WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
August 11, 2015
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
*News and Transitions
Congregational Information Forms can be viewed at: www.mennowdc.org (Pastoral Openings)
Alexanderwohl Mennonite Church, Goessel, KS – Pastor – CIF will be posted soon
Buhler/Hoffnungsau/Inman Mennonite Churches, Buhler & Inman, KS – Joint Youth Pastor
Eden Mennonite Church, Moundridge, KS – Pastor
Grace Hill Mennonite Church, Whitewater, KS – Pastor
New Creation Fellowship Church, Newton, KS – Search Committee appointed
San Antonio (TX) Mennonite Church – Search Committee appointed
News and Transitions
Tim Amor will be the Pastor at Beatrice (NE) Mennonite Church, beginning in September.
Peter Emery began as Interim Supply Pastor at Alexanderwohl Mennonite Church, Goessel, KS on August 3.
Weldon Martens will begin as Interim Supply Pastor at Hoffnungsau Mennonite Church, Inman, KS on September 14.
Howard Snider, retired pastor and Bethel College professor, died on Sunday, August 2 in North Newton, KS.
- Read about Peter Goerzen and the work of the WDC Task Force on the Death Penalty on Jim Juhnke’s August 3 blog post: http://kansasmennonitesinpolitics.wordpress.com
- Join us at West Zion for a discipleship workshop with Marvin Lorenzana of Mennonite Mission Network on Sept. 12, 9:00-noon. Marvin will focus on how we grow as disciples of Jesus in the context of Missional Discipleship Groups, a form of small group. Lunch will be provided. Please register online at: http://goo.gl/forms/rcF3DMOedv (or on the West Zion church website). Marvin will also lead SS and bring the message on Sept.13 at West Zion. West Zion Mennonite is located at 101 S. Washington, Moundridge, KS, 620-345-8143.
- Shalom Mennonite Church, seeks a ¾-time office manager. The ideal candidate will be strongly committed to supporting the ministries of the church. Experience in office management, purchasing, developing communication materials and basic bookkeeping is essential. To apply, submit a cover letter and resume to Office Manager Position, Shalom Mennonite Church, 800 E. 1st St., Newton, KS 67114. For more information visit shalomnewton.org/about/jobs. Apply by Aug. 25 for best consideration.
- Read a nice article about Frank Keller, former WDC Conference Minister: https://www.facebook.com/Canadian.Mennonite/posts/865690000174410
- Doodle-ly Done It! The “Just Doodle-ly Do It” Camp Sing on August 9 for Camp Mennoscah raised a whopping $2345 for toilets for the new bath houses. That means funds for almost 10 of the 23 toilets were raised! (Miss out on your chance to “buy” a $250 toilet? Send your donation to Camp Mennoscah, PO Box 65, Murdock KS 67111.) Thank you to all the energetic and fun folks who showed up to sing, listen, and just doodle-ly do it. We still have tee shirts available for $15/$18. Contact Camp Mennoscah at firstname.lastname@example.org or 620-297-3290 to purchase.
- Now is the time to register for the Mental Health Spiritual Retreat at Camp Mennoscah! This retreat on Sept. 6-7 is for family, friends, and anyone affected by mental illness. We will be relaxing while enjoying all sorts of activities from swimming to crafts to nature walks. Our theme is Power Up. The brochure can be found at www.campmennoscah.org under Retreats or call us at 620-297-3290.
- Work Day Fun! It’s almost time for the annual Work & Play Camp at Camp Mennoscah, Sept. 20-23. Everyone is invited to join us September 20 for the annual meeting, disc golf tournament, and simple meal beginning at 3:30pm at Camp Mennoscah–and then to stick around for a few days of work and play. We’ll be doing a bit of this and a bit of that, and you can choose how much and what you want to do. Tasks for all skills and activity levels will be available. Brochures available online at www.campmennoscah.org under Retreats or by calling 620-297-3290.
Mennonite Church Announcements
- Creating a Scene in Corinth: AMBS is offering the online short course “Creating a Scene in Corinth: Conflict in 1 Corinthians” this fall with Reta Halteman Finger. Early Registration is due August 12. If you are interested in more information, see https://www.ambs.edu/churchleadershipcenter/bible-short-courses.cfm.
- Volunteer staff are needed at The International Guest House in Washington, D.C. (3 months or full year) for the ministry of Christian hospitality. The Guest House (a ministry of Allegheny Conference) serves both international and US travelers. Volunteers are provided full room and board in the Guest House. Monthly stipend of $140. Health insurance paid for full year volunteers if needed. Hospitality duties include cleaning, laundry, maintenance, baking, hosting breakfast & tea and welcoming guests. Great location for sightseeing and exploring the many facets of the National City. For information and an application contact: Judy Nord email@example.com (3019856858) or International Guest House firstname.lastname@example.org (202)726-5808
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620