
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
June 30-July 5 – Mennonite Church USA Convention, Kansas City, MO
July 3 – WDC Office closed for Independence Day
August 17 – Heidi Regier Kreider begins as WDC Conference Minister
October 30-31 – WDC Annual Assembly, Bethel College, North Newton, KS
The July issue of Parish Paper, entitled “Congregational Strength is Always Plural” can now be viewed at: https://mennowdc.org/conference-life/parish-paper/.
1. Today is Clarence Rempel’s last day as the WDC Conference Minister. Many colleagues and friends attended his retirement reception on Sunday to wish him well! Until Heidi Regier Kreider, Conference Minister Elect, begins on August 17, members of the Ministerial Leadership Commission will be available to attend to emergency pastor/congregational matters through contacting Nancy Funk (316-283-6300; email@example.com). Staff will be accountable to Richard Gehring, Western District Conference Moderator. Clarence will be available as a consultant for Search Committees and Pastoral Candidates now in process until August 17.
2. There will be no WDC prayer requests for July and August.
3. The Mennonite Church USA Convention begins today in Kansas City! To keep up with key happenings there, access a Daily Newssheet at: http://convention.mennoniteusa.org/get-connected/daily-newsheet/.
4. A great food option awaits those coming to Kansas City for the Mennonite convention June 30-July 5. Rainbow Mennonite is partnering with a neighborhood catering business to park a food truck across the street from the convention site (along Broadway on Grace and Holy Trinity parking lot). A portion of the proceeds will support our six-week Freedom School summer literacy program. Look for the big, red truck on Tuesday for supper (4:30-7:00 pm), and Wednesday and Thursday for lunch (11:30 am-1:30 pm). The menu will include sandwiches, tacos, salads, sides, sweets, and snacks. Bags of zweibach will also be available. Good food for a good cause!
5. Camp Sing! Camp Mennoscah campers and friends will be joining together in song on August 9 at 6pm at Grace Hill Mennonite Church. We’ll be singing those good old camp songs and having some good old generic pop and popcorn. Coming soon: Pre-order your Camp Sing tee shirt!
6. All-Ages Family Camp at Camp Mennoscah, July 25-26! It’s going to be a riotously great time with Alan and Katie–swimming, river play, campfire, worship, and all sorts of time to make new friends. This is for folks of all ages and family groupings. Brochures are available online at www.campmennoscah.org or by calling 620-297-3290. Hooray for families of all sizes and shapes!
7. Power Up with the Spirit! Camp Mennoscah still has room for campers during these remaining weeks of camp. There is a camp for each age group–First Camp, PreJunior, Junior, Junior High, and Senior High. Limited space at Senior High Camp. Register online or call 620-297-3290.
Mennonite Church Announcements
1. Mennonite World Conference’s Assembly is just around the corner (July 21-26 in Harrisburg, PA)! Even if it’s too late for you to take the whole week off, consider coming for a day or two or even an evening! Party-time registration is now open. Find out more at mwc-cmm.org/pa2015.
2. A farewell tribute will be held for Anthony Brown and his contribution to the Hesston area community the past 15 years. The program will feature songs from Tony, along with homemade ice cream and refreshments. Contributions will be accepted for the Peacing It Together Foundation, and Tony’s efforts to share the message of peace and social justice around the world. Water’s Edge Restaurant, Hesston, 7 p.m., Wednesday, July 8th.
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620