WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
August 11, 2020
A weekly communication for WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
We invite your continuing support for WDC! Contributions may be made HERE.
IN THIS ISSUE:
*Pastoral news & transitions
Turpin Mennonite Church, OK – Pastor
WDC Associate Conference Minister (Texas-Based)
News and Transitions
Peter Emery’s final Sunday as Interim Pastor at Southern Hills Mennonite Church will be August 30.
Rosie Jantz, Associate Pastor at Tabor Mennonite Church, Newton, KS, will retire on November 30.
Our sympathy to Sandra Montes-Martinez upon the death of her mother in law on July 26. Sandra is a WDC staff person and Pastor at Iglesia Menonita Monte Horeb in Dallas, TX.
Gabriel Pennington will be installed as pastor at Southern Hills Mennonite Church on September 6.
- Last chance! WDC invites everyone to fill out a WDC Questionnaireby Aug 11 – that’s today! See Questionnaire here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScnlSX5ibg9z87BQOQBm-MkddjpjrurDdIz61SW5JWtCIKVZw/viewform. Results will be reviewed tomorrow.
- Preschool Story Hourat the Conference Resource Library returns this fall with VIRTUAL LIVE story hours full of stories, rhymes, and craft ideas on Tuesdays at 10:00am and Thursdays at 3:30pm. Tuesday and Thursday sessions will be different, join us for one or both sessions each week. Story Hour will start Tuesday, September 8 and be geared toward ages 3-5. Story Hour will be led by Library Director Jennie Wintermote and will be shorter than our Summer Story Hour. Register at https://forms.gle/vpk7DXRwwHAbSo5A7 and contact Jennie with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Camp Mennoscah announcements
- Mental Health Spiritual Retreat at Camp Mennoscah will be a one-day event on Monday, September 7. This retreat is for those affected by mental illness, including friends and family. Activities will be outside. We will follow social distancing and mask guidelines. Please bring a mask with you. Those interested in attending the retreat should contact Camp Mennoscah at 620-297-3290.
- Men and Boys Retreat at Camp Mennoscah has been canceled for 2020. Men and boys (with adult supervision) and families are invited to contact Camp Mennoscah at 620-297-3290 about overnight stays or day visits. We’ll see you soon!
- Camp Mennoscah welcomes guests! Camping areas and cabins are open to guests/groups for overnight stays and day visits. Spend time in the river, have a campfire cookout, and enjoy the open spaces of the tallgrass prairie and the Ninnescah River! Contact Camp Mennoscah at 620-297-3290 to make a reservation and to inquire about use of additional facilities. We can’t wait to see you!
- Camp Mennoscah’s main phone number (620-297-3290) will be answered between the hours of 8:30am and 5:00pm on weekdays. Emails will also be answered within the same basic time frame, depending on staff work hours. Outside of these hours, you may be able to reach camp staff, but there are no guarantees. Please leave a message or send an email and we’ll be in touch as soon as possible!
Mennonite church announcements
- Due to the pandemic, Mission Network’s Donor Relations team is not traveling to visit with our wonderful donors, but we are on the phone and writing notes! Please know you are appreciated, valued, and prayed for. Thank you for your continued generosity.
- Collaborative storytelling project launched to capture 2020 through an Anabaptist lens: The creators of Anabaptist History Today (AHT), a new collaborative storytelling project, are calling on Anabaptists across the United States and Canada to share their experiences during the remarkable historical, biological and social events of 2020. See attached news release for more information.
WDC Sprouts announcement guidelines: Announcements pertain to Western District Conference (WDC) ministries and churches, institutions with which WDC has formal relationships, and Mennonite Church USA agencies and ministries.
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620