WESTERN DISTRICT CONFERENCE
June 9, 2015
A weekly communication for:
WDC Churches and Pastors
WDC Executive Board, Commission, Committee and Task Force members
Any content may be used in bulletins and newsletters and
forwarded to congregational leaders and members.
WDC Sprouts is also available at: www.mennowdc.org (Publications)
1. Howard Garver, Associate Conference Minister and Director of Church Planting for Western District Conference, has resigned effective August 15, 2015. Howard expressed appreciation for the warm reception and the many affirmations he has received. However, the lack of peace about relocation to Texas and his assessment of the relationship led him to submit his resignation. The appointment of future staff will be the assignment of the new conference minister, Heidi Regier Kreider, after she begins on August 17.
2. For those who have registered, the Anabaptist Faith Formation Launch begins at 2 pm on Friday at Bethel College Memorial Hall.
3. Three Leadership Transformation Scholarships are left of the 51 originally granted by the Kansas Leadership Center to Western District and South Central Conference. Find the application at: https://mennowdc.org/grants/ – NOW!
4. All-Ages Family Camp! Camp Mennoscah’s Family Camp for all ages and all family/friend combinations is July 25-26. Join us for worship, river play, crafts, swimming, and any number of other activities. Alan Stucky and Katie Best are our fearless leaders for the week. Register online at www.campmennoscah.org! (Paper registrations are also available.)
Mennonite Church Announcements
- Song on the Lawn, June 14 from 5-8pm!Come out to WillowSpring Downs for this annual mini-outdoor music festival. Carol Duerksen and Maynard Knepp graciously open their farm to the public for this annual event to support the work of MCC. Six local groups will preform throughout the evening and great food will be available, too. Come out to relax and enjoy this unique event supporting the work of Mennonite Central Committee! Check out mcc.org/song-lawn for directions and more information!
- It takes hundreds of people to plan and prepare for Mennonite World Conference’s Assembly this July 21-26. Thousands of Anabaptists from around the world will converge on Harrisburg, PA to worship, learn, and play together. How can you help! Join the prayer team! More info at: mwc-cmm.org/pa2015prayernetwork.
- How does your faith integrate with your studies and work in the healthcare field? Mennonite Healthcare Fellowship (MHF) invites all healthcare workers, past, present, and future, and from medical, mental health, and chaplaincy professions, to come, along with their families, to its Annual Gathering 2015, July 19-21, in Harrisburg, PA. Come to learn, fellowship, worship, network, and be encouraged in your Christian faith! Annual Gathering is a family-friendly event with a children’s program for ages 0-18. The theme is “Walking Together for Healthy Communities.” Grants available for students, volunteers, and those outside U.S./Canada. For more information, go to www.mennohealth/gathering, email email@example.com, or call toll-free to 1-888-406-3643. Final registration deadline is June 28.
- Triage Volunteers Needed! A corps of healthcare professionals is needed to provide triage medical services during the Mennonite World Conference (MWC) global assembly in Harrisburg, Pa., July 21–25. Doctors, nurses, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, paramedics, and emergency medical technicians are invited to volunteer for one or more four-hour shifts throughout the week. For more information, please see http://mennohealth.org/mwc-volunteers/ or contact Nancy Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org by June 29.
- A special Healthcare Workers Dinner Meeting will be held during Mennonite World Conference Assembly on Thursday, July 23, 5:00-6:30 p.m. in the Monongahela Room at the Farm Show Complex. All healthcare workers attending Mennonite World Conference Assembly are invited! The evening meal will be provided free of charge. Connect with friends old and new and hear reports on healthcare ministries from around the world! For more information and sign-up, go to http://mennohealth.org/mwc-meeting/ or call 1-888-406-3643.
- The Democratic Republic of Congo is home to one of the world’s largest Mennonite populations. You are invited to learn more about the joys and challenges facing Congolese Mennonites. Come and hear Pastor Adolphe Komuesa, president of Mennonite Church of Congo, as he shares about his church community and country. Mennonite mission network’s Janet Stucky will also share about her work in Benin, West Africa. This event is sponsored by Africa Inter-Mennonite Mission, and will take place on Sunday June 28 beginning at 6:30pm at Bethel College Mennonite Church, 2600 College Ave, North Newton, KS 67117. Dessert and coffee will be served. RSVP by calling 574-535-0077.
Western District Conference
2517 North Main, PO Box 306
North Newton KS 67117
316-283-6300; FAX: 316-283-0620