WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
October 21, 2014
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
1. Last chance! Register for Pastors Day Apart, “Cultivating an Incarnational Church,” by tomorrow – October 22! You can register and pay at: https://mennowdc.org/pastors-day-apart-october-30-2014/ or call 316-283-6300.
2. The Western District Reference Council will meet on Saturday, November 15, at Eden Mennonite Church. The WDC Discernment Task Force will report the results of the recent WDC Survey regarding authority, polity and sexuality. Further discernment will focus on polity – the relationships and sphere of authority of congregation, conference, and denomination. This Reference Council is open to members and participants of WDC congregations in addition to WDC commissions and committees and pastors. Congregations are encouraged to appoint delegates for Kansas City 2015, June 30-July 5, and WDC Assembly 2015, October 30-31, and have these delegates attend. Register online at https://mennowdc.org/wdc-reference-council/ or call 316-283-6300.
3. The WDC Music and Worship Task Force invite all children’s choirs to participate in the Children’s Choir Festival to be held on Sunday afternoon, April 26. A music packet is available for directors to peruse in the Music Resource Library at the WDC office along with ordering information. Questions? Email: email@example.com.
4. Props Included! There are only a few spaces left at the Oct. 31-Nov. 2 Scrapbooking Retreat at Camp Mennoscah. There are rumors of feathered boas, weird hats, and fake mustaches to be used as one of the sessions and you’d hate to miss out. Find the registration form at www.campmennoscah.org in the Retreats section or call us at 620-297-3290 and we’ll get you one. Spend the weekend working on those sadly neglected scrapbooks!
5. Now is the Time! It’s the best time to schedule your family or group retreat at Camp Mennoscah for 2015. The holidays haven’t eaten everyone up yet and people may still have enough energy to look ahead to next year. Try a relaxing retreat in January and February with hot chocolate and a book or board games! A limited number of summer weekends are available. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 620-297-3290.
MC USA Announcements
1. DREAMer scholarship funds available! Scholarship funds are now available from Mennonite Church USA to help with college or trade school tuition costs for undocumented young adults who are part of a Mennonite congregation or attend a Mennonite college/university. These funds come from the DREAMer Fund, which was originally established to help DREAMers apply for deferred action to be able to live and work legally in the U.S. At the Mennonite Church USA 2013 convention in Phoenix, more than $27,000 was raised for this fund. However, due to the uncertain future of immigration reform, many DREAMers have been hesitant to apply, so the use of the fund is being expanded to include educational assistance. The first deadline date has been extended to October 15 for 2014 only. See DREAMer Scholarship Fund at: http://www.mennoniteusa.org/what-we-do/immigration/.
2. The International Guest House in Washington, D.C. http://igh-dc.com/needs hosts beginning July 2015 for a one year term. This ministry of Christian hospitality is operated by Allegheny Mennonite Conference to provide a “home away from home” for DC visitors. Other volunteers (one month or longer) are also needed. Volunteers receive room and board; full year volunteers receive stipend and health insurance. Responsibilities: welcoming guests, serving breakfast & tea, baking, cleaning, laundry, maintenance. Enjoy sightseeing during free time. Contact: International Guest House email@example.com (202)726-5808
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620