WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
November 11, 2014
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
*News and Transitions
Congregational Information Forms can be viewed at: www.mennowdc.org (Pastoral Openings)
WDC Associate Conference Minister
Beatrice Mennonite Church, Beatrice, NE – Pastor (CIF coming)
Hanston (KS) Mennonite Church – Pastor
Buhler/Hoffnungsau/Inman (KS) Mennonite churches – Joint Youth Pastor
Shalom Mennonite Church, Newton, KS – Pastor (CIF coming)
News and Transitions
Congratulations to Sadie Mast, member of Joy Mennonite and committee peace activist, who was recognized by the Center for Conscience in Action, Oklahoma City, OK, for a life dedicated to building and loving community and world through countless organizations, projects and events.
Lee Suderman will begin as Interim Pastor at Eden Mennonite Church, Moundridge, KS, on November 15.
Two WDC pastors, Ruth Harder, Rainbow Mennonite Church, Kansas City, KS, and Tom Harder, Lorraine Avenue Mennonite Church, Wichita, KS, have been on an MCC Learning Tour in Israel/Palestine, due to return November 12.
- WDC Reference Council is this Saturday, November 15 at Eden Mennonite Church in Moundridge, KS. Registrants have received access to advance materials. It is suggested that registrants arrive by 8:45 am in order to get coffee and be ready to begin by 9 am.
- Church planting dreamers, sister church representatives, church planting support committee representatives, and anyone with a heart for new church development, are invited to the Church Planting Dreamers Advance on Saturday, December 13, at the Cross Wind Conference Center in Hesston, KS. Chet Miller-Eshleman, planter and pastor of LifeBridge Community Church, Dover, OH, will be the primary resource person along with others. Register online at www.mennowdc.org/church-planting-advance/. Cost $10. (Please reproduce the attached brochure and distribute it to Mission/Outreach Committees and interested persons in your congregation.)
- Consider giving a Scripture Doodle book to your friends and family for Christmas. This collection of 20 black and white patterns created for coloring, meditation, memorization was created by Joanna Pinkerton, for Year of the Bible. A wonderful companion for retreats, trips, devotions. Pair it with a brand new set of colored pencils! They are $10 each or $12 to ship and may be ordered from email@example.com See samples at yearofthebiblenetwork.org
- Camp Mennoscah has a number of red hymnals (not in great condition) to give to anyone who wants them. Contact Olivia Bartel 620-297-3290, firstname.lastname@example.org
- You are invited to the Regional Abolition Conference of the Kansas Coalition Against the Death Penalty, on November 13 from 6-9 pm at the Buhler (KS) Mennonite Church. Come listen to the story of Syl and Vicki Schieber, murder victim family members whose daughter, Shannon, was brutally raped and murdered in 1998. They are vocal in their opposition to the death penalty. Break Out Sessions will be lead by Rep. Steve Becker (retired judge) & Jeff Wicks (Public Defender from Kansas Death Penalty Defense Team). For more information go to www.ksabolition.org or contact Ewnetu Tsegaw at email@example.com or 316.312.3689. Reservations are appreciated.
Mennonite Church USA Announcements
- Conflict, Communication, and Conciliation: AMBS-Kansas Center will partner with KIPCOR to host a course entitled Conflict, Communication, and Conciliation January 6-9, 2015. This course, led by Kirsten Zerger and Gary Flory, will prepare students to navigate interpersonal conflict more fruitfully through a focus on conflict analysis, personal style in conflict, communication skills, conciliation and conflict transformation, and developing spiritual foundations for working with conflict. For more information, please see www.ambs.edu/kansascenter. (See two attached power point announcements from AMBS-Kansas Center for congregational use.)
- Menno Snapshots blog. Did you know that Mennonite Church USA has a blog and video roll that features stories from across the church? Come be inspired, challenged and subscribe to join the conversation at www.MennoniteUSA.org.
- IBA (INSTITUTO BIBLICO ANABAUTISTA) BENEFIT DINNER: The annual Hispanic Pastoral and Leadership Education (HPLE) program benefit dinner will be held Friday, Nov. 21 at 6:30 pm in the First Mennonite Church of Newton fellowship hall. Join us to enjoy a Smothered Pork Burrito dinner by Chef Carlos Lujano, to hear the testimonies of two IBA students and to learn more about the program. You will also have an opportunity to participate in a free will offering to support the program financially. For more information contact Violeta at: VioletaA@MennoniteEducation.org or call 316-281-4342.
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620