WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
February 14, 2017
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
*News and Transitions
First Mennonite Church, Halstead, KS – Pastor
First Mennonite Church, McPherson, KS – Pastor (Search Committee appointed)
Hoffnungsau Mennonite Church, Inman, KS – Pastor
Iglesia Menonita Aposento Alto, Wichita, KS – Church Planter-Pastor
Shalom Mennonite Church, Newton, KS – Associate Pastor
News and Transitions
Pastor Jaime Cazares’ ordination service will be at Iglesia Menonita Casa Betania, Newton, KS, on Sunday, March 5 at 3 pm. All are welcome!
- Leadership Lunches! Thanks to the 17 people who joined us on January 19 for our first Leadership Lunch! Our next Leadership Lunch is scheduled for February 16 from 12-1:30pm at the WDC offices. Each month, we will be discussing a different Kansas Leadership Center (KLC) competency and how it relates to scripture, Anabaptist theology and practice, and our own areas of ministry. In January, we reflected on “Take the temperature” and in February, we will focus on “Raising the heat.” All pastors and ministry leaders from both WDC and SCC are welcome even if you haven’t attended a KLC training. We hope that this will encourage and empower us to exercise more leadership for the common good in our churches and communities. If you have questions, please contact Kathy Neufeld Dunn (email@example.com), Rachel Siemens (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Phil Schmidt (email@example.com).
- Everyone’s invited to: What’s So Funny about Money on February 19 at 7 pm at the McPherson (KS) Opera House (219 S Main St.). This Ted and Company show will cause you to think even as it tickles your financial funny bone. Cost? By donation to benefit the WDC Matching Fund, assisting pastors with financial challenges. Sponsored by Everence. Bring your friends! (Churches, please use this announcement in your February 19 bulletins.)
- Immigration and Refugee Response: What has your congregation (or individuals in the congregation) done or is planning to do in response to immigration concerns and challenges? Do you have a story to tell? Do you have a refugee action plan that could include other Western District Conference people? WDC is willing to connect together congregations working at similar projects. We’d also like to tell inspiring, thought-provoking stories of how you are “loving the stranger” (Deut. 10.19) in the next Garden newsletter. Please send a note to firstname.lastname@example.org about what’s happening in your congregation as you welcome the stranger and if you’d welcome ministry partners in your work.
- You’re invited to First Mennonite Church, 427 W 4th, Halstead, for their annual Verenike Supper, Saturday, February 25 from 5-7 pm. Cost is by donation and the proceeds will be used for church mission projects. 316-835-2282 (Flyer attached.)
- Hymn Sing & Dessert Auction for the New Playground Structure! On February 26 at Eden Mennonite Church in Moundridge from 4-6pm, we will be gathering to sing hymns and bid on desserts made by wonderful camp friends. Be ready to write down your favorite hymns. Several song leaders and accompanists will there to lead us in joyous noise. See you there! (Poster attached.)
- Hopeful Blues, a 5-piece instrumental ensemble from Hope Mennonite Church, Wichita, KS, extends an invitation to a benefit concert March 5 at First Mennonite Church, Halstead, 427 W 4th St, Halstead, KS. The concert will be informal, starting at 7 pm. Many of the selections performed originate in the Mennonite Church USA conference hymnals and songbooks, ranging from traditional to gospel to jazz. A freewill offering will be taken with all proceeds to be donated to Camp Mennoscah. CD’s will be available for purchase, as well. Members of Hopeful Blues are: Eldon Chlumsky (djembe), Galen Fast (saxophone and other woodwinds), Leon Greaser (guitar), Rod Kremer (bass), and Laurie Regehr (piano). (Churches, please run this announcement in your February 19, 26 and March 5 bulletins. Thank you!)
- Hey, YOUTH! Stop staring at your cell phones and head on out to Camp Mennoscah on March 10-11 for a time of escape and service. The Youth Volunteer Weekend is the best time to get your head back in order, spend time in worship, and see camp folks. Go online at campmennoscah.org to register–scholarships available! We supply the counselors! Youth groups sponsors can contact us at 620-297-3290 to inquire about attending. (Poster attached.)
- Still a few spaces at the Camp Mennoscah Scrapbook and Crafts Retreats! These are some of the best and most memorable retreats. Take time to put your memories on a page (digitally or on paper), share conversations, make beads or sew on a quilt, have devotions–it’s a bit of everything for everyone. Register online at www.campmennoscah.org or call 620-297-3290.
- Camp Mennoscah’s 2017 camp catalogs should be in your hands. Didn’t get yours? Call us at 620-297-3290. We’ll get one to you quicker than quick. You can also find the catalog online at campmennoscah.org.
Mennonite Church Announcements
- Arli Klassen, Mennonite World Conference Coordinator of Regional Representatives from Kitchener, Ontario, will be visiting in Kansas March 12-19. She will be at various area churches and venues to which the public is invited. Her itinerary is:
March 12: 9:30 am, Bethel College Mennonite Church, North Newton; 10:45 am, Zion Mennonite Church, Elbing; 5:00 pm, Manhattan Mennonite Church
March 14: 9:30 am, Mennonite Church USA Chapel
March 15: 11 am, Bethel College Chapel, North Newton; 6:45 pm, Buhler Mennonite Church
March 16: 9 am, MCC Workroom, North Newton; 12 noon, Tabor College, Hillsboro
March 17: 11 am, Bethel College Convocation, North Newton
March 18: 4 pm, Song Festival, Lorraine Mennonite Ave. Church, Wichita
March 19: 8:30 am, Whitestone Mennonite Church, Hesston; 10:30 am, Hesston Mennonite Church; 4 pm, Trinity Mennonite, Hillsboro.
(Churches: Attached is a colored MWC Song Fest poster; and also a black & white Song Fest announcement for use as a bulletin insert.)
- Every two years, at the Mennonite Church USA convention, the Delegate Assembly convenes to tend to the business of Mennonite Church USA. However, at convention in Orlando, Florida — July 4–8, 2017 — the role of delegates will be anything but business-as-usual. This year we will be trying something new — the Future Church Summit — in conjunction with the regular Delegate Assembly. Click on this link to find out how it will work: http://mennoniteusa.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Information-for-Delegates_Final.pdf. SELECT YOUR DELEGATES NOW AND REGISTER BY FEBRUARY 28.
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620