WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
March 26, 2013
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org
IN THIS ISSUE:
Thank you to the congregations and members of Western District Conference
by Phyllis Regier, WDC Business Manager
Because of your generosity and support for our projects, Western District Conference ended the 2012 fiscal year with a surplus. Our staff has also practiced good stewardship by keeping expenses down and spending only 87% of the projected budget. The surplus will be put to good use. 50% will be transferred to a church-planting restricted fund and used to help support our new church plants. The rest will be used to replace aging office equipment and a worn out conference vehicle. Thank you again for your support.
Websites for Stewardship Concerns: Below are several websites that concentrate on church giving and stewardship that may be of some help for pastors and stewardship groups.
http://www.faithandleadership.com/features/articles/quiz-how-fill-the-collection-plate?page=full — from the Duke Divinity School
http://www.philanthropy.iupui.edu/the-lake-institute — The Lake Institute on Faith and Giving
1. Twelve teams participated in the WDC Basketball Tournament last week, including two teams from South Central Conference: Alexanderwohl (Goessel), Bethel College (North Newton), Eden (Moundridge), First (Halstead), First (Newton), Hesston (Hesston), Hoffnungsau (Inman), Journey (South Hutchinson), Tabor (Newton), West Zion (Moundridge), Whitestone (Hesston), joint team – Zion (Elbing) & Grace Hill (Whitewater). Congratulations to the winners in Division I – Whitestone, and Division II – Zion/Grace Hill. Many thanks to Lynn Eichelberger who organized the tournament.
2. Full-time Campus and Facilities Director needed at Camp Mennoscah, a Christian camp in Murdock, KS. High School or GED plus experience in general maintenance and repair required, including knowledge of electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and vehicles. Salary based on experience. Submit letter of interest and resume to Olivia Bartel, firstname.lastname@example.org, 620-297-3290, no later than April 1, 2013.
3. Camp Sing 2013! Camp Mennoscah’s Camp Sing will be held on Sunday, May 5 at Faith Mennonite Church in Newton, KS at 7 pm. The Camp Sing will be raising funds for new bathhouses–and it’s a competition between the boys’ side and the girls’ side! Popcorn and our favorite (or cheapest) generic pop will be served. Tee shirts can be ordered by calling Kara at 620-983-9003 or through the Camp Mennoscah Facebook page.
4. Nurses Needed, Kitchen Staff Sought. We know that it feels like summer is months and miles away, but really it’s not! Olivia knows that summer youth campers will be swarming the grounds of Camp Mennoscah in short order. This gives her ants in her pants, wondering who will be our nurses and kitchen staff. Nurses are needed for June 16-20, July 7-11, and July 21-27. Nurses receive a volunteer stipend or camper discount. Kitchen staff are needed for June 16-20, June 23-29, July 7-11, July 21-27, and July 28-Aug. 2. Kitchen staff can receive a camper discount. Contact us at email@example.com or 620-297-3290 for more information. Our nurses and kitchen staff keep Camp Mennoscah running smoothly!
5. Coming Soon! The Retirees’ Relaxation Retreat at Camp Mennoscah is just about one month away. Have you packed your bags for the “trip” to the Congo? We’ll be talking about “A Century of Change” in the Congo and Kansas. Retirees of all ages are invited. Need a brochure? Contact us at 620-297-3290 or find the brochure on our webpage under Retreats.
MC USA Announcements
1. Register for convention today! The Mennonite Church USA convention in Phoenix is only four months away. The convention planning team and members of Mennonite congregations all across the country have been hard at work preparing worship services, seminars, special events and public witness gatherings to inspire, educate, engage and rejuvenate you this July. Early bird registration ends on April 25, so be sure to visit www.MennoniteUSA.org\Convention to register today!
2. Learn about and join in God’s work in the world! Serve for 3 weeks or a year with Youth Venture and Radical Journey (respectively) in Colombia, Spain, South Africa, Indonesia, and more! More info at www.MennoniteMission.net/Serve
¡Conoce lo que Dios está haciendo en el mundo y únete a su trabajo! Sirve tres semanas o un año con Jóvenes Aventureros/as (Youth Venture) o Jornada Radical (Radical Journey) en Colombia, España, Sudáfrica, Indonesia, y otros países. Más información en www.MennoniteMission.net/Serve
3. Junior Youth Express! The Mennonite Church USA Convention Planning Team is chartering a bus for up to 50 junior high youth, sponsors and/or parents. Ride the bus for $50 per person from Newton, Kan., to Phoenix, Ariz, departing from Newton on the evening of Sunday, June 30, and arriving in Phoenix midday Monday July 1. The bus will return to Newton the evening of Saturday, July 6. All junior youth will need to be accompanied by a responsible adult (either a parent or sponsor). You must register for convention and the bus prior to April 24. To reserve your seat on the Junior Youth Express, contact Nancy Funk at Western District Conference, firstname.lastname@example.org or 316-283-6300.
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620