WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
May 13, 2014
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
IN THIS ISSUE:
*News and Transitions
Congregational Information Forms can be viewed at: www.mennowdc.org (Pastoral Openings)
Buhler/Hoffnungsau/Inman (KS) Mennonite churches – Joint Youth Pastor
Trinity Mennonite Church, Hillsboro, KS – Lead Pastor
For additional part-time Youth Pastor openings, contact Clarence Rempel, Conference Minister
News and Transitions
- Congratulations to Peter and Katherine Goerzen, Pastor and Associate Pastor at Grace Hill Mennonite Church, Whitewater, KS, upon the birth of their second child, Nathan Luke, on May 1.
- Peter and Katherine Goerzen have resigned as Pastor and Associate Pastor of Grace Hill Mennonite Church, Whitewater, KS, effective July 27. Peter will become the Campus Pastor/Director of Church Relations at Bethel College.
- Congratulations to Brian Harmon (Pastor, First Mennonite Church, Halstead, KS) and his wife, Jessica, upon the birth of their second child, Keira Bess on May 6.
- Caleb Regehr has resigned as youth pastor of Buhler, Hoffnungsau (Inman), and Inman Mennonite churches effective June 1. He plans to be married to Berk-Leigh Simpson on June 28 and move to Lantana, Florida.
- Amanda Rempel will be the Supply Pastor at Beatrice (NE) Mennonite Church during June and July.
- Joe Wuest will end as Youth Pastor of Goessel (KS) Mennonite Church in July.
- Upcoming sabbaticals: Eric Buller (Inman Mennonite Church), Kathy Neufeld Dunn (First Mennonite Church, McPherson, KS), Marty Troyer (Houston Mennonite Church)
1. Experience Tag-Team preaching with these WDC pastors as they reflect on our theme, God with us – Patient and Persistent: Anita Kehr, Ray Reimer, Brad Roth, Steve Schmidt, and Tonya Ramer Wenger. Register now to attend WDC Assembly on July 4-6, in Waxahachie Texas, by visiting mennowdc.org. Ride the bus and enjoy fellowship, and please call us soon to indicate your interest: 316-283-6300.
2. The Annual Assembly Report Book (English and Spanish versions) is now available online at: www.mennowdc.org (Annual Assembly 2014).
3. Nature Rocks! is the theme of Summer Storytime at the WDC Resource Library, led by Bethel College senior, Adam Voth. Ages 3-8 are invited to join in the fun! Wednesday mornings, 10 am, June 18 – July 23. Call to register: 316-283-6300
4. Shine! is the premier Anabaptist faith formation tool. Discover how to teach and model weekly Spiritual Practices with children at the June 22 launch at Lorraine Ave. Mennonite Church, Wichita, 3 pm. Call 316-283-6300 to register your team.
5. Be a BandAid Hero!–Camp Mennoscah is looking for a fun-loving, kid-friendly nurse for the week of July 13-19. This is the week directed by Derek & Kara Klingenberg and is sure to be a great time! You won’t want to go back to the humdrum of everyday life after this. Kitchen staff also still needed for the week of July 27-Aug 1. Contact us at 620-297-3290 or email@example.com
6. Woo-whee! Camp Mennoscah’s summer camps are beginning to fill up! We still have openings in all of our camps, but don’t wait too long to get your registration in. We don’t want you to miss out on Finding Your True Self in Jesus! Registration forms and the online payment option can be found at www.campmennoscah.org–we’ll see you this summer!
7. Hey, folks of all ages! We’ve got our intergenerational Family Camp coming up July 26-27 and you are all invited! This camp is for college students, grandparents, grandkids, moms and dads–everyone but the pets! (All children must be supervised.) Keep your eyes open for the brochures and more information!
8. Thank you, generous casserole makers and talented meat smokers! Camp Mennoscah is ever-grateful to those of you who have offered to provide a main dish for one of our orientation meals, June 1-7. We’re still looking for a few more generous folks to help us with our meal prep. Want to share your favorite casserole with us? Give us a call at 620-297-3290.
Mennonite Church USA Announcements
1. (For May 18 and 25 bulletins.) The AMBS-Great Plains Extension Celebration will be held on Sunday, June 1, at 4:00 p.m. at the Bethel College Mennonite Church, North Newton. Please join in this program of thanksgiving and hear about the new “AMBS-Kansas Center” ongoing course offering site. A reception follows the program. For information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 316-283-7098. Flier is attached.
2. PRAYERS FOR MENNONITE CHURCH USA are hosted at the AMBS-Great Plains Seminary classroom each Friday in May from 12:00 to 12:30 p.m. Pastor and AMBS student Peter Goerzen leads the structured prayers. All are welcome. Enter the classroom door off the parking lot at 2500 Place, North Newton.
3. An Invitation to join Mennonite Mission Network board and staff for a Celebration of Mission – On Saturday, June 7, 6:30 p.m., at Shalom Mennonite Church, 800 E. 1st St., Newton, Kan., Mennonite Mission Network will celebrate God’s mission in Africa with a special offering and dessert reception. Hear stories and testimonies about the deep connection that Kansans have with God’s work across Africa. Speakers to include Stanley Green, James Krabill, and Joe and Anna Liechty Sawatzky. RSVP by May 30 to Karen Ritchie at email@example.com or 1-866-866-2872, ext 23003 (toll-free, direct) would be appreciated.
4. On the Way newsletter – Did you know that Mennonite Church USA Staff puts out a quarterly newsletter exploring various justice issues around the church? If you’re not a subscriber yet, sign up to receive our next edition of On the Way, which will feature highlights from the recent women doing theology conference. http://www.mennoniteusa.org/publications/on-the-way/on-the-way-vol-2-no-1/
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620