WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
July 3, 2018
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
by Jennie Wintermote, Conference Resource Library Director
For many, the summer is a time of different rhythms. For teachers and students, summer brings a break from regular academic work. For camp staff the warmest months are the busiest months. For churches there might be a break in Sunday school or a pastor on sabbatical. For many, there is an awareness of the lengthening of days, or an opportunity to travel or to connect with extended family.
For me, in the Conference Resource Library, the summer brings more children through the library door. Our summer Story Hour is well attended and the library comes alive with chatter, song and story. This summer these little ones are learning about the creepy crawlies in God’s creation. They are learning to look for beauty in these little and sometimes “icky” bugs and other critters that are a part of God’s good creation.
Every week they hear several stories, and this week I had to think, one of the amazing things about reading is the way we can hear new ideas or learn to tell our story in a very non-threatening way. The kids fall in love with spiders or catepillars (or other critters they might not have liked before) when they hear a story about them. When we read, we can also hear stories of faithfulness in the midst of sorrow, we can hear stories celebrating love, we can hear stories of those fighting for justice–all stories that can help us engage God and help bring God’s shalom to our broken world.
Whether your summer days are full of new rhythms or marching along as they do the rest of the year, consider pausing and creating space to look for God’s goodness around you. And if you’re looking for a good book to help continue your search, let me know–I’d love to help.
- Western District Annual Assembly features a freeconcert for the whole family on Saturday evening, July 28 at 7 pm at Eden Mennonite Church, Moundridge, KS. Bryan Moyer Suderman, folk singer/song-writer, connects with all ages through his simple, but profound, scripture songs. Invite your friends and neighbors for a relaxing evening. Come for the whole Annual Assembly July 27-28! For more information and to register, go to: https://mennowdc.org/annual-assembly/#2018annualAssembly
- The Israel-Palestine Task Force invites you to send a representative from your congregation to “Christ at the Checkpoint US”, October 15-18 in Oklahoma City, OK. Bethlehem Bible College, an MCC partner for many years, will send bible teachers to this gathering of evangelicals. This is for those who believe that ” following Jesus with integrity means that our lives are formed by our love for God, the teaching of the Bible and a fearless life of discipleship in the complexities of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict” (Christ at the Checkpoint website). For more information, go to http://epesent.com/catcusa/about.php.
- Facebook users – Have you “liked” Western District Conference (Mennonite Church USA)? It’s a great way to keep up with what’s going on in WDC. Watch for occasional book reviews about the Israel-Palestine conflict, from books available in the Conference Resource Library.
- Churches: Please run this announcement in bulletins and consider forwarding it to your women’s circles/ministry (or all women in your congregation!)All women are invited to the Western District Women in Mission annual meeting at WDC’s 2018 Annual Assembly. We will share lunch together ($12) from 12:30-1:30 pm on Saturday, July 28 at Eden Mennonite Church, 401 18th Ave, Moundridge, KS. Following a brief business meeting, we will hear from Karen Mascho as well as have the opportunity to meet the incoming Executive Director of Mennonite Women USA. To register, send your name and $12 to WDC, PO Box 306, North Newton, KS 67117 by July 13.
- All WDC ministers are invited to Ministers’ Afternoon Apart on July 27. Scripture, Stranger, Neighbour: Encountering the “Other” in – and with – the Bible: As part of WDC’s “Year of Evangelism,” ministers are invited to an Afternoon Apart on Friday July 27 with Bryan Moyer Suderman, 2:30 – 5:00 pm at Tabor Mennonite Church. We will “search the scriptures” and our own experience to explore examples of encountering the “other” in – and with – Scripture. How might Scripture inform and transform our encounters and relationships with others, inviting people to become disciples of Jesus? How might our encounters and relationships with others inform and transform our engagement with Scripture and life of discipleship? Through story, conversation, film, and song, Bryan Moyer Suderman will lead us in a dynamic and uplifting time of exploration and reflection together. The event is free, but participants are requested to RSVP to WDC by July 13: firstname.lastname@example.org or 316-283-6300.
Camp Mennoscah announcements
- Urgent need for a nurse! Camp Mennoscah is looking for a nurse for the week of July 15-21. Please contact us at 620-297-3290 or email@example.com. We’d love to have a nurse for the full week, but let us know if you’d be able to do a partial week, too.
- We’re already absolutely certain that it’s going to be a great summer that we’re planning a celebration! Camp Mennoscah’s Annual Camp Sing will take place on August 12, at 6:30 pm at Hesston Mennonite Church. We’ll have popcorn, our beloved generic pop, singing, and many camp friends. It’s a time to rejoice in all the good friends and good times at Camp Mennoscah!
- The Whale Playground at Camp Mennoscah is complete! Thanks to Jordan Miller of Miller Construction, lots of volunteers, and your support, campers are currently playing on the new structure. It’s amazing! A generous donation is allowing us to add the slides and climbing net much sooner that we expected. We’ll get those in as soon as possible!
- Still space for you at Camp Mennoscah! We’re at our almost halfway point of the summer, but there’s still room for more campers. Register online at campmennoscah.orgor give us a call at 620-297-3290 for assistance. We’re thrilled to help more campers experience the amazing things that happen. Our theme this summer is Beyond Belief: The Universe of God.
- To our Senior High Wait List campers: We are working diligently to get hopefully all of you to Camp Mennoscah. We’ll notify campers as spaces are found. We have great hope and faith that everything will fall into place, but cannot yet guarantee this. Email us with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
Mennonite church announcements
1. On July 21-24, Whitestone Mennonite Church and Hesston Mennonite Church, both in Hesston, KS, are partnering together to offer a series of events – a concert, worship, evening workshop sessions, intergenerational mini-retreat – aimed at helping all ages to grow their faith. Bryan Moyer Suderman – an itinerant singer-songwriter and Bible teacher from Kitchener, Ontario, Canada – will help us to explore and use a variety of tools for cultivating faith in the soil of our everyday lives. (Poster attached.)
2. Area Advocate needed for the Corinthian Plan, MC USA health coverage program for pastors and staff of congregation. Contract position is available to be a presence at area conference meetings, make phone calls once a year at renewal and other congregational/conference contacts, and be available receive inquiries and refer on as needed. Positon is part-time, with hours having a seasonal nature, average around 6 – 8 hours over a year. Travel expenses paid. No benefits. Job Description is attached. Serve Corinthian Participants in Western District, South Central, and Central Plains Conference. Send inquiries to Duncan Smith at email@example.com or call 316-281-4255.
WDC Sprouts announcement guidelines: Announcements pertain to Western District Conference (WDC) ministries and churches, institutions with which WDC has formal relationships, and Mennonite Church USA agencies and ministries.
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620