WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
February 11, 2020
A weekly communication for WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
To support WDC ministries, contributions may be made HERE.
IN THIS ISSUE:
*Pastoral news & transitions
Southern Hills Mennonite Church, Topeka, KS – Pastor
Turpin Mennonite Church, Turpin, OK – Pastor
News and Transitions
Peter Goerzen, currently the Bethel College Campus Pastor and Instructor of Bible and Religion will move to faculty status in the department and will also serve as the department’s Acting Chair, effective July 1.
Joel Schroeder began as Interim Campus Pastor of Journey@Yoder (Journey Mennonite Church) on January 27.
- WDC Gifts Discernment Committee seeks nominees: Do you know persons who have gifts, skills and perspectives to share in the ministry of WDC? The Gifts Discernment Committee invites suggestions of names to consider as they select nominees for Moderator-Elect, and positions on WDC’s Executive Board and Commissions. For more information about the work and current members of these groups, see https://mennowdc.org/executive-board-commissions/. Nominees will be presented for affirmation by delegates at WDC Annual Assembly, July 31-Aug 2, 2020 at Camp Copass, Denton, TX. Please contact WDC at email@example.com or 316-283-6300 to offer your suggestions for future nominees. Thank you!
El Comité de Discernimiento de Regalos de WDC busca candidatos: ¿Conoces a personas que tengan regalos, habilidades y perspectivas para compartir en el ministerio de WDC? El Comité de discernimiento de obsequios invita a que se consideren los nombres a la hora de seleccionar a los nominados para moderador electo y los puestos en la Junta Ejecutiva y las Comisiones de WDC. Para obtener más información sobre el trabajo y los miembros actuales de estos grupos, consulte https://mennowdc.org/exeexe-board-commissions/. Los delegados serán presentados para su afirmación por los delegados en la Asamblea Anual de WDC, del 31 de julio al 2 de agosto de 2020 en Camp Copass, Denton, TX. Póngase en contacto con WDC en firstname.lastname@example.org o 316-283-6300 para ofrecer sus sugerencias para futuros nominados. ¡Gracias!
- Mennonite Church of the Servant, 2401 N Woodland, WIchita, KS, invites you to the first in a series of three immigration-themed movies, sponsored by the Immigrant Support Services Network. This Thursday, February 13, at 6:30 pm features “For Sama,” nominated for this year’s Academy Award in the documentary category. Following the movie, there will be discussion and refreshments. Future movie dates are March 12 and April 2, 6:30 pm.
- First Mennonite Church, 427 W 4th in Halstead, KS, invites everyone to their annual verenike supper on February 29 from 4:30-7 pm. Cost is by donation, proceeds go to church service trips and service projects.
- The Youth Ministry Committee of Western District and South Central conferences presents… Youth Lead Now, a one-day workshop designed for high school youth to enrich their leadership skills and deepen faith. Using the adaptive leadership framework from the Kansas Leadership Center and well known spiritual practices, we will equip youth with skills to be leaders among their peers, in their churches, and in their communities. Our hope is that congregations would partner with us by sending youth who have been affirmed for their leadership gifts or potential.
Date: February 29, 2020
Time: 9am to 4pm
Location: Faith Mennonite Church, Newton, KS
Registration Fee: $50 (scholarships available upon request). High School Youth can register through the link: https://forms.gle/fWQ2BVjybMVtzKsC8
- SAVE THE DATE! — Mark your calendars for the Western District Women in Mission Spring Supper on Thursday, March 12 at 6 pm at Faith Mennonite Church, Newton, KS. Our Special Guest Speaker will be Patty Shelly, Professor of Bible and Religion at Bethel College. Additional information coming soon! (Churches, please publicize this announcement in your bulletin and or group emails)
Camp Mennoscah announcements
- Camp Mennoscah wants you as part of our summer staff! We are looking for dedicated and faithful college-age students to fill nine summer staff positions: naturalist, crafts leader, lifeguard (3), grounds/maintenance, music leader, office, and office/media. Working at camp is an amazing opportunity to build relationships with Christ, serve others, and have fun with all ages! Summer staffers are paid a volunteer stipend of $250 per camp week. Room and board are provided, as are various staff outings and activities. Further information and the application can be found HERE. (http://www.campmennoscah.org/vnews/display.v/SEC/Programs%7CSummer%20Youth%20Camps%3E%3ESummer%20Youth%20Camp%20Staff%20Application)
- Youth Volunteer Weekend is March 13-14! Registration is open and ready for all youth grades 7-12 to join us for a weekend of music, worship, and service. S’mores included! Full scholarships are available as part of the online registration process at www.campmennoscah.org(Summer Youth Camp Section). Call 620-297-3290 with questions. We’ll see you there! (See attached poster.)
- Youth Camp registration is open! Go to www.campmennoscah.organd click on Register Online in the upper left corner. Graduating seniors should register now for the best chance to attend Senior High Camp. Our theme this summer is This Is Our Prayer. Questions? Call us at 620-297-3290 or email email@example.com.
- Camp Mennoscah’s Hymn Sing and Dessert Auction is March 1! Everyone is invited to join us for an afternoon of hymns, fellowship and desserts at Tabor Mennonite Church, Newton KS, on March 1 from 4-6pm. Amazing desserts made by camp supporters will be auctioned off to raise funds to renovate our beloved amphitheater used for evening campfires. Bring your singing voices and open wallets!
- Scrapbook and Crafts Retreats at Camp Mennoscah still have a few open spaces! We love to have these retreats overflowing with fun and fellowship. Bring a friend to either retreat on Feb. 28-March 1 or March 6-8 and join in the cropping and crafting. Register online at www.campmennoscah.org! Contact us at 620-297-3290 with questions.
- Refresh and Renew at Camp Mennoscah’s Retirees Retreat, April 20-22! Retirees of all ages are invited to enjoy sessions on a variety of topics, partake in coffee breaks and community, and join together in song and Bible study. Request a registration form at 620-297-3290! Forms will be sent to the churches soon.
Mennonite church announcements
- 2020 MCC Centennial Bike Ride, August 9 – 14based in Albany Oregon. Registration open. More details at https://www.oregonfestivalforworldrelief.com/bike-2020.html. Beautiful green spaces at Mennonite Village. Various route options. Lots of local areas to explore. Evening festivities. Ride, dine, discover, celebrate!
- Mennonite Creation Care Network (MCCN) is offering Green Mustard Seed Grantsfor Mennonite/Anabaptist congregations to assist with projects related to creation care. Congregations may request $500 to $1000. For more information see https://mennocreationcare.org/green-mustard-seed-fund/
WDC Sprouts announcement guidelines: Announcements pertain to Western District Conference (WDC) ministries and churches, institutions with which WDC has formal relationships, and Mennonite Church USA agencies and ministries.