WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
February 9, 2016
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
*News and Transitions
Alexanderwohl Mennonite Church, Goessel, KS – Pastor
Bethel College Mennonite Church, North Newton, KS – Pastor
Eden Mennonite Church, Moundridge, KS – Pastor
Faith Mennonite Church, Newton, KS – Associate Pastor
Hoffnungsau Mennonite Church, Inman, KS – Pastor
New Creation Fellowship Church, Newton, KS – Pastor
San Antonio (TX) Mennonite Church – Pastor
News and Transitions
Sara Dick has resigned as Pastor at Shalom Mennonite Church, Newton, KS, effective at the end of May.
Our sympathy to Wendy Funk Schrag (WDC Executive Board Secretary) upon the death of her father-in-law, Robert Schrag on January 26 in Newton, KS.
Luann Yutzy is now serving as Interim Pastor at Hoffnungsau Mennonite Church, Inman, KS.
- The WDC Resource Commission still has 8 available Loaves and Fishes Grants. Congregations who have not yet applied are strongly encouraged to do so. Congregations who have already received one are welcome to apply again. For more information, see https://mennowdc.org/grants/ or contact Katherine Goerzen at email@example.com.
- Devotionals for children—at home or at church: Living Ink, the 2016 Lent At-Home devotionals from Mennonite Church Canada, is now available as a free download. This fully illustrated devotional will appeal to families with children ages 3 – 12 and includes scripture, prayer, activities, songs, and much more. Created by Elsie Rempel, this booklet is perfect for at-home, but also could be used for Sunday morning worship (children’s time) or for a special Lent emphasis for children on Wednesday. It can be found at http://www.commonword.ca/FileDownload/21831/2016_Lent_at_Home_-_Living_Ink.pdf
- First Mennonite Church, 427 W 4th, Halstead, KS will have a verenike supper on February 20 from 5-7 pm. Menu: verenike, ham gravy, sausage, green beans, zweiback, cherry moos, pie, relishes and beverages. Cost by donation, proceeds go to church missions.
- The annual WDC basketball tournaments have been discontinued.
- WDC/SCC Women’s Spring Supper will be at Whitestone Mennonite Church, Hesston, KS on Thursday, March 17, at 6:00 p.m. Reservation with name(s) need to be made by March 10 to: firstname.lastname@example.org or 620-327-8201 (Angie at Hesston College). (Please copy and distribute attached flyer to women of your church.)
- There is still space left for the February 19-20 Story Matters Workshop! Your life story is an unrepeated journey that only YOU can tell! First Mennonite Church, Newton, is sponsoring two life stories workshops this year called “Story Matters” led by Laurie Oswald Robinson which will provide tools to help people write their own stories or the stories of a loved one. The workshops will be held February 19-20 (6:30-9:00 PM Friday and 8:30 AM-3:30 PM Saturday) and April 1-2, and are open to the community. Choose the one that best fits your schedule. The cost is $60 per person which includes workshop materials, snacks and lunch. The workshops are partially funded by a Loaves & Fishes Grant from Western District Conference. To register, send an e-mail to Wendy Funk Schrag at email@example.com.
- Mennonite Agri-Urban has just finished another successful year and you are invited to help us celebrate. Anyone interested in learning about our organization and everyone who donated feed and worked with Agri-Urban cattle is invited to a faspa on Sunday, February 21 at Eden Mennonite Church, rural Moundridge. Drop in between 3:30 and 5:00 pm. Information about the organization, a financial report and written reports from our beneficiaries will be available. A special thanks to all those who raised cattle and donated feed again this year. Proceeds from the cattle sales benefit Western District Conference, Mennonite Church USA and Bethel College.
- A benefit dinner to support scholarships for Iglesia Menonita Casa Betania members participating in IBA (Instituto Biblico Anabautista) classes will take place Sat., March 19, 5:30 p.m. at Bethel College Mennonite Church, 2600 College Avenue in North Newton, KS. The meal is by donation, and is sponsored by the BCMC Witness Commission as part of a project supported by a WDC “Loaves and Fishes” grant used to facilitate conversational Spanish classes. Members of the Spanish class will prepare and serve the meal. If you plan to attend, please RSVP by March 14 to Margaret Goering at firstname.lastname@example.org or 316-283-5034.
- Some of our favorite things! On Weds., Feb. 10, at 6:15pm-ish at Papa John’s in Newton, Camp Mennoscah is combining two of our favorite things–pizza and summer staffers! All those interested in being part of the 2016 summer staff are invited to join us for conversation, questions, and shared experiences. Contact Camp Mennoscah at 620-297-3290 with questions.
- Kitchen Helpers Unite! Camp Mennoscah is calling you–both new and returning–to cut and stir your way through a week of summer youth camps. No great skill needed, just the willingness to follow instructions, a helpful heart, and the desire to be part of our camping ministry. Contact us at 620-297-3290. Parents can receive up to a full camper discount.
- Hey, yutes! Youth in grades 7-12 should get ready for the Youth Volunteer Weekend at Camp Mennoscah on March 11-12. No sponsors or parents needed! We have counselors. Register online at www.campmennoscah.org. Spend the weekend in worship and service!
- Two weekends of Scrapbooking and Crafts! It’s a great time to work on that scrapbooking or craft project you’ve been putting off–or procrastinate even longer. Spend time with other scrappy and crafty folks on March 4-6 and/or March 11-13. Register online at www.campmennoscah.org! We’ll have the tables set up for you!
- Weekends of opportunity! Camp Mennoscah has a few weekends during the summer that are waiting for you and your family or small group to savor creation, luxuriate in fellowship, and renew your faith. Contact Camp Mennoscah at 620-297-3290 for available weekends. Don’t wait and don’t hesitate! It’ll be a jolly good time.
Mennonite Church Announcements
- Have you always wanted to experience another culture while growing professionally, spiritually, and personally? Then MCC’s SALT program is for you! We have upwards of 120 diverse assignments in over 35 countries waiting for the perfect applicants to fill them. Deadline to apply is Feb. 15. Make 2016 the year you will step out in faith and do it. Apply today atmcc.org/salt!
- MCC has resources to use in your church to promote The New Jim Crowproject (learn about this here: http://mcc.org/learn/more/new-jim-crow-project). This is a project focusing on the topic of mass incarceration, that MCC U.S. is promoting through the MCC Washington Office and in fact, here in Central States our staff is reading it together. I encourage you to check it out – and to share these resources with your congregation!
- Graduate Students in Healthcare Professions: Mennonite Healthcare Fellowship (MHF) offers educational grants for Anabaptist students to learn and serve in cross-cultural mission/service settings in developing countries. Deadline for 2016-17 academic year is May 15, 2016. For details and application form, see http://mennohealth.org/SET, email email@example.com, or call 1-888-406-3643.
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620