WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
January 12, 2016
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
*News and Transitions
*What’s New and Good
Alexanderwohl Mennonite Church, Goessel, KS – Pastor
Bethel College Mennonite Church, North Newton, KS – Pastor
Eden Mennonite Church, Moundridge, KS – Pastor
Faith Mennonite Church, Newton, KS – Associate Pastor (Search Committee appointed)
Hoffnungsau Mennonite Church, Inman, KS – Pastor
New Creation Fellowship Church, Newton, KS – Pastor
San Antonio (TX) Mennonite Church – Pastor (Search Committee appointed)
News and Transitions
Robert Kreider, father-in-law of Heidi Regier Kreider, WDC Conference Minister, died on December 27 at his home in North Newton, KS.
- Devotionals for children—at home or at church: Living Ink, the 2016 Lent At-Home devotionals from Mennonite Church Canada, is now available as a free download. This fully illustrated devotional will appeal to families with children ages 3 – 12 and includes scripture, prayer, activities, songs, and much more. Created by Elsie Rempel, this booklet is perfect for at-home, but also could be used for Sunday morning worship (children’s time) or for a special Lent emphasis for children on Wednesday. It can be found at http://www.commonword.ca/FileDownload/21831/2016_Lent_at_Home_-_Living_Ink.pdf
- Your life story is an unrepeated journey that only YOU can tell! First Mennonite Church in Newton is sponsoring two life stories workshops this year called “Story Matters” led by Laurie Oswald Robinson which will provide tools to help people write their own stories or the stories of a loved one. The workshops will be held February 19-20 (6:30 – 9 pm Friday and 8:30 – 3:30 Saturday) and April 1-2. Choose the one that best fits your schedule. The cost is $60 per person which includes workshop materials, snacks and lunch. The workshops are partially funded by a Loaves & Fishes Grant from Western District Conference. To register, send an e-mail to Wendy Funk Schrag at firstname.lastname@example.org. Registration is due February 1 for the February workshop.
- Scrapbook and Crafts Retreats at Camp Mennoscah! We’re starting another camping season with our great and wonderful Scrapbooking Retreats–now Scrapbook and Crafts Retreats to include all you nifty crafters. Retreats are March 4-6 and 11-13. Sign up online or find a registration form (under Retreats) at campmennoscah.org! These weekends are a blast. Grab a friend for double the fun and a Bring a Friend discount!
- For all you Youth folks! We’re having a Youth Volunteer Weekend at Camp Mennoscah on March 11-12 for those in grades 7-12. Patrick and Rachel will lead the group in worship, music, and all those fun projects that help keep Camp Mennoscah looking snazzy. Register online at campmennoscah.org or call 620-297-3290 for more information. Grab your friends and join us for a hootin’ good time!
- Looking for all you super staffers! Camp Mennoscah will be recruiting for summer staff at Goshen College on Feb. 5 and at Hesston, Tabor, and Bethel Colleges on Feb. 8, 9, and 10 respectively. There will be a pizza meal/gathering on Feb. 10 at 6:15pm-ish at Papa John’s in Newton for those interested in being on summer staff and all former summer staff. Questions? Contact us at 620-297-3290 or email@example.com! We think summer staffers are a hoot!
What’s new and good!
A member of Eden Mennonite Church (Moundridge, KS) received a grant from the church endowment to connect and support the Staff and Teachers of the Moundridge School District. Several members prepared breakfast during the first week that teachers reported to school before the students arrived. Cards were mailed to staff and teachers by church members who had been praying for them. Favorite drinks were dropped off to each faculty/staff member on the first day back following the Thanksgiving break. A teacher received a magazine subscription that couldn’t be covered by the allotted school funds. The church and community has been excited by these small signs of concern and support for the school district and its employees. –Derek King, Associate Pastor
Mennonite Church Announcements
Youth Groups and Youth Pastors/Leaders are invited to attend Not Just On Sunday, with ordinary radical and follower of Christ, Shane Claiborne. Claiborne spoke at the MCUSA convention in Kansas City last summer. Hesston College is pleased to have Shane give in-depth presentations on campus this Feb. 19-21. Join Shane and others to explore what it looks like to live a vibrant Sunday through Saturday faith and find that deep joy of following Jesus. Every Day. Go to www.hesston.edu/avds to register/for information or call the Church Relations Office toll free at 866-437-7866/620-327-8109. Ways you and your youth group can be part of this event: 1) Youth groups are invited to the public session Friday evening, Feb. 19th at Hesston Mennonite Church (HMC), with a Q/A time for youth only following. Please let the Church Relations Office know if your group is planning to attend and the number coming. 2) Youth and youth pastors/leaders who want to attend the entire conference Fri./Sat./Sun., can do so at the significantly discounted rate of $35 per person. A special seminar track is included for youth ministry and congregational life on Saturday afternoon along with the three Claiborne sessions. 3) Youth that come as prospective students for the weekend through the Admissions Office will have the entire conference cost paid for (Call 800-995-2757 in advance.). 4) A limited number of Claiborne books are available for group study in January and February in advance of the conference. Contact the church relations office for books and more details. 5) Shane will give the Sunday morning Lenten message at HMC worship and groups may also attend at no cost on the 21st. Go to www.hesston.edu/avds to register/for information or call the Church Relations Office toll free at 866-437-7866/620-327-8109.
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620